Prospect Info: Anaheim Ducks sign Julius Nättinen to 3 year ELC

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Nattien? Close enough.

Late 2nd rounder and already signed. Quite surprising. I hope the youngsters would go try OHL for example instead super defensive FEL with less ice time.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Seems like a cool dude. Nice little interview as well. Respect for his "tack så mycket" at the end. :)

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I'm pretty sure that would only happen if he played games in Anaheim. If memory serves, their contract slides if they stay in the AHL.

That's correct. Lindholm signed as an 18 year-old and played an entire season in Norfolk right away and his contract slid to the next season. Hell it could have slip again I think if he didn't play at least ten games in the 13-14 season but I could be wrong about that. But if Nattinen plays in San Diego next year he absolutely won't burn a year off of his deal. I hope he doesn't though since he'll get a lot more ice-time in Barrie if he takes that route. The Gulls are pretty stocked at the moment and I don't think it'll serve his development to have him fight for third or fourth line minutes when he could be a key contributor to the Colts.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
That's correct. Lindholm signed as an 18 year-old and played an entire season in Norfolk right away and his contract slid to the next season. Hell it could have slip again I think if he didn't play at least ten games in the 13-14 season but I could be wrong about that. But if Nattinen plays in San Diego next year he absolutely won't burn a year off of his deal. I hope he doesn't though since he'll get a lot more ice-time in Barrie if he takes that route. The Gulls are pretty stocked at the moment and I don't think it'll serve his development to have him fight for third or fourth line minutes when he could be a key contributor to the Colts.

SD has some talent, but are weak down the middle. Sgarbossa is the only legit center there. Laganier is a C/Wing tweener.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
SD has some talent, but are weak down the middle. Sgarbossa is the only legit center there. Laganier is a C/Wing tweener.

He'd be behind Mueller too. He could the first-line center in Barrie playing with kids his age. I think he will have to be exceptional to warrant playing in San Diego and pushing a couple of guys with lots of pro experience down the depth chart. There's no rush with this kid. Unless he is exceptional. I guess we'll find out in camp.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Watched all the videos I could find of him and read up a lot on him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he is our #2C the last 2 years of Kesler contract with Kesler moving to wing, reminds me of Kopitar very much.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I'm pretty sure that would only happen if he played games in Anaheim. If memory serves, their contract slides if they stay in the AHL.

For some reason, I misremembered that. I thought there was a minimum number of AHL games that Lindholm had to be on the roster for to get it to slide, and that because he wasn't on the NHL or AHL roster after his concussion that he found a loophole. :dunno:

DuckJazz

Jan 11, 2014
Watched Julius in Finland, he's a strong player. Very excited to see him in the ducks uniform in the coming years.

E: to give my 2 cents, I'd love to see him in CHL or the AHL. I don't believe he'd get enough icetime in Finland.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Yes.

Lindholm could have slid another year actually. Until he's age 20.

For some reason, I misremembered that. I thought there was a minimum number of AHL games that Lindholm had to be on the roster for to get it to slide, and that because he wasn't on the NHL or AHL roster after his concussion that he found a loophole. :dunno:

On NA ice, if the player isn't 20 years of age, then he either stays at the NHL level or gets sent back to juniors. This helps to protect junior teams to keep talent rather than have it stashed at the AHL level.

Because Lindholm came across the pond, he can go to the AHL as an 18 or 19 year old. At the same time, it doesn't count against his ELC because you have to be on the NHL roster as an 18 or 19 year old. yeah... I learned that and was surprised. No loophole. The NA junior leagues want to retain talent as long as they could. And they don't care too much about European junior leagues... ha ha ha

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think he spends this year overseas IMO. The Gulls have Sgarbossa and Kerdiles that can play top 2 center with Ritchie and possibly Friberg as the top 2 LW. Not sure if it would be worth it to bring him over just for juniors. The competition probably isn't a whole lot better than what he is getting in Finland and he would be more comfortable in Europe. If he plays in SD they can more closely monitor him and help him make that transition. But they only do that if they feel there is nothing he can build on at a lower level.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
If he does go to the CHL, would he be stuck there for 2 years?

That's a good question. Being that he is a European and was drafted while playing for a European team he's eligible to play in the AHL this season. But does that become null and void if he goes to the CHL? I don't think it's that big of a concern if he now is treated like any other CHL player at this point. If Getzlaf and Perry can play their 19 and 20 year-old seasons in the CHL so can this kid.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
If he does go to the CHL, would he be stuck there for 2 years?
By stuck there you mean he can't play AHL?

I think that's covered in a non-public document so it's hard to say. But my guess would be he could play in the AHL as a 19-20 year old. Because ineligibility for the AHL was based on where they were drafted out of (ie Europe).

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
By stuck there you mean he can't play AHL?

I think that's covered in a non-public document so it's hard to say. But my guess would be he could play in the AHL as a 19-20 year old. Because ineligibility for the AHL was based on where they were drafted out of (ie Europe).

That's pretty much exactly it. He wasn't drafted out of major junior, so he is eligible at any time to play in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad