Anaheim Ducks hire Geoff Ward as an assistant coach

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Coaching carousel stops in Anaheim. Former Flames head coach Geoff Ward to join Dallas Eakins staff. Kirk Muller was also a candidate before accepting the job in Calgary.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Actually a pretty good assistant. Will be interesting if he takes over from Eakins should the latter be fired

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ward has interesting ideas. The problem is that he seemingly cannot convert ideas into a system of his own that the players were able to buy in on. The line blending stuff and strategy tweaks he did while the Flames HC were ridiculous in number. I don't know if he will learn how to do this and create his own system if he gets a HC gig again, but that's of none of my concern.

However, he seems to be an excellent AC, so this could potentially work well for the Ducks. Just don't promote Ward if Eakins is turfed. Replace Eakins with a different HC instead.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Ward is frustrating to watch coach. He doesn't adapt to the game in progress. Good luck.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Blended the shit out of every line accept Gaudreau when Monahan was clearly hurt.

Seems like a good assistant though

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Title needs to be changed to assistant coach. A lot of fans sending out their condolences but he’s only hired as an assistant.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Title needs to be changed to assistant coach. A lot of fans sending out their condolences but he’s only hired as an assistant.

I think some of the condolences is the fact that the Ducks are hearing about coaching moves, but it's to insulate Eakins vs replace him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Very good power play coach with NJ
I didn’t appreciate him much when we had him, but it’s ridiculous that he was literally the only coach that Shero hired that he actually wound up letting go, until he finally fired Hynes, which was long overdue by that point.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think some of the condolences is the fact that the Ducks are hearing about coaching moves, but it's to insulate Eakins vs replace him.

I think Eakins has 1 more year left (so does Murray as GM), during a rebuild owners probably don't want to spend money paying two coaches and two GM's, so when Murray goes so does Eakins with the new GM hiring his own coach. At least that seems to be the hope around here.

Reactions: Fig

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Not the worst out there, but I don't see him getting a head coaching gig unless Eakins is canned.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

The title literally says Anaheim Ducks hire Geoff Ward as an assistant coach. :huh:

Which is fine, he's a fine AC much like Gulutzan was a fine AC and continues to be a fine AC. Just don't let him take over head coaching duties. Ever.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so many posts wondering why eakins is still coaching at the NHL level

he's awful, but the ducks have absolutely no reason to fire him right now given the sad state of their roster. no coach could've had success with the team the ducks were icing in 20-21. eakins will likely remain HC until the ducks show they can compete for the playoffs again, then they'll fire him and bring in someone better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad