An interesting story about NHL Fathers' Trips, and how they all started here.

BluesConvert

Wait, what?
Aug 21, 2003
Nashville
Poile found an article about how the Buffalo Sabres allowed one or two fathers to tag along on road trips, if they happened to be in town wherever the team traveled. Poile and Trotz expected to struggle during their debut season, and a 28-47-7 record ultimately proved them correct. So they wanted to try something no one had done. They wanted to make it as fun as they could. They had no idea they were starting a thing, when Poile approached Trotz and pitched his plan.

“What do you think about something about a dads’ trip?†he said.

“Absolutely,†Trotz said. “Let’s include everybody.â€

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...rs-started-the-tradition-of-the-fathers-trip/

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
I saw this on twitter. The caps beat writer is worth following if you are on twitter, he has been giving worthy reads all season.

I didn't know that the tradition started here. It made me proud.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Wow. So that's what a professional writer covering an NHL team is like. Great writer and awesome bit of history.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I don't know. I've been a fan of the team since before it even had a name, and I perhaps vaguely recall having heard this before. Perhaps. It's also possible I completely invented that memory since it felt like news to me at first. :dunno:

Cool read though

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I am an old timer.
I did know about it.

Wonder when an article will appear in the Washington Post about how Trotz held his high school's swimming record for so long? I think it was since he was in Nashville that it was finally broken. :)

I think that was in one of the slick magazines they mailed to Preds STH's.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I am an old timer.
I did know about it.

Wonder when an article will appear in the Washington Post about how Trotz held his high school's swimming record for so long? I think it was since he was in Nashville that it was finally broken. :)

I think that was in one of the slick magazines they mailed to Preds STH's.

Thank you adzy! ... Knew I was not losing my mind

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I guess I don't remember when it started. It feels like they've been doing it forever, but I always thought they copied another team who was already doing these trips. Very cool.

BluesConvert

Wait, what?
Aug 21, 2003
Nashville
Yes, that was the point. I think several of us remember it happening here, many remember the first year it happened, and i dare say 1 or 2 of us discussed it on the old Preds boards...no, not that one...or that one...or even that one...yeah, THAT one. (Adz...you're a lot of things dear, but old ain't one of em)

My interest in the article was being unaware other teams had copied this one, rather than this one having copied someone else.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Yes, that was the point. I think several of us remember it happening here, many remember the first year it happened, and i dare say 1 or 2 of us discussed it on the old Preds boards...no, not that one...or that one...or even that one...yeah, THAT one. (Adz...you're a lot of things dear, but old ain't one of em)

My interest in the article was being unaware other teams had copied this one, rather than this one having copied someone else.

You're a sweetheart, you know that? My driver's license would beg to differ but if you're as old as you feel, I'm about 15 years younger than it says. :laugh:

I remember those boards...and those...and those other ones, too. Shoot, I remember one I couldn't figure out how to post on! I think that was the ESPN one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad