Anaheim best record in the league...+8 Goal Differential

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Without a doubt, its a sign the team is going to start to slide down the standings.

No way they can continue to be on the positive side of 1 goal games like they have been almost every time so far this season.

They literally have gotten at least 1 point in every 1 goal game they've been a part of.

Soon enough that will change, and they'll start losing a few of these. I don't think Anaheim is in the top 5 in the league when the season is done. They're still a good team, and a threat come playoff time, but they're over performing a bit right now.

Why can't they just be good at protecting leads? Which they are BTW. The biggest reason our G/D is so bad is that we get zero offense from our bottom 6, so we have to grind out victories. Obviously they have overperformed thus far with all the injuries they've dealt with, but it doesn't mean they're going to slide in the standings, now that they finally have a healthy roster.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Without a doubt, its a sign the team is going to start to slide down the standings.

No way they can continue to be on the positive side of 1 goal games like they have been almost every time so far this season.

They literally have gotten at least 1 point in every 1 goal game they've been a part of.

Soon enough that will change, and they'll start losing a few of these. I don't think Anaheim is in the top 5 in the league when the season is done. They're still a good team, and a threat come playoff time, but they're over performing a bit right now.

I actually believe the opposite of this statement. I would say that they will finish top 5, but as of now, aren't really a threat come playoff time and I'd say they're under performing as of now.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why can't they just be good at protecting leads? Which they are BTW. The biggest reason our G/D is so bad is that we get zero offense from our bottom 6, so we have to grind out victories. Obviously they have overperformed thus far with all the injuries they've dealt with, but it doesn't mean they're going to slide in the standings, now that they finally have a healthy roster.

Because you don't always have a lead to protect in 1 goal games. 20-0-6 in one goal games is a bit fluky. Like today, it's possible that there's no turnover on the Zuccarello goal and no empty net, they lose 2-1, no lead to come back from. Sure they could have tied the game at some point, but that's a tough thing to do in this league. A lot of teams are good in protecting leads but they don't have such a ridiculous record in one goal games.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I actually believe the opposite of this statement. I would say that they will finish top 5, but as of now, aren't really a threat come playoff time and I'd say they're under performing as of now.

+1
They have been great with the games missed this year, but just don't look complete.
Defense gets scattered, and too many guys go from good to awful game to game for me to be confident for playoffs.

Hoping to be wrong..............again:)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I agree with this. I think they win the Pacific but I'm a bit worried about us come playoff time. There is a complete lack of depth scoring. This team relies way too much on Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Lack of offense from the bottom-6 will eventually affect their place in the standings (or get them eliminated from the playoffs, whichever comes first).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Last year I might have said something different, but this year I'm not expecting much come playoff time.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Why aren't the Ducks ever a cap team? That would drive me insane if I was a Ducks fan. An extra 4M player (or 8M player at the deadline) is the difference between beating LA last playoffs. 12 M under in 11-12, 13M in 12/13, 4.5M last year and another 4M this year.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Why aren't the Ducks ever a cap team? That would drive me insane if I was a Ducks fan. An extra 4M player (or 8M player at the deadline) is the difference between beating LA last playoffs. 12 M under in 11-12, 13M in 12/13, 4.5M last year and another 4M this year.

This upsets me. And to be honest i think it has been also the difference in the playoffs when we hang in but simply fall short of talent vs Detroit and LA (last 2 seasons). Like you pointed out, another good/star player could make a big difference. But it doesn`t matter because apparently Boudreau don`t know how to coach :sarcasm:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
This upsets me. And to be honest i think it has been also the difference in the playoffs when we hang in but simply fall short of talent vs Detroit and LA (last 2 seasons). Like you pointed out, another good/star player could make a big difference. But it doesn`t matter because apparently Boudreau don`t know how to coach :sarcasm:

Samueli is the 8th richest owner and the team has 97% attendance. They're wasting Getz and Perry's prime over $4M.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Given the acquisitions this season (throwing almost $3M at Bryz, trading for Brewer and his $3.5M, signing Stoner for $3.5M) it appears that Murray has been authorised to spend a bit more. If we don't get anyone at the deadline it's because prices are too high, not because of lack of $$.

Oct 18, 2011

I will bet you they win their division comfortably
the team has had alot of injuries, and some good players haven't played to their potential(cogliano, fowler, DSP, come to mind)

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Anaheim is Montreal West. They are a good team completely overachieving to be in the position they are currently in.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Anaheim is Montreal West. They are a good team completely overachieving to be in the position they are currently in.

We've been overachieving for 3 years now apparently.

We're different to Montreal in that we don't have a goalie that stands on his head every night (among other things). Our goaltending has been maybe slightly above average at best so far this season.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
We've been overachieving for 3 years now apparently.

We're different to Montreal in that we don't have a goalie that stands on his head every night (among other things). Our goaltending has been maybe slightly above average at best so far this season.

Join the club! So have we (the Habs)!

Won the division, then made it to ECF and now are battling for the top spot in the East.

Our teams are both elite at overachieving! :nod:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like how this thread gets bumped after every loss....

Im not to worried though were going to be a top team in the league going into playoffs.... i have a little more confidence in the team then id say most people on the boards, i also fully expect us to make a pretty big splash at the deadline to help fill our holes(mainly a top 4 dmen, possibly a 3rd line center).

A few players have under performed this year offensively so far, im guessing guys like silfverberg/cogliano/dsp/maroon will find some scoring eventually(i dont care if they wait till playoffs). The west is tough, only 1 team can go to the cup..... do i think they team can win a cup sure, but i think a lot of other teams are very capable of winning the cup also.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It's actually pretty easy to understand. The Ducks focus on defense more. They don't win games anymore with 5 goals. We win the low scoring games. We do lack the offensive depth to win these high scoring games. Luckily our defense is good enough to keep them low scoring. The high scoring games are generally due a product of occasional poor goaltending.

Have the Ducks overachieved so far? I'd say yes, but considering the injuries we've dealt with this year, it's unreal where we are in the standings, especially in the west.

A team can still dominate a game and win by 1 or 2 as well. It'd be nice to win by more, but it's not really that big of a deal. We dominated the Oiler games and only win those by a goal or two. Does that make them less impressive?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Lack of offense from the bottom-6 will eventually affect their place in the standings (or get them eliminated from the playoffs, whichever comes first).

The defense and goaltending have and will continue to keep them at the top of the standings. I do agree that the depth scoring is a major concern in the playoffs. Hopefully Murray finds a fix before the deadline for that.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I think the record they have is very inflated. They aren't as good as it indicates.

They are still REALLY good though. I think if they stay sharp in goal they are going to be a really tough out in the playoffs.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
18th in goals per game. 18th in goals against per game.

1st in points.

Something doesn't add up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad