Proposal: Ana - Wpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haringoth

Aug 2, 2019
People seemingly struggle with the concept that in hockey trades, 5 nickels do not equal a quarter. A assets typically require a A- asset and not a smorgasbord of 2nds and old roster players.

Also, am I crazy or do Rakell and Henrique not have wildly differing values. Seems odd to be "pick one".

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Ana:
P. Laine

Wpg:
A. Henrique or R. Rakell
J. Mason
S. Steel or M. Jones
2nd round pick
Trying to make sense of this...proposal, if that’s what this is.

First off Laine would be a great addition for Anaheim, seeing they don’t have a top line winger of Laine’s caliber on their roster.

The second thing would be if Winnipeg would except every player in trade back to them.

If I was Winnipeg I’d choose Rakell over Henrique, Manson would be a decent pickup for Winnipeg even though he had a down season in 19-20, I’d also most definitely take Steel over Jones as Steel has the potential to be a very good center maybe 2C or higher.

I don’t know if Chevy would get a better offer then that from any GM but I’d take that deal if I were Winnipeg.

Rakell is on a dirt cheap deal for the decent production that Rakell puts up, Manson has been a steady defenseman though out his career and could be a nice addition to Winnipeg’s blue line along side Morrissey and Steel should start emerging as a middle 6 center eventually but would be 3C behind Scheifele and Stastny but Lowry or Thompson would have to shift a wing.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just don’t see us paying the price for laine... Jets would want 1 of

Zegras / 1st next year or drysdale , on top of a lot of those pieces you liste

I mean if you can get it done without any of those 3 pieces you do it, but it’s super unlikeky... and honestly I’d be open to moving the first for a player like laine

Last edited:

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
People seemingly struggle with the concept that in hockey trades, 5 nickels do not equal a quarter. A assets typically require a A- asset and not a smorgasbord of 2nds and old roster players.

Also, am I crazy or do Rakell and Henrique not have wildly differing values. Seems odd to be "pick one".

I think you have it backwards. it is very rare that a traded star player returns similar value. see Thornton, Seguin, Jones, hall, oreilly, Burns

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think you have it backwards. it is very rare that a traded star player returns similar value. see Thornton, Seguin, Jones, hall, oreilly, Burns
Unlike those players, there is no reason to trade Laine. There never has been. The story has always been that Chevy is listening to offers but his expectations are really high. The Jets aren’t actively looking to trade him.

This isn’t a Thornton getting run out of town or a Seguin party boy the GM can’t stand, the samedumb GM whose worst debacle wasn’t even trading Hall in Edmonton Etc etc etc.

A Laine trade doesn’t happen without improving the Jets. Stop rolling the nickels and dimes trying to equal a Laine.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I just don’t see us paying the price for laine... Jets would want 1 of

Zegras / 1st next year or drysdale , on top of a lot of those pieces you liste

I mean if you can get it done without any of those 3 pieces you do it, but it’s super unlikeky... and honestly I’d be open to moving the first for a player like laine

Winnipeg will not get any recent top 10 picks who haven’t gotten to the nhl.

Anyone who thinks that has a probem coping with reality.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Anyone who thinks they are getting Laine without giving up that type of player or similar value has a problem coping with reality. If all it took was rolling nickels and dime to get Laine he would be gone by now.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Anyone who thinks they are getting Laine without giving up that type of player or similar value has a problem coping with reality. If all it took was rolling nickels and dime to get Laine he would be gone by now.

Just trade him for Nylander and make everyone here happy

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Just trade him for Nylander and make everyone here happy
That makes no one happy. Leaf fans love Nylander and his contract. They can have him. Jet fans like Laine and what he brings they want to keep him unless it’s for an upgrade. I haven’t seen any Jet fans start a proposal thread about moving Laine. I may have missed them but either way the VAST majority of Jet fans aren’t interested in getting rid of him. These threads are typically started by other fans trying to cheap out on the Jets on a pretend trade that will never happen then they devolve into your comments when Jet fans reject a bunch of small pieces that don’t improve the Jets.

How about you start with a reasonable proposal and make everyone happy.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Laine isn't the player that the Ducks should be going for right now with the likely price. Anaheim needs top pair D and line drivers for the top line. The price on him would be too high for Anaheim to pay right now. He'd be an elite version of Rakell. He'd easily be the best goal scorer/forward on the team, but he seems like a guy that is better suited not being THE guy on his line/team. On Anaheim, he would be the focus of every defense. He'd likely be a 60ish point player on the Ducks because of the lack of support. Jets would want at least one of Zegras/Drysdale, and the Ducks should just stick to the rebuild hope those guys pan out and get another top 10 pick next season. Laine might develop more and be that line driver, but even on a team that has way more offensive weapons than Anaheim, he's a 65-70 point winger.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I'm going to focus on Thornton, Seguin, Jones and Hall as they were all highly drafted players that were traded at a young age.

Jones returned a young top line C in RyJo.

Hall was traded for Adam Larsson who was a top pair D on a value contract at the time.

Seguin returned Loui erikson, who was the most underrated player in the NHL at the time coming of 3 straight 70+ point seasons and signed for 3 more at a reasonable caphit. Plus a recent 1st round pick in Joe Morrow. Plus Reilly Smith who is still playing in the top 6 for Vegas and then a bust in Fraser.

Jumbo Joe returned Marco Sturm, Wayne Premieu and Brad Stuart. Stuart had just finished second in Calder voting the year before. Sturm was a top 6 winger that had more to give and Premieu was a 4th liner at that point.

More often than not there is a premium piece coming back when a young superstar is traded.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I get that this is your opinion, and I concur that they would want proven NHL talent, not high end prospects in return, but the offer in the OP is insulting.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Laine as a fine player. He makes a good chunk of money and will want more on his next contract. Like it or not, that impacts his value.

Anaheim should not be trading futures like Zegras and Drysdale - even for a player like Laine. Certainly not now given the upcoming expansion draft and the fact that there are still significant salaries on Anaheim's cap. After next year is when they should be looking to add.

Maybe Winnipeg can afford to keep him on his next contract and, if so, they probably should.

Reactions: lwvs84

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
I'm going to focus on Thornton, Seguin, Jones and Hall as they were all highly drafted players that were traded at a young age.

Jones returned a young top line C in RyJo.

Hall was traded for Adam Larsson who was a top pair D on a value contract at the time.

Seguin returned Loui erikson, who was the most underrated player in the NHL at the time coming of 3 straight 70+ point seasons and signed for 3 more at a reasonable caphit. Plus a recent 1st round pick in Joe Morrow. Plus Reilly Smith who is still playing in the top 6 for Vegas and then a bust in Fraser.

Jumbo Joe returned Marco Sturm, Wayne Premieu and Brad Stuart. Stuart had just finished second in Calder voting the year before. Sturm was a top 6 winger that had more to give and Premieu was a 4th liner at that point.

More often than not there is a premium piece coming back when a young superstar is traded.

I admit that RyJo appeared to have more potential at the time then what he ended up on nashville. It was evident Jones was a stud

i stand by the other examples which were bad at the time and ended up even worse. the Hall for larsson swap created the meme "one for one" for crying out loud. the sentiment at the time was that chia got bent over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad