Anaheim/Detroit rivalry

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Detroit is the only team I feel was a legitimate, and honestly born rivalry.

they really were the ducks only true rival

i still see the kings and sharks as nothing more than "geographic rivals." but the ducks-wings rivalry really was something remarkable from 03-09. sweeping the defending champ wings in '03 to begin that cinderella run and beating them in 7 games in '07 to advance to the cup finals. teemu's game 5 winner is still the biggest goal in ducks history to me

but i'll admit, i still get mad when i think of daniel effing cleary scoring the winner in game 7 in '09. i really do think that team would have gone to the finals if they had gotten past detroit in round 2. and it sucks that the rivalry had to end on a sour note with that painful series loss in '13 (screw you abdelkader you POS)

i really do hope we meet them in the SCF to rekindle the intensity of the old rivalry

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
I love both teams. At least the Lidstrom era, and it's current leftovers. Big fan of Dats and Zetts. I'm probably in a small group of such people. So I'm happy to have the wings in the east, so they can be the team I watch away from the Ducks and not feel like I'm rooting for a rival.

As for the rivalry, wings fans can be pretty annoying by denying its a rivalry. Don't know why. It's a pretty obvious rivalry.

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't think this was mentioned already, but didn't the ducks play the Red Wings for their first game in their inaugural season ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad