Speculation: Anaheim Expansion and defensemen

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Seeing that the Ducks have a pleuthora of defense talent, and that they likely will want to do something to add to their forward core, it seems easy enough to assume they will deal a defenseman, but who???

To me it won't be one of their young, expansion exempt guys. Theodore, Larsson and Montour will be in SoCal next year.

Lindholm is their future, it would take an Eichel/Matthews return (I won't say McDavid because... McDavid) so that's a no-go.

Fowler seems like a possibility. One year left on his contract after this current season, he's got good value and was rumored all last off-season. But he's been their best guy this off-season, and if a cup window is open, he's a big part of it, so for now, I'd say no-go.

Despres/Stoner/Bieksa are unmovable for a number of reasons. Despres/injuries, Stoner/Contract & diminished value, Bieksa has an NMC.

But as Anaheim fans have stated, I believe Bieksa will waive his NMC for expansion protection purposes, knowing he won't be selected. And if he doesn't will he bought out of his last year.

This leaves Manson and Vatanen. To me it's very simple. Theodore, Fowler, and Montour all add Vatanen's main component, offensive skill and puck-moving ability.
Manson on the other hand, gives the Ducks the type of defenseman almost no-one else currently on the club or in the pipeline does, big, stay-at-home, steadying type of player.

This is why I believe Sami Vatanen will be the defenseman traded by the Ducks this off-season, before the expansion draft.

If they do make a trade for help at the trade deadline for forward help, the only guy I could really see being moved is Marcus Pettersson. He's a relatively high pick (2nd round). 20yrs old, expansion exempt, good upside but still behind guys like Lindholm/Fowler/Theodore/Larsson on the left side, let alone Manson/Montour on the right (and Vatanen if he's not dealt if course).

Just my two cents. I could be totally wrong, and the depth on the left side could persuade them to deal Fowler with one year remaining on his deal so they don't end up like St.Louis with Shattenkirk, but I think the organization thinks much too highly of Fowler and would much rather keep him on board and try to re-sign him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Spot on. We need Lindholm and Fowler, Manson fits so perfectly beside them and has no peer/replacement. Sami is awesome but our most NHL ready dmen seem equipped to soon handle his role. We definitely should be holding on to those big three D prospects as we already stand to be moving a top 4 guy.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I think it's going to come down to 2 things. 1) how much they value they place on the handedness of the D and 2) whether or not they think they will be able to afford to re-sign Fowler. I just don't see BM putting them in the position where they trade Vats and end up letting Fowler walk in FA so they end up with neither.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Which wing is Ana looking for, still the left?

Right now I would say we need a RW, with Rakell, Cogliano and Ritchie doing a great job as our top 9 LWs, but Rakell could likely switch wings if needed. We can more or less just pursue the best player/fit possible, ideally some who shoots left as all of our best offensive guys are righties.

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I think Parenteau to Anaheim could make sense and I'd take Stoner as a cap dump, heck throw in Boll too
To NJ: Stoner, Boll, Wagner, and a 1st
To Ana: Parenteau, Quincey, and Fiddler (all are on expiring deals)

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I think it's going to come down to 2 things. 1) how much they value they place on the handedness of the D and 2) whether or not they think they will be able to afford to re-sign Fowler. I just don't see BM putting them in the position where they trade Vats and end up letting Fowler walk in FA so they end up with neither.

Ideally, for your top 4 D, that's where you are most concerned about pairing RD and LD. Bottom pairing not as concerned.

Also, consider who the young D is most likely to replace.

Theodore and Larsson are Lefts. Montour is a RD. He is a an offensive D.

Factor in contracts.

Vatanen is signed long term. Fowler has 1 more year left.

They will be making a move after the season ends. They can't sign an extension with Fowler until after the expansion draft. But, we all know that they can have backdoor talks to get the framework of a deal done if Sami is the one to move.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Ideally, for your top 4 D, that's where you are most concerned about pairing RD and LD. Bottom pairing not as concerned.

Also, consider who the young D is most likely to replace.

Theodore and Larsson are Lefts. Montour is a RD. He is a an offensive D.

Factor in contracts.

Vatanen is signed long term. Fowler has 1 more year left.

They will be making a move after the season ends. They can't sign an extension with Fowler until after the expansion draft. But, we all know that they can have backdoor talks to get the framework of a deal done if Sami is the one to move.

Montour seems like a good match to take over for Vatanen.. the downside of that is that you're guaranteeing top 4 minutes for either Montour or Bieksa... niether of which seems like a particularly attractive option

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Buffalo remains the best trade partner but I think it's been best to death and if the OP is listing vats as the guy available I'd pass as he doesn't fit what the sabres need.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Buffalo remains the best trade partner but I think it's been best to death and if the OP is listing vats as the guy available I'd pass as he doesn't fit what the sabres need.

What makes you think that? I don't see a player on Buffalo that can help the Ducks now as well be a quality for quality trade that Sabers fans would be willing to give up. I would agree that Vats doesn't make much sense here.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
OP nailed it, well done. One possibility that was mentioned on the Ducks forum was Vatanen being dealt mid-season as part of a slightly bigger deal with another veteran defenseman coming back as part of the return, a stop-gap for the rest of this season. It was something along the lines of Miller + Klein or Palat + Coburn/Garrison... obviously with Anaheim adding to Sami accordingly. Outside of that, it's tough to imagine a scenario where Vatanen, or any of our top 4, is moved mid-season without leaving a gigantic hole on defense. If we were outside the playoff picture that would be another story.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015

Buffalo already dropped the ball last summer. Other than Reinhart none of Buffalo's pieces are enticing.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Pretty simple imo if Bieksa waives his NMC for the expansion draft. Vatanen most likely(or Manson) have to go for a forward. Can easily resign Fowler because they have alot of capspace when his new contract will start in the 2018/2019 season.

Protect Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Rakell, Silfverberg, Cogliano and the winger they trade Vatanen/Manson for.
Protect Lindholm, Fowler and Manson/Vatanen.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
OP nailed it, well done. One possibility that was mentioned on the Ducks forum was Vatanen being dealt mid-season as part of a slightly bigger deal with another veteran defenseman coming back as part of the return, a stop-gap for the rest of this season. It was something along the lines of Miller + Klein or Palat + Coburn/Garrison... obviously with Anaheim adding to Sami accordingly. Outside of that, it's tough to imagine a scenario where Vatanen, or any of our top 4, is moved mid-season without leaving a gigantic hole on defense. If we were outside the playoff picture that would be another story.

How about Miller+Klein for Vatanen and Welinski?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Buffalo already dropped the ball last summer. Other than Reinhart none of Buffalo's pieces are enticing.

As a Sabres fan I agree with this. The supposed Fowler deal fell through. It happens. I can understand both GM's perspectives.

There's also the fact that we'd much rather protect 7-3-1 (in my eyes at least). Trading for any Anaheim defenseman that gets dealt (again, likely Vatanen imo), would force us to protect 4-4-1.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Only desirable piece is Marner and Nylander though (Matthews and Reilly off limits obviously). Fowler/Vatanen/Montour would be on the table, definitely not Lindholm or Manson.

You wouldn't trade Manson for Marner or Nylander? Oh pretty please.....

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
How about Miller+Klein for Vatanen and Welinski?

I'd rather hang on to Welinski. Take him out of the deal and replace him with a 2017 2nd -- then we're really onto something IMO. Anaheim has two seconds this year, you'd get whichever pick ends up being better.

Also I'd hope you'd take Logan Shaw as a mini dump to make the cap/contract implications even on both sides. Shaw is a 4th line plug with an expiring contract ($660k cap hit), the Rangers can easily just bury him. We could even throw in a late-round draft pick as a sweetener for taking him on.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I'd rather hang on to Welinski. Take him out of the deal and replace him with a 2017 2nd -- then we're really onto something IMO. Anaheim has two seconds this year, you'd get whichever pick ends up being better.

Also I'd hope you'd take Logan Shaw as a mini dump to make the cap/contract implications even on both sides. Shaw is a 4th line plug with an expiring contract ($660k cap hit), the Rangers can easily just bury him. We could even throw in a late-round draft pick as a sweetener for taking him on.

I think Werenski would have to be in, atleast for me. We Are so weak on right defense both on the team now but possibly even weaker in our prospect pool. A second isnt going to cut it,atleast for me. I mean i think its a trade that fills a huge need for us but man will it be hard to let Miller go. Much harder than trading Hayes Even though Hayes mas more upside and talent. Miller is our own draftpick and it has been great watching him develop and he is really starting to reach his potential which is damn fun to see. Such a hardworker, great around to boards, can skate, pp and pk, very good 5v5. Its just really fun to see our own draftpick that i didnt really believe could reach his potential(but we all knew he could be very good) Improving the way Miller has done and turning into a hopefully consistent 50+ point player at worst. Him and Hayes has taken huge steps this season and Are both on 60 point pace.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Werenski would have to be in, atleast for me. We Are so weak on right defense both on the team now but possibly even weaker in our prospect pool. A second isnt going to cut it,atleast for me. I mean i think its a trade that fills a huge need for us but man will it be hard to let Miller go. Much harder than trading Hayes Even though Hayes mas more upside and talent. Miller is our own draftpick and it has been great watching him develop and he is really starting to reach his potential which is damn fun to see. Such a hardworker, great around to boards, can skate, pp and pk, very good 5v5. Its just really fun to see our own draftpick that i didnt really believe could reach his potential(but we all knew he could be very good) Improving the way Miller has done and turning into a hopefully consistent 50+ point player at worst. Him and Hayes has taken huge steps this season and Are both on 60 point pace.
vatanen + welinski
For
Miller and klien

Is pretty perfect like the poster above said you may have to take someone like shaw as a lil cap dump, but as a starting point that seems good.

We still have montour theodore larsson mahura and petterson as potential nhl dmen, and we draft d really well so losing welinski isnt a big time loss.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Spot on. We need Lindholm and Fowler, Manson fits so perfectly beside them and has no peer/replacement. Sami is awesome but our most NHL ready dmen seem equipped to soon handle his role. We definitely should be holding on to those big three D prospects as we already stand to be moving a top 4 guy.

A lot of teams will want a righty D like Vatanen

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If Anaheim is trading a D like Vatanen, chances are they are doing it for picks and prospects. (Prospects that don't need to be protected and ELC salary).

I would imagine they are trying to set up the 7-3-1 expansion protection.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
If Anaheim is trading a D like Vatanen, chances are they are doing it for picks and prospects. (Prospects that don't need to be protected and ELC salary).

I would imagine they are trying to set up the 7-3-1 expansion protection.

We'd have a spot to protect a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad