Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Sonny Milano signs extension (2 years, $1.7M AAV)

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Surprised he got this much considering he wasn’t even an NHLer last year, but seems like a good deal.

Reactions: hn777

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Overpayment especially since Bob would fight tooth and nail to save 50k or less but hold a grudge and trade the player within the same year (ie. Wisneski... or more recently Ritchie).

I categorize Milano as another Sprong so I’m not sure why he would do this... smells of desperation for offense.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Overpayment especially since Bob would fight tooth and nail to save 50k or less but hold a grudge and trade the player within the same year (ie. Wisneski... or more recently Ritchie).

I categorize Milano as another Sprong so I’m not sure why he would do this... smells of desperation for offense.

lmao, Milano was/is more talented than Ritchie

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Wow shocked he got 1.7 a year for a couple seasons. Overpay forsure for how little he has done

Alot of average/below average RFAs around the league are happy to see this deal though!

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This all goes back to the 2nd round pick Anaheim traded to Edmonton for Andrew Cogliano, Anaheim would eventually re-sign Cogliano and keep him around a long time and then after a disappointing season with noticable decline they trade him to Dallas for Devin Shore and then a year later Devin Shore is traded for Sonny Milano.

At the time the Ducks traded Cogliano he was age 32 in the first year of a 3 year contract for a total of 9.75mil - 3.25mil per year, they got themselves out of a bad contract by swapping him for Shore and then swapped Shore for an even younger Milano who they now re-signed for 1.7mil per year for 2 seasons.
5 points in 9 games for the Ducks, Milano is a upgrade over Cogliano/Shore at half the price.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's obviously talented, but plays way bellow his talent. There is always a chance, he starts to play as he can, though, and money isn't that big.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He was on pace for 34 points over 82 games. If that's what he brings, then it's a slight overpay. If he bumps his production to 40 point pace, this is a good contract.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This is basically the exact same contract that AA should have signed for without hassle prior to his 2y/3M extension. It's almost like a bog standard RFA contract for this level of player.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Players who play at a 0.5 PPG pace make far more than 1.7 million. Usually, players who score 35 points a year make more than that as well.
Typically, yeah. But this is off his ELC, so sometimes it's a little less than what a player expects at 30-40 points.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
That deal has a chance to work out very well for ANA. If not, it's not crippling and low risk. Sonny has a ton of skill. If any effort across the Red Line (backwards) is shown, he would be well worth that. He has a chance to be a very good PP guy and 35-40 pt players get a lot more than $1.7MM. Not an awful deal and pretty low risk. He has some work to do though.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
That deal has a chance to work out very well for ANA. If not, it's not crippling and low risk. Sonny has a ton of skill. If any effort across the Red Line (backwards) is shown, he would be well worth that. He has a chance to be a very good PP guy and 35-40 pt players get a lot more than $1.7MM. Not an awful deal and pretty low risk. He has some work to do though.

I think this exactly. The Ducks don't need the cap space (and can LTIR Kes if needed). If Milano works out, this is a good contract. Hopefully management's faith in him (slightly overpaying him) leads to Milano working hard off the ice and coming back improved. If he doesn't and he regresses to a non-NHL player, then his cap hit won't hurt the rebuilding Ducks the next couple of years and he can be exposed in the expansion draft or walk after the contract.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Looked good for Anaheim when he got there. Has so much game breaking skill and it will be very interesting to see if he can unlock his potential with a coach who will let him run free. Rooting for him
Yeah completely forgot the difference in coach types. Eakins is more for letting the players be free & develop their game while our previous coach was more like Torts.
I'm not convinced Eakins will be a good playoff coach when the Ducks are ready in several years from now because he's too nice of a guy but since they are rebuilding Eakins is the right coach.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Doesn’t feel like cap is going to be a big deal for the next three seasons so paying a little extra to a young guy isn’t a bad use of assets. If he performs well and it comes re-signing time he may remember this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad