An Offseason in Review

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Favourite: signing MacArthur to a great contract.

Least favourite: Not picking up a top 4 D. The same troubles that killed us last year may hurt our chances again this season.

This. I see our O dipping a bit with the loss of Spezza, and our D will not improve enough to pick up the slack. We were one of the worst teams defensively last year and we did nothing to improve, except cross our fingers and hope that everyone was having a "down year" and will improve drastically...

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Good:
Signing Lehner
Signing Legwand
Signing Mac
Bad:
Signing Phillips
Spezza Return
Not Signing Da Costa
Signing Michalek
Signing Anderson

I really feel this off-season was terrible for Murray and Co.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Best:
Legwand signing

Worst:
Not seducing Bobby Ryan into signing yet (Phillips resigned before offseason or else this would be the worst damn move ever)

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This. I see our O dipping a bit with the loss of Spezza, and our D will not improve enough to pick up the slack. We were one of the worst teams defensively last year and we did nothing to improve, except cross our fingers and hope that everyone was having a "down year" and will improve drastically...

Absolutely this.

The Spezza trade was BS but I don't see how Murray and co. couldn't find a top-4 D throughout the entire offseason. We were and still are in desperate need of a dependable defenseman back there.

But still, that Spezza return though..... :help:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Good:
Signing Lehner
Signing Legwand
Signing Mac
Bad:
Signing Phillips
Spezza Return
Not Signing Da Costa
Signing Michalek
Signing Anderson

Totally agree with this post.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Good:
Signing Lehner
Signing Legwand
Signing Mac
Bad:
Signing Phillips
Spezza Return
Not Signing Da Costa
Signing Michalek
Signing Anderson

Although Phillips wasn't really offseason, I agree with your list minus the Da Costa thing. We're deep enough at center that I don't think he ever would have made this team.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Just another Murray revolving door move. Nothing wrong with getting Legwand, but losing Spezza without at least close to equal return was typical of Murray.

Like giving up Bishop for Conacher. I could go on, but do think the Sens will make the playoffs this year, so I'll reserve the bashing.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I think the lack of return on the Spezza trade is cancelled out by the Legwand deal that was made possible by the savings on Spezza's salary.

The Phillips extension didn't happen in the off-season so it doesn't count, even though it has some repercussion in not signing an actual top 4 D during the off-season.

So this leaves us with:

Best move: MacArthur
Worst move: letting Da Costa go

Last edited:

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Although Phillips wasn't really offseason, I agree with your list minus the Da Costa thing. We're deep enough at center that I don't think he ever would have made this team.

Lazar can go back to junior for one more year, be the captain of WJC team. Trade Smith for a D-Man or winger. Or have Smith start as a LW'er. Da Costa never got a fair shake here, he was Binghamton's best player after Hoffman, and hes destroying the KHL right now. Also played great in the Worlds.

Turris
Zib
Legwand
Da Costa
Pageau

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just another Murray revolving door move. Nothing wrong with getting Legwand, but losing Spezza without at least close to equal return was typical of Murray.

Like giving up Bishop for Conacher. I could go on, but do think the Sens will make the playoffs this year, so I'll reserve the bashing.

So I guess you don't think that Chiasson, Paul or Guptil will amount to much in the future. What were you expecting back exactly? Who exactly wanted Spezza & would have given what you wanted? Do you think Spezza will get better or will his skills begin to diminish? I think he is regressing as an NHL player but we will see.

Do most here think BM should have paid SDC more to stay in Bingo? He signed Camper who is a smallish player with offensive skills, is he not as good as DaCosta? I think Camper will be fighting Pageau for the #1 centre job in Bingo.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good - getting some contracts signed. Knowing some guys are locked up means slightly less work going forward and can concentrate a lot more on Zibby, Methot and Ryan.

Bad - this feels like the longest freaking summer ever. Losing key players two years in a row, poor returns on trades, being the laughing stock of HF boards. Feeling like a horse carcass where 29 buzzards are circling around looking to nab those last few pieces of premium meat. It's a horrible feeling.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Good:
Murray trying to bring hard working culture to this team.
Adding Legwand
Low expectations
Lets see what Stone, Chiasson and Hoffman have in store
MaCarthur

Bad:
Spezza return
Not trading Wiercioch

I don't understand how resigning Anderson is bad. Its extremely good asset management by Murray. If Lehner's not ready, we always have Andy. If Lehners ready, Anderson doesn't have any NTC.. whats to hate?

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Good - signing Anderson (Lehner fanboys are upset).
Even better- getting rid of Spezza.

This.
And i dont even see a Phillips signing as bad thing.
MacArthur signing - Perfect
Michalek signing - neutral
Ryan/Methot saga - dependes on outcome. If signed, perfect. If not, disaster.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Best: Legwand signing - I have no idea how a veteran two-way center coming off a 50 point season only gets 3M per season on a short term contract, when lesser players like Pouliot, Bolland, Komarov, etc... make as much or more. I think Murray and co might have walked away with the signing off the off-season yet again.

Worst: not getting rid of the deadweight on this team - This training camp/pre-season is again confirming that Greening and Condra should not be on this hockey team. We have tremendous depth at the forward position, we don't need these guys casually occupying roster spots without making any kind of positive difference for the team. The smart GMs in this league recognize when players overstay their welcome, and they move them for picks. It's shrewd asset management and it sends a strong message - you don't play well, you don't play on this team.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Best: Legwand signing - I have no idea how a veteran two-way center coming off a 50 point season only gets 3M per season on a short term contract, when lesser players like Pouliot, Bolland, Komarov, etc... make as much or more. I think Murray and co might have walked away with the signing off the off-season yet again.

1) age bias
2) completely misused by Detroit after the trade - Babcock literally had no idea how to use him and made no effort to incorporate him into the team's system. His Red Wings stint probably cost him at least $1mil/year on the open market. Proof that Mike Babcock is fallible.
3) despite his 50+ points, he had unsustainably low secondary stats - and in the Summer of Advanced Stats, people saw things like his low PDO combined with his age and got scared off, despite the fact that his PDO is historically throughout his career almost always at least at or above average and almost guaranteed to rebound barring severe regression or injury, and despite the fact that the only reason it was so low was because of how badly Detroit dicked him around (for instance - his PDO was slightly above average before the Detroit trade)

Basically, Detroit screwed him, and combined with the fact that he's 34 means we got a discount.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
1) age bias
2) completely misused by Detroit after the trade - Babcock literally had no idea how to use him and made no effort to incorporate him into the team's system. His Red Wings stint probably cost him at least $1mil/year on the open market. Proof that Mike Babcock is fallible.
3) despite his 50+ points, he had unsustainably low secondary stats - and in the Summer of Advanced Stats, people saw things like his low PDO combined with his age and got scared off, despite the fact that his PDO is historically throughout his career almost always at least at or above average and almost guaranteed to rebound barring severe regression or injury, and despite the fact that the only reason it was so low was because of how badly Detroit dicked him around (for instance - his PDO was slightly above average before the Detroit trade)

Basically, Detroit screwed him, and combined with the fact that he's 34 means we got a discount.

Yeah, Babcock is an amazing coach, but it feels like he's been with Detroit too long. Gone a bit stale. Having the luxury of leaning on a bunch of future HoF vets is too tempting for any coach to pass up, and it has taken the edge off his coaching ability, imo.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for a nice rebound from Legwand. Can you imagine how amazing it would be to have two solid UFA vets have rebounds two years in a row? So sweet, especially considering the hot mess so many other team have created in their UFA signings.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I don't see any good for the present and future of this franchise.

They traded Spezza for a bunch of crap... prospects/picks who have a small chance of becoming average players if everything breaks right.

Otherwise, we locked up a bunch of average players... thus ensuring the long term mediocrity of this team.

We have 1 franchise player and no avenue to acquire others unless this team tanks bad this season. Not that our owner would spend money on franchise players if we were lucky enough to acquire one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad