NHL Entry Draft: An in-depth attempt at a 2020 first-round mock draft (WARNING: Lots of reading ahead)

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Not sure why people think Ottawa winning the lottery is a nightmare for sharks fans. Whats done is done, and we are better off having ottawa win then LA or Anahiem. Anyways I like the sharks pick here, I do think Mysak is probably more talented though, shocked he falls so far here

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Great read thanks!
Do you feel Zary has good enough skating to be average or above at nhl level? Just don’t want another Lias Andersson pick.
I would love Jarvis/Holloway for the Rangers but I guess Zary/Holloway wouldn’t be too bad :thumbu:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
And finally, picks 27 through 31 :

27) Colorado - Lukas Reichel : Colorado has some of the best young core pieces in the league in MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar, possibly Byram and Francouz, to go along strong prospects like Newhook, Timmins, Kaut, Bowers and Kovalenko. There is no serious need there, and so I think the Avalanche just continue stockpiling talent, opting this time to take Reichel, a very talented forward from Germany that could be a top-6 player. He will need to get stronger and improve his reads defensively if he wants to make it to the big leagues, but he's got all the talent, the skating, most importantly the guts, smarts and self-awareness to succeed. I think he'd become Colorado's second-best forward prospect after Newhook if they drafted him.
I love this pick. Exactly the sort of high-ceiling guy Colorado should be targeting as they can afford to be patient and wait the 3-4 years it will take for Reichel to grow into his body. He has legitimate top line potential and if he's allowed to slow-cook another 1-2 seasons in the DEL, and then 1-2 years in the AHL I think he could develop into an extremely good player. He has very high IQ, and already put up 12+12 in 42 games against men as a skinny 17 year old. Once he puts on 30lbs of muscle he's going to be a high-IQ beast, and make a lot of GM's regret passing on him in the mid- and late- 1st round.

Btw, I think it's worth pointing out that although Peterka is probably ahead of Reichel right now (and justifiably drafted higher in your list), the fact is that Peterka has already grown into his body and has little room to develop physically, whereas Reichel is still very lightweight for his size and that will probably factor into him projecting higher long-term.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I love this pick. Exactly the sort of high-ceiling guy Colorado should be targeting as they can afford to be patient and wait the 3-4 years it will take for Reichel to grow into his body. He has legitimate top line potential and if he's allowed to slow-cook another 1-2 seasons in the DEL, and then 1-2 years in the AHL I think he could develop into an extremely good player. He has very high IQ, and already put up 12+12 in 42 games against men as a skinny 17 year old. Once he puts on 30lbs of muscle he's going to be a high-IQ beast, and make a lot of GM's regret passing on him in the mid- and late- 1st round.

Btw, I think it's worth pointing out that although Peterka is probably ahead of Reichel right now (and justifiably drafted higher in your list), the fact is that Peterka has already grown into his body and has little room to develop physically, whereas Reichel is still very lightweight for his size and that will probably factor into him projecting higher long-term.

Peterka is indeed a bit more developed physically than Reichel, but he still has a ton of room to grow into. I could see him gain another 10-15 pounds of muscle, he's got a heavy frame and should play in the 200s, and he must really improve his balance to be more effective, so there is quite a bit of growth to go through right there. Reichel is much lighter than Peterka and he's got more room to grow, as you've said, but he is also naturally thinner than Peterka, and might not play at 200+ in the NHL, to put things into perspective.

The big difference between Peterka and Reichel is the skating. Reichel is a good overall skater, not great by any means, while Peterka is amongst the very best in this year's draft. Skills-wise I'd have to give it to Reichel (though Peterka's stickhandling is awesome), same with the hockey IQ, but Peterka is relentless and forechecks, backchecks, pressures the puck carrier better, goes to the dirty areas of the ice more, and is just tougher to play against all-around.

If both reach their ultimate upsides, Reichel is probably maginally better, and a top-line forward as you've said, but Peterka has a lower bust chance and bigger chance to reach his potential, hence the higher ranking.

Even if Peterka fails to reach his potential, there's a good chance he is still a third or fourth-liner for whichever team drafts him. Inversely, if he hits his full potential you're looking at a 60+ point player that plays an incredible up-tempo game and makes life miserable for opposing defenses with his speed, puck handling, deft passing and pugnacity.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Great stuff for a fan like me who likes talking draft but don't have time enough to follow prospects properly.

If we get Raymond, it would be a dream. A player with that amount of talent who will contribute on ELC at the perfect time (2021-2022).

One question : are you a fan of trying to get another 1st round pick by trading 2 x 2nds?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm very intrigued by this year's draft, especially because of this global pandemic. I really think we could end up seeing players in North America going much higher than expected due to familiarity and scouting teams not really being able to scout heavily overseas. I also expect that there's going to be a ton of "daring" picks made in that some GMs might end up reaching for players and some players that should be high picks are going to fall right off the board. This is the one year where I think the top 10 is pretty much written in stone and everything after that is completely off the board.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I'm very intrigued by this year's draft, especially because of this global pandemic. I really think we could end up seeing players in North America going much higher than expected due to familiarity and scouting teams not really being able to scout heavily overseas. I also expect that there's going to be a ton of "daring" picks made in that some GMs might end up reaching for players and some players that should be high picks are going to fall right off the board. This is the one year where I think the top 10 is pretty much written in stone and everything after that is completely off the board.

I wouldn't say the top 10 is set in stone per se. I mean 8/10 of the players there are probably sure-fire top 10 picks as you've said, but there is quite a lot of variance and diverging opinions as to who should go 9th and 10th. Askarov, Lundell, Quinn, and Sanderson could all reasonably go top 10, others could too, but there is really no consensus there.

As for the Covid pandemic affecting things and prompting teams to draft more NA players because of the lack of euro scouting, I'm not sure I necessarily agree. Fact of the matter is that the season was 80% done when confinement came, so teams will still have seen a lot of each player despite circumstances, and have the added benefit of an incredible amount of tape on any of the players in the top three rounds to re-watch and base their opinions on. The teams will draft for talent foremost, and the pandemic won't affect them too much. Things could get messy after the top 10, true, but I think it won't nearly be as much of a crap shoot as you're making it seem.

Ultimately, I think the biggest change to the scouting game that the global pandemic brings is not allowing scouts to see players play at the U-18s, leading to them not having the chance to re-evaluate some of the guys they're interested on in that context. European players' rankings may fall a tiny bit in consequence, but it shouldn't be that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad