Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Sam Steel and Isac Lundestrom re-sign with the Ducks (1 year, $874.125k)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How is Steel coming along? I always thought he would be better than he has been.

pretty disappointing right now, he showed promise in his first call up but the next year or so he’s struggled to find his game offensively and played more of a grinder style, rather than a potential top 6 player which I think we were hoping for.

Idk he’s smallish, average skater with average shot…. Doesn’t really do any 1 thing above average… still some potential but I’m starting to give up on him becoming anything more than a bottom6/ahl guy

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
pretty disappointing right now, he showed promise in his first call up but the next year or so he’s struggled to find his game offensively and played more of a grinder style, rather than a potential top 6 player which I think we were hoping for.

Idk he’s smallish, average skater with average shot…. Doesn’t really do any 1 thing above average… still some potential but I’m starting to give up on him becoming anything more than a bottom6/ahl guy

Did is skating take a hit? I kept hearing scouts raving about his skating.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Did is skating take a hit? I kept hearing scouts raving about his skating.

His skating has never been great. His hockey IQ though was/is a huge strength. His biggest issue has been consistency and confidence. For stretches of games he looks great then he will have long stretches where he’s very vanilla and overthinks things way too much when he has the puck on his stick.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
How is Steel coming along? I always thought he would be better than he has been.
It's been a rough ride for him, but honestly I don't get why our mgmt didn't send him down to San Diego. He was put into a grinder role instead.

But he is a smart player, I'm hoping for a big year for him and IF he still struggles I hope we send him down just to get some confidence. I has worked greatly with Comtois and Rakell before.
Excited about Lundy as well, I think they both can become really good middle 6 centers (more 3rd line than 2nd probably)

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Steel simply needs to play LW where his lack of great speed and size won't be an issue and would get him away from the grinder center role he's been pushed into.
I think he actually has decent a goal scoring ability that he has shown before and playing LW would allow him to tap more into that.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
How has Isac Lundestrom been doing in Anaheim?
He's fast, he's defensively good, he's 6'0 in height. His upside imo is Pahlson or Danault.
If everything goes right he becomes a 30 to 40 point center with elite defense but most likely it'll be 'great defense' instead of elite defense and probably tops out at 25 to 30 points.

Leading up to the 2018 draft the Ducks knew they'd be missing Kesler for a while,
so was not surprising they went with a high floor Lundestrom who could go straight to the NHL with his NHL ready defensive play.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
It's been a rough ride for him, but honestly I don't get why our mgmt didn't send him down to San Diego. He was put into a grinder role instead.

But he is a smart player, I'm hoping for a big year for him and IF he still struggles I hope we send him down just to get some confidence. I has worked greatly with Comtois and Rakell before.
Excited about Lundy as well, I think they both can become really good middle 6 centers (more 3rd line than 2nd probably)

This! When they have a hard time to find their game, cause the speed and pace in NHL is just to damn fast, send yhrm fown, and important enough - far away from Eakins. That guy is cancer for prospects.

It has worked out fine for Draisaitl, Nurse, Yamamoto, and some extwnt Puöjujärvi tjough in another league.

Ima Steel beliver.

Tshirt already given:
Blades of Steel

Reactions: Getz2noone

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Almost ready to give up on Steel. With this one year contract, can prove himself and see if he can reach that potential. But the odds aren’t looking very good.

Reactions: Arthuros

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
A lot of people complain about Steel being forced into a "grinder role" but I really just think they are trying to give him a chance to carve out an NHL career. He was never going to be an offensive force and has to be a useful defensive/two way player to have any chance. I do agree that spending a bit more time in the AHL may have helped him find more offensive confidence but he can still do that at the NHL level moving forward.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Both have a lot to prove. This could be Steels last real chance in a Ducks uniform if he doesn't progress. And I expect they'll give Lundestrom more time but he needs to show some offense. His production levels are in line with stay at home defenseman rates. I'm not saying he's a bad player but he needs to show he can be more than a 20 point per year guy if he's going to be a long term NHL regular

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I remember hearing that they left Steel in the grinding role to test his metal. Maybe he's not as malleable as we all hoped.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's been said but this is the year that Steel absolutely has to get it together. Lundestrom can carve out a solid career as a decent bottom 6er. If steel doesn't improve then he only has a career in the NHL on the back of Anaheim's weak roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad