Proposal: Ana - Tor

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think there is a deal somewhere involving Nylander and Manson honestly. Seems like a hockey deal and the Ducks have an aging forward core with a stacked defense.
Which becomes less stacked when we move Manson. Until our prospects show they are nhl ready, we don’t have expandable defenseman to move.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Which becomes less stacked when we move Manson. Until our prospects show they are nhl ready, we don’t have expandable defenseman to move.

I don't know if I entirely agree. You have to give to get. I think Manson is fairly untouchable for us given that he is our only physical D as well as our best defensive D but moving Montour is entirely doable imo. A lot of our guys in the pipeline seem to be a similar mould as far as build and playstyle so even though our prospects obviously aren't going to be as good, the upgrade at offense would be worth it imo.

I'd say Montour+ for Nylander would be a good trade for both sides. Both fill areas of need pulling from areas of depth and both are RFA.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't know if I entirely agree. You have to give to get. I think Manson is fairly untouchable for us given that he is our only physical D as well as our best defensive D but moving Montour is entirely doable imo. A lot of our guys in the pipeline seem to be a similar mould as far as build and playstyle so even though our prospects obviously aren't going to be as good, the upgrade at offense would be worth it imo.

I'd say Montour+ for Nylander would be a good trade for both sides. Both fill areas of need pulling from areas of depth and both are RFA.
No. We can’t go into the season with only one good RHD who is nhl ready. Montour is not needed in Toronto, they need a Manson type. There is no trade between these two teams that works for either side for a multitude of reasons.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Ducks aren't good partners for us anymore after they traded Vatanen. We have been in the past. Let's just agree on that.

We could really use Manson/Lindholm but I'm not giving up Nylander for Manson (I would do it for Lindholm). Not saying Ducks would either but that right there ends any discussion.

Panthers or Devils are better partners for us, if they'd be willing to give up Pysyk/Petrovic, Severson/Santini. Or we could go wtih CDH in UFA, lower risk-prove to me in training camp options like Schmaltz if the Blues are open to a Leivo 1-for-1.

But the Ducks aren't a good partner for us, let's make that clear.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Toronto seems stacked at forward (with lots of high end young talent) and not so much on D. The defense is ok, but I'm not sure if its Cup caliber. Bottom line, the roster is imbalanced - opposite of the ducks who are loaded on D.

I don't mean this to troll, but my question is how exactly is Toronto expecting to get a top 3 defenseman without trading Marner or Nylander (or perhaps Kadri)? Is there a high end defensive prospect in the pipeline who will be a solid contributor in the current window? A package of picks and role players is not likely to get top 3 D-man with term at a great cost (Manson).

I suppose free agency is an option - but not many top d-men make it to free agency and then the salary may not be compatible with keeping Tavares, Nylander, Matthews, Marner and Kadri. If Gardiner walks, that saves $$ but opens another hole. If he stays, that is more salary cap pressure.

A player like Manson (great contract and checks all the boxes on the ice) is the kind of guy they eventually will have to acquire unless Toronto trades for rentals each year (i.e., high draft picks). And it seems Nylander/Marner (or maybe Kadri) would need to be in the deal to get a Manson like player.

And just to be clear, I think the ducks will be in re-tool mode soon and MAY need to trade a player like Manson or Montour to get high end forward talent. That decision is probably a year away - once the need to retool becomes clearer and the ducks have a better projection for the current prospects (both defensemen like Larsson who might replace Manson/Montour and forward talent like Sam Steel). But the ducks won't trade Manson/Montour unless the return is a top level player.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Toronto seems stacked at forward (with lots of high end young talent) and not so much on D. The defense is ok, but I'm not sure if its Cup caliber. Bottom line, the roster is imbalanced - opposite of the ducks who are loaded on D.

I don't mean this to troll, but my question is how exactly is Toronto expecting to get a top 3 defenseman without trading Marner or Nylander (or perhaps Kadri)? Is there a high end defensive prospect in the pipeline who will be a solid contributor in the current window? A package of picks and role players is not likely to get top 3 D-man with term at a great cost (Manson).

I suppose free agency is an option - but not many top d-men make it to free agency and then the salary may not be compatible with keeping Tavares, Nylander, Matthews, Marner and Kadri. If Gardiner walks, that saves $$ but opens another hole. If he stays, that is more salary cap pressure.

A player like Manson (great contract and checks all the boxes on the ice) is the kind of guy they eventually will have to acquire unless Toronto trades for rentals each year (i.e., high draft picks). And it seems Nylander/Marner (or maybe Kadri) would need to be in the deal to get a Manson like player.

And just to be clear, I think the ducks will be in re-tool mode soon and MAY need to trade a player like Manson or Montour to get high end forward talent. That decision is probably a year away - once the need to retool becomes clearer and the ducks have a better projection for the current prospects (both defensemen like Larsson who might replace Manson/Montour and forward talent like Sam Steel). But the ducks won't trade Manson/Montour unless the return is a top level player.
the short answer is probably develop one as a long term solution, and maybe trade for a bandaid like a Tanev in the short term, which could definitely be had for something other than Marner/Nylander/Kadri. Tanev is very much like a Manson, just more injury prone

and keep in mind the Leafs have all of their 1st rounders, Liljegren, Grundstrom, Sandin and could spare a young roster player Kapanen, Johnsson or Brown. There's definitely a package of value in there that gets a very good defenseman, it's not a desperate situation where the Leafs only valuable assets are core forwards

Also, Gardiner is probably dealable today because Dermott looks ready for top 4 duties and both of Borgman and Rosen look like NHL players to fill the bottom pairing, and there's a rumour that the leafs are after De Haan as well. Doubt Gardiner makes it to UFA in a leaf uniform

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad