Prospect Info: Anaheim Ducks sign Julius Nättinen to 3 year ELC

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
The Anaheim Ducks have signed forward Julius Nattinen to a three year, entry level contract.

Nattinen was the Ducks 2nd round (59th overall) pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

An athletic two-way center that leads by on-ice example. Boasts refined skating habits that allow him to accelerate very quickly yet maintain a perfect amount of steam to grind out long shifts. A highly-skilled puckhandler who is confident in his abilities, Nättinen possesses the skill traits that drop jaws. Very tight-knit with teammates and keeps up a winning attitude at all times. Very creative in the offensive end and a responsible, stable presence in his own end. His size is a factor when he bulls his way into the offensive end, and he doesn't shy away from the physical game. All-in-all, a dynamic two-way center that can battle through long, hard shifts and make a difference against other teams' top players. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

Julius Nättinen's approach to the game, as well as his poise with the puck, makes scouts think of current NHLer Anže Kopitar. Strong skater, good hands and puck control, and a dominant transitional game. While it is quite unlikely that he reaches a Kopitar-esque level, it is hard not to like a player with his complete package.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
That was quick for a 2nd rounder. Can't hurt. Wonder where he's going to play next year. The OHL route would allow us to get more updates on him, I suppose.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
He'd be eligible for the AHL if the brass think he'd better serve his development there. With our void of centers in the pipeline, it wouldn't surprise me if that is where he ends up.

Oct 18, 2011
He'd be eligible for the AHL if the brass think he'd better serve his development there. With our void of centers in the pipeline, it wouldn't surprise me if that is where he ends up.
i'd rather see him in the OHL first and get alot of ice time

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
But he wasn`t impressive in scrimmages, am i right?

Would be interesting to see him in North America, although i doubt it`s San Diego. We have already signed enough centers as it is for the Gulls.

OHL would be better as we would get more updates on him but on the other hand - if he can bull his way to SM-Liiga he could get more pro experience.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

Would be interesting to see him in North America, although i doubt it`s San Diego. We have already signed enough centers as it is for the Gulls.

OHL would be better as we would get more updates on him but on the other hand - if he can bull his way to SM-Liiga he could get more pro experience.

He was impressive in both games. He read the play before it happened.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He was impressive in both games. He read the play before it happened.

Then i have misunderstood something. That is really good to hear and i guess he impressed our staff enough. Also helps that he already have a body like a pro

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This article says that the contract allows him to stay in Finland for another year. Makes sense. Found another article suggesting the same.

So it will be next year in JYP and then pretty sure it will be San Diego

DaDucks*

Nattinen: He was the biggest eye opener for me, and the best player on the white team by a mile. Strong possession, couple very nice passes, and very good on the forecheck. He is sneaky fast for his size which caused a couple problems for the dark team trying to exit their zone.

Kerdiles: Yikes, the guy was a disaster! He was fighting the puck, fighting himself, looked extremely nervous, had some confident moves, but they just led to turnovers. Sure the effort was there, it seemed like he was hitting other people out of frustration. What a sad showing compared to last year :(

Noel: Seems like just a offensive weapon. He had one hell of a slippery pass that led to the white team's only goal. Gets his shot off petty well, and has a good nose for the puck around the net.

nope...

DaDucks*

I like his modern take on the "flock of seagulls hair style"

Reference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad