Proposal: ANA-PHI

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Jakob Silfverberg

For

Wayne Simmonds

With the addition of JVR flyers don’t really need Simmonds as much, Silf would help flyers on pk and at even strength, simmer will bounce back after an injury plagued season and help out the ducks PP.

Is this trade fair? If not who adds?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Love Simmonds, and a swap would be fine in terms of value, but if we're moving on from Silfverberg I would prefer futures over another expiring contract with a guy creeping beyond his prime. Also, Perry and Simmonds seem a little redundant on the same roster.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
No, if we're trading Silfverberg it means we can't re-sign him and are looking for futures.

Agreed

I'd rather have Silfverberg.

At the same AAV, I also agree. Silf is the better two way player and produces fairly similarly to Simmonds given that he's being used on a line w/ minimal offensive potential around him and in almost exclusively defensive matchups.

Reactions: wankstifier

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Production I guess is a wash, but Simmonds is the more valueable player. Simmer’s intangibles are really what gives him his value.

Silfverberg, again, may produce close to what simmer does and is younger, but he doesn’t bring to the table as what Simmonds does with leadership, locker room presence, and loyalty/support.

I’d much rather have Simmonds.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Production I guess is a wash, but Simmonds is the more valueable player. Simmer’s intangibles are really what gives him his value.

Silfverberg, again, may produce close to what simmer does and is younger, but he doesn’t bring to the table as what Simmonds does with leadership, locker room presence, and loyalty/support.

Silf's value is his defensive play. He's arguably more valuable in his own end than the opponents although he can definitely produce offensively as well.

Not really familiar with Simmonds' intagibles so I can't really speak to their value.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Loyalty and support are warm and fuzzy words but Silfverberg produces similar offense while being one of the better defensive wingers in the game. He's the better overall player and his character doesn't open any doors for off ice intangibles to close the gap.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'd do this as a Philly fan if the gameplan was to go all in for this year. Silfverberg is more valuable at even-strength while Patrick has already proven to be effective in Simmonds' slot on the PP.

Lindblom - Frost/Vorobyov - Silfverberg would be a hell of a 3rd line.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd rather have Silf as well. Don't get by Anaheim hives up the younger better player here 1 for 1 for an older one.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There’s no argument against Silfverberg being the better 2-way 5v5 player, and there’s no real reason for this trade, but I’m confused as to how they produce similarly:

The last 4 seasons per 82 games:

- Silfverberg.....19 goals/43 points

- Simmonds......30 goals/55 points
Is that so similar? Go back 1 season when Simmonds had another 60 point season and take out his injury plagued year this past season and it jumps to 58 points/82 games. It’s no secret Simmonds has been subpar scoring at 5v5 the last 2 seasons (though 2 seasons ago was a disaster for the entire team; and this last season was one bad injury after another, so positive regression is likely in store to some degree), but in the previous handful of years he was at 1.68 p/60 compared to Silf’s 1.64 p/60. There’s a lot going on between usage and injuries and age and team factor to make an evaluative decision, but to say they have produced similarly seems a slight stretch and an odd way to make an argument.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Agreed

At the same AAV, I also agree. Silf is the better two way player and produces fairly similarly to Simmonds given that he's being used on a line w/ minimal offensive potential around him and in almost exclusively defensive matchups.

Yea, no they don't actually. Simmonds is a 30 goal scorer, when has Slifverberg done that ?

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
This seems more a free agency swap than a legit trade. While yes Simmonds is due a significant raise at problematic term silfverberg will probably reup at around 4x4. What incentive is there to sacrifice Simmonds superior production in the meantime? Hes under contract til the end of the season

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This seems more a free agency swap than a legit trade. While yes Simmonds is due a significant raise at problematic term silfverberg will probably reup at around 4x4. What incentive is there to sacrifice Simmonds superior production in the meantime? Hes under contract til the end of the season
Not to be that guy, but Simmonds only had 6 more points than Silf last season, while Silf played with Chris Wagner and a broken Kesler while also playing on a shutdown line. There’s plenty of incentive for both sides to swap players (not suggesting either side should though).

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Not to be that guy, but Simmonds only had 6 more points than Silf last season, while Silf played with Chris Wagner and a broken Kesler while also playing on a shutdown line. There’s plenty of incentive for both sides to swap players (not suggesting either side should though).
Simmonds played 3 rd line rw all year behind Konecny and Voracek. I dont see a huge difference as far as linemates go.

I went back and forth on Simmonds but today i feel like he could sign a frontloaded 5 yrs deal at 6 mil with last 3 yrs without any nmc-ntc. I value his leadership with so many young guys around.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Simmonds also played 3rd line minutes with Val Filpulla and other assorted 4th liners. Through an injury list a bout a mile long all season.

That said, I'd take Silf over Simmonds because what we need is a 3rd liner and Silf is that player. Simmonds isn't. He needs to be in a scoring role, and we just dont have one for him anymore with TK and Voracek in our top 6.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
There’s no argument against Silfverberg being the better 2-way 5v5 player, and there’s no real reason for this trade, but I’m confused as to how they produce similarly:

The last 4 seasons per 82 games:

- Silfverberg.....19 goals/43 points

- Simmonds......30 goals/55 points
Is that so similar? Go back 1 season when Simmonds had another 60 point season and take out his injury plagued year this past season and it jumps to 58 points/82 games. It’s no secret Simmonds has been subpar scoring at 5v5 the last 2 seasons (though 2 seasons ago was a disaster for the entire team; and this last season was one bad injury after another, so positive regression is likely in store to some degree), but in the previous handful of years he was at 1.68 p/60 compared to Silf’s 1.64 p/60. There’s a lot going on between usage and injuries and age and team factor to make an evaluative decision, but to say they have produced similarly seems a slight stretch and an odd way to make an argument.
Yea, no they don't actually. Simmonds is a 30 goal scorer, when has Slifverberg done that ?

This is why I said fairly similar given his role. He role is on the "shutdown" line, matching up against top opposition to keep them from scoring. His role isn't to put up points but to keep the opponent from putting up points. Even still, his point production is only ~10 points less than a guy playing against 3rd liners in a more offensive role.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to disparage Simmonds. I think he'd be great for the Ducks and Simmonds-Silf is as close to an even 1 for 1 as you'll find. All I'm saying is that Silf's offensive output is quite strong given his role and if he were given an offensive role/linemates could very well produce in the same fashion as Simmonds. That's why I'd personally take Silf over Simmonds.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Simmonds would instantly be a 1st line player with Getzlaf, Silf is a valuable 2nd line defensive forward who had a rough year.
It's an instant yes from a Anaheim pov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad