Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Mason Raymond (1 Year, $675k)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
His career is so up and down. He's gone from being a solid bargain priced player to overpaid and back and forth again and again so many times now. Always seems to build up these unrealistic expectations just in time to complete fall short.

At $675k, he's now right back to being good cheap depth.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Could be the biggest steal of the offseason. He didn't do well under Hartley, but I think he'll rebound in Anaheim.

SnipeCelly

Jun 30, 2016
Not surprised by this signing. Carlyle loved him in TO. I really wouldn't be shocked if he popped 15 this year. I also wouldn't be shocked if he played the whole season in the 'A'. He could go either way.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
What kind of depth? He can't kill penalties and can't play a grinding role. If he isn't scoring he's completely useless.

Have you seen our signed wingers? It's Perry, Silfverberg, Cogliano and a bunch of rookies/Ahl players.

Raymond makes sense given it is a 2 way deal.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Best of luck to Mason Raymond. Too bad it didn't work out here. I think he'll do well with their system and score around .3 to .4 PPG for the Ducks.

I feel like he's going to score a hatty against us in the Honda Centre to keep the curse going. :(

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Have you seen our signed wingers? It's Perry, Silfverberg, Cogliano and a bunch of rookies/Ahl players.

Raymond makes sense given it is a 2 way deal.

Sad. You'll get a good look at Raymond soon enough. I expect him to be on waivers by Xmas.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
What kind of depth? He can't kill penalties and can't play a grinding role. If he isn't scoring he's completely useless.

Sad. You'll get a good look at Raymond soon enough. I expect him to be on waivers by Xmas.

What makes me like this move is that it's a 2 way deal. Yes, I realize this does not eliminate him from being claimed if in the AHL. However, what it shows me is that the team doesn't expect to count on him for a regular, or at least important, full time role.

Raymond isn't good, but having players of his talent in the AHL in case of injuries is not a bad thing at all.

I'm upset with how our off-season has gone so far, but this is a good depth move. Even if he doesn't see time in the NHL this year, it helps SD.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
What makes me like this move is that it's a 2 way deal. Yes, I realize this does not eliminate him from being claimed if in the AHL. However, what it shows me is that the team doesn't expect to count on him for a regular, or at least important, full time role.

Raymond isn't good, but having players of his talent in the AHL in case of injuries is not a bad thing at all.

I'm upset with how our off-season has gone so far, but this is a good depth move. Even if he doesn't see time in the NHL this year, it helps SD.

Fair enough. I just don't consider one-dimensional players as depth pieces. If times are so tough because of injuries that Raymond is considered a useful depth addition I assume the season is lost. Even in the A I don't consider him as a useful player. We'll see though.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Fair enough. I just don't consider one-dimensional players as depth pieces. If times are so tough because of injuries that Raymond is considered a useful depth addition I assume the season is lost. Even in the A I don't consider him as a useful player. We'll see though.

I don't agree with this, as a few years ago, the Ducks were using defenseman on like their 12th defenseman (depth chart wise), and we went far.

That said, I understand your point. However, I disagree because I can't see a negative to this signing at all with it being two way. If he's not in the NHL, he's being paid a AHLers salary, which is ideal for a budget team. If he performs well, he's signed for basically league minimum. If there's injuries; we've got a guy who's performed well before, as well as shown chemistry with one of our centers. I see this guy filling the extra forward role or AHL role.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
MayRay could spend some time riding the bus in Utica...of course he'll still be collecting his multi-million dollar buyout...maybe the team will let him drive his lambo alongside the bus?

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
It's a two way deal at a cheap price for a short term. Not much at all to hate about the move.

It is VERY typical Bargain Basement Bob, but realistically there isn't a lot he can do.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
This is like diving into a dumpster and finding a perfectly edible McDouble.

It's not great in a vacuum, but for what we could realistically sign, it's decent.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
675K is a very low risk move. Hard to not like this deal for Raymond. It is barely 4th line money. If he can score 15-20 goals this season on that salary, it would turn out to be a very good deal for Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad