Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
last 3 year of kesler in VCR...

13-14 25-18-43pts -15
12-13 11 pts in 17 games
11-12: 77games 22 goals, 27 ass- 49 pts + 11

bonino last year: 77 games 22-27-49 + 14....same stats than kesler in 11-12...similar stats to kesler this year....in last playoffs apparance, kesler got 2 goals in 4 games and 3 assist in 5 games...that isnt very productive....this year bonino got 8 pts in 13 games...i look a couple of anaheim games in the playoffs, this guy played well, good hands, shot...not so physical...

so kesler was a very good player back to 2009-2011...but since then, i wasn't so productive...you got a cheap second line center with a depth D man who was very good in 2011-2012, may be he just need a new start...and a 1st, who will give you a good prospect...will se tonight!

and kesler give a small list to wave is NTC...so maybe you got something fair under circumstance...if kesler would have produce 60-65 pts maybe you had gotten more..

by the way i'm not a anaheim fan

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
And from Murray's mouth came the fact that he wouldn't offer up that deal again because they lost a playoff run. And I remember it being Etem + a couple 2nds.

Yup.

I remember the combinations of 1sts and Etem.

I recall Etem + a couple of seconds coming from Botchfords mouth.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
From reports, Bonino was the guy the Canucks had targeted and the Ducks didn't want to give up. That's the concerning part for me.

Yeah, I get the impression as well that management was dead-set on getting another C back in the deal to fill Kesler's spot - every deal seem to have that as an ingredient.

If they zeroed in on Bonino when they could have zeroed in on DSP or Vatanen and got one of those instead ... major error IMO.

If you want players that can help you win now and you're negotiating with essentially 1 team, then trading Kesler for a disappointing return was inevitable. Regardless of how many fantasy proposals we've seen on here in recent months.

The return will look better once we put a name on that pick. Someone like Honka.

Mainly because late-#1 picks are incredibly over-rated.

The odds a #24 pick turns into a top-6/top-4 NHL player are about 20%.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
From reports, Bonino was the guy the Canucks had targeted and the Ducks didn't want to give up. That's the concerning part for me.

Not so much for me. I'm pretty high on Bonino. He's not Kesler but he can help us. Still think something else is in the works.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Yeah, Mike Gillis would have brought back the same deal. Bonino was the centrepiece Gillis likely wanted as well...

Not sold on that. Just as likely that Gillis was prepared to accept a more future laden package, but it was nixed by ownership's focus on making the playoffs.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
What does the general public say about the trade?

Canucks got fair deal: 63%
Canucks got fleeced: 36%

Per TSN

Perspective everyone.

Interesting results. I'm on the fence with this trade. I'm disappointed with what we got in return, but happy this locker room cancer is gone. I loved him here, but feel his best days are behind him.

I still feel/hope Reinhart will find his way here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dale Weise? Who cares.

Because comparing a guy stepping into a role here (Dorsett) to the guy who filled that role for the last couple years isn't reasonable?

It was a throwaway comment on Weise and I don't want to get into it at all really ... but when the guy represents a downgrade on the player who filled the same position on opening day last year, it's fair comment.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Not so much for me. I'm pretty high on Bonino. He's not Kesler but he can help us. Still think something else is in the works.

I would've dealt Kesler for picks/prospects and use the cap space from this and dealing Garrison on offering Grabovski a 3 year deal.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Agreed. Bonino on the third would be great. Something's brewing for the second line center position.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
There is something wrong with a player's attitude when he goes mouthing off about wanting out of the Canucks during the world stage that is the Olympics.

I'm glad he's gone.

And I'll wait to see how the draft plays out before judging on how we did today.

There's no arguing about his attitude by me. It is what it is. I'm glad he's gone as well, but mostly because of clearing out the doubt and drama around the situation and moving on cleanly.

Glad he is gone. Just heard his interview claiming the Canucks are years away from being competitive and he wants to win now. Good riddance, *****

Nothing incorrect about what he said. The Nucks are years away and he's a 30 year old, who knows his years are limited and wants to win a Cup. Can't really fault him for that. He's pretty direct about it and that may be off-putting, but he's honest about that, and we ought to know that he'll put things bluntly.

I'd love to see Kesler and Bxa drop the gloves next season :laugh:

Don't let Kes know...

8337000_orig.jpg

I love Bieksa... Can we just clone him and make him 20 again?

Kevin ****ing Bieksa. <3

superman.jpg

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
just woke up excited for the draft, saw this headline, and feel like smashing my phone against a wall

was giving benning/linden some benefits of the doubt prior to making any actual player personnel decisions but this one put me firmly in the highly skeptical camp that they have any clear direction on where this team is going

this is the kind of trade that bad teams make...is it for a retool? a rebuild? a mistaken belief that the canucks are still a contender? or just whatever they could get for kesler at the end of the day? no clear vision coming out of this trade other than getting two roster players that appear to be overvalued and a 24th overall pick in a draft where there is a significant drop off in talent around pick 15

thinking that management believes that a guy like bonino, who had an incredible pdo and tons of pp points with two of the league's best players, is the centrepiece of the deal is mind boggling

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Mainly because late-#1 picks are incredibly over-rated.

The odds a #24 pick turns into a top-6/top-4 NHL player are about 20%.

Yet you would rather DSP than this entire package? A guy that is anything but a sure bet to ever match the 50 points just put up by Nick Bonino. If you're going to over-rate prospects, you should do the same for picks. Same goes for Etem. A kid you told me you didn't like 2 months ago - someone you didn't think would develop into a good top 6 player.

The 24th pick is a lottery ticket. It could be nothing, or it could be the next Ryan Kesler. The more tickets you hold, the more good young players you can add to the franchise. Having 4 1sts in 2 years is a start.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
It's interesting seeing the reactions on this board. I know some Duck fans and were really high on Bonino through out this year. He strikes me as a guy with some speed, size and a nose for the net. The Canucks have also dumped some cap in these deals. I think people expecting to get both 1st rounders from the Ducks and a top prospect were being a bit wishful. Would DSP, 2nd, 2nd been better?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Problem is you had 1 NHL team that you were dealing with.
Well it doesn't sound like the Ducks were that quick to want to deal Bonino. I would've taken another pick (even if it's not a 1st) instead of Bonino (and take out Sbisa out of the equation) or prospect.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong if Bonino comes in and scores 45-50 points this upcoming season.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Watching Murray laugh and giggle like a school girl when talking about the trade made me a little sick to my stomach. He looked like a guy that fleeced a gm

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
just woke up excited for the draft, saw this headline, and feel like smashing my phone against a wall

was giving benning/linden some benefits of the doubt prior to making any actual player personnel decisions but this one put me firmly in the highly skeptical camp that they have any clear direction on where this team is going

this is the kind of trade that bad teams make...is it for a retool? a rebuild? a mistaken belief that the canucks are still a contender? or just whatever they could get for kesler at the end of the day? no clear vision coming out of this trade other than getting two roster players that appear to be overvalued and a 24th overall pick in a draft where there is a significant drop off in talent around pick 15

thinking that management believes that a guy like bonino, who had an incredible pdo and tons of pp points with two of the league's best players, is the centrepiece of the deal is mind boggling

Ok, you get to re-do the trade...Kesler only wants to go to Anaheim. Go.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I usually enjoy being proved right, but in this case its not very fun....we just got tooled because our President and GM were spineless and caved to pressure.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Short term you can argue Anaheim is in a better position.

But long term, it's all up to Vancouver, especially who they choose at 24th overall (Kesler was drafted 23rd overall)

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 36s

Jim Benning meeting the media. "When I took the job, Ryan asked to be moved. He's been a great player for us and I worked with his list"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad