Confirmed Trade: [ANA/WSH] Christian Djoos for Daniel Sprong

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Djoos absolutely can QB a PP. He just never got a shot to do so in the NHL with Washington's PP structure

He's certainly not likely to see a better chance to prove himself. With both Fowler and Gudbranson out, the Ducks are wide open in terms of who is going to fill minutes behind Lindholm and Manson. The rest of the D core for now will likely consist of Djoos, Del Zotto, Larsson and Irwin.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Writing was on the wall when Sprong didn't get much chance even for a team that desperately needed scoring.

So Petterson for Djoos now.... seems like we can add this to the list of trade losses with the Penguins. Djoos can be that warm body for the rest of the year with Fowler hurt.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Didn’t Djoos hamper his own playing time by (unexpectedly) going to arbitration before the season? I think the Caps would have liked to play him more this season but were right up against the Cap pretty much every game they had a healthy roster for.

Good player. I think he just priced himself out of the everyday lineup.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
As a Caps fan I always liked Djoos. He can play in the NHL as a regular. Sad to see him go, but glad he was part of the cup winning team.

Actually he hasn't proven yet to be an NHL regular as he has only played 63 games at most in one season of two. Djoos has good speed and offensive instincts for a d-men, but his defensive game and durability are lacking because of his small size. As long as his TOI is sheltered around 13 min, then he's probably serviceable as #6 d-man on a bottom 15 team. As a coach you have to pair him with a d-man who is defensively responsible. Maybe he could QB your 2nd PP unit, but he has done none of that at the NHL level yet. The only reason he worked in the Caps playoff run in '18 becuz he mostly played with Orpik, who almost like a player who coaches on the ice.

I think his best case scenario can be a Connor Carrick player but with more offensive upside

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
Actually he hasn't proven yet to be an NHL regular as he has only played 63 games at most in one season of two. Djoos has good speed and offensive instincts for a d-men, but his defensive game and durability are lacking because of his small size. As long as his TOI is sheltered around 13 min, then he's probably serviceable as #6 d-man on a bottom 15 team. As a coach you have to pair him with a d-man who is defensively responsible. Maybe he could QB your 2nd PP unit, but he has done none of that at the NHL level yet. The only reason he worked in the Caps playoff run in '18 becuz he mostly played with Orpik, who almost like a player who coaches on the ice.

I think his best case scenario can be a Connor Carrick player but with more offensive upside
I've watched a lot of both Djoos and Carrick and personally think Djoos is a much better player already

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He is putrid when it comes to defense. Not sure why a lot of Ducks fans have a hard-on for the guy.
I mean I've felt for a while that he's overrated by the fanbase but it's not hard to understand why. He showed something of a goal scoring touch and Anaheim isn't exactly a world beater offensively. 29th in goals for leaguewide as of today.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Shame to see Djoos go. He was just a victim of circumstance here, but absolutely is an NHL regular. Potential top 4 D. I can't understand trading him for bloody Sprong. If you can't get a decent return, just a conditional 3rd or something.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
As a Penguins fan I was frequently impressed by Djoos, so I’m glad they traded him for a liability at the NHL level.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But wasn't Crosby-Sprong suppose to be good at some point?

For about a game.

It'd be bloody typical if he chose now to put it together but far more likely is he simply doesn't have an NHL calibre game.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Djoos wrote his own faith in Washington by arbitrating his contract up. We didnt have the cap flexibility to give him another chance to revive his spot on the roster fighting through 7D.

Suprised it took so long before anyone took a chance on him and I think Anaheim will be happy in what they got. He was doing very well on AHL, and after all he was one of the top6 dmen who won the cup just less than two years ago. He needs a little sheltering, but he is definately all set for the bottom pairing duties ahead.

Good luck and thanks for the years Juice.

Lets just hope Sprong can score few goals for Hershey and help them win games.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Shame to see Djoos go. He was just a victim of circumstance here, but absolutely is an NHL regular. Potential top 4 D. I can't understand trading him for bloody Sprong. If you can't get a decent return, just a conditional 3rd or something.

Hershey can't score. This was an AHL trade from the Capitals perspective.

Djoos should be given a chance in Anaheim, he has a good offensive instincts and can def QB a PP. I've seen him often in Hershey and he is playing really good right now. His issue is the actual defensive part of being a "defender". He has a well documented hard time putting on weight and because of it he gets pushed around like a rag doll on defense. This of course doesn't matter as much in today's NHL so he can potentially thrive if given a chance.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Bruh Djoos wasn't going to play for the Caps anyway. Why's everyone bitching about him being traded? You prefer him to rot in the minors just because you feel better about him doing it under hershey banners? Sprong is talented. He has wheels and he can shoot. And he's younger than Djoos. What's not to like? Didn't pan out with the Pens. Scored 15 goals for Anaheim then new coach didn't like him and sent him down to AHL. Alright. Nobody was going to trade a prospect whom they really like for Djoos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad