an open debate on our defensemen.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
OK, so I got called out in another thread about saying Ellis was our slowest defenseman.

I've grown to like Ellis now so I don't think I'm being biased when I say to me he's our slowest skater. His size and speed to me have always been his biggest issues. His hands and vision though can usually keep this from being an issue. I don't' think he's a bad skater, his balance and transition are fine but his top end speed is lacking, from what I've seen.

Am I wrong though?

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I don't think Ellis is "slow". I think he has good speed (you need speed to be effective and he is) I just think he lacks a great first two steps. He doesn't need it that often though because he is in position, and if he gets caught in the offensive zone, I personally have confidence in his speed to get back.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
OK, so I got called out in another thread about saying Ellis was our slowest defenseman.

I've grown to like Ellis now so I don't think I'm being biased when I say to me he's our slowest skater. His size and speed to me have always been his biggest issues. His hands and vision though can usually keep this from being an issue. I don't' think he's a bad skater, his balance and transition are fine but his top end speed is lacking, from what I've seen.

Am I wrong though?

you are correct. Except maybe bartley. I think the fact he may also be our brightest defenceman positionally masks it.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Ellis doesn't have a ton of speed, true, but he sees the game at a very high level and manages to make up for his lack of speed most of the time by being in the right place at the right time. His defensive game has come along MUCH better than I was afraid it would. I was afraid he'd end up being a very one-dimensional player on the back end - all O and no D. Instead he's holding his own in his own end of the ice. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar first-pairing defender just because of his size, but if he keeps working on his skating and gets just a little faster I think he could actually be a very solid second-pairing guy with star offensive skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad