Post-Game Talk: An immensely satisfying FU win over the refs and Tkachuk.

Worst reffing calls in general?

• Total voters

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
One of the few times I'd recommend an NHL player screw with the stick configuration that got them there. Pulju's puck control is absolutely atrocious.
Absolutely agree. I've said before I think Puljujarvi would be well advised to hire a personal skill coach like Adam Oates to help work on the technical abilities to improve his fine motor skills and mechanics. But additionally to do essentially an audit of his equipment specifically his stick.

The Catch 22 with Puljujarvi is I can see how a player struggling with confidence might hold onto the security of what they've known to be successful ... so gripping the same stick so to speak. But conversely, I think it can be freeing to try a different stick type as part of trying to address a systemic issue that's exposed in tighter apex North American competition. A shorter stick will improve his puck control and shot mechanics, imo.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
True. It could be just his typical periods of laziness and frustration but it seems more pronounced this year. Even his goal scoring and shooting seems off. That one-timer on the PP used to be automatic but he seems to miss the net a lot this year. Maybe he's just having his December early this year. Fingers crossed.

TBH, I think thats a team problem. Everyone knows thats our ONLY play. Teams have scouted it and are just waiting to get in front of Drai shot

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Stick is too long and the lie is wrong on his stick. This is most apparent in tight areas of the ice where Puljujarvi struggles with puck management whether puck control or getting torque and accuracy of his shot.

We see the player has good hand eye coordination with his neutral zone play and ability to knock pucks down for turnovers. The vision is there. Not optimal hockey sense in the o-zone but too often he doesn't get away quality shots in tight spaces or whiffs on prime feeds.
People keep saying his stick is too long, and then I see a similar big tall guy like Tage Thompson use his ultra long stick to stickhandle like he's in a phone booth, and get off some great snipes.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
People keep saying his stick is too long, and then I see a similar big tall guy like Tage Thompson use his ultra long stick to stickhandle like he's in a phone booth, and get off some great snipes.
Did you guys see the main boards post about Kakko’s stick?
Came with a fun photoshop..
Some translated articles with teammates making fun of him for cutting them down in secret and etc
The reason behind Kakko's inefficiency? His short stick

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
TBH, I think thats a team problem. Everyone knows thats our ONLY play. Teams have scouted it and are just waiting to get in front of Drai shot
And as time goes on, there will be more and more teams shutting that play down. When it works, it is spectacular, for sure, but it seems to be working less and less, and the scouting of it gets more intense and sophisticated. Yet, the PP seems to just keep banging away at it, working the puck around the perimeter until they think it's opened up. A lot of goalies are looking really good now at stopping it, anticipating it's going to come at some point. They seem stuck in a rut, and need to really try some new plays and mix it up. I'd like to see setups for a lot more blasts from the point to loosen things up down low.

Reactions: frag2 and Duke74

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
And as time goes on, there will be more and more teams shutting that play down. When it works, it is spectacular, for sure, but it seems to be working less and less, and the scouting of it gets more intense and sophisticated. Yet, the PP seems to just keep banging away at it, working the puck around the perimeter until they think it's opened up. A lot of goalies are looking really good now at stopping it, anticipating it's going to come at some point. They seem stuck in a rut, and need to really try some new plays and mix it up. I'd like to see setups for a lot more blasts from the point to loosen things up down low.
PP1 needs to add a play by Draisaitl where he does the Kucherov fake slapper pass to the guy in the high slot for a redirect chance. It makes the goalie think twice about launching himself across the net to stop the one-timer.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He's a gooder. Took some time but elite skills and toolkit have all clicked. Emerging as one of the league's best (opposite of his Canadian hockey playing Dad). The long stick is not a universal kryptonite as you point out a player who can wield it within an elite skill game.

Puljujarvi who we all watch and see more clearly struggles with play in tight offensive areas. Shot is weak, often wiffs on shots and receiving passes, poor accuracy and at times velocity on his shot. Handling the puck is also a challenge especially under pressure. Hockey IQ is a legitimate question mark. But repeating gaffs in his offensive game especially in tight quarters with the puck noted above suggest an issue with the stick length and lie is a legitimate question area that should be scrutinized as the team needs more finish from the Big Finn Bison King.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's a gooder. Took some time but elite skills and toolkit have all clicked. Emerging as one of the league's best (opposite of his Canadian hockey playing Dad). The long stick is not a universal kryptonite as you point out a player who can wield it within an elite skill game.

Puljujarvi who we all watch and see more clearly struggles with play in tight offensive areas. Shot is weak, often wiffs on shots and receiving passes, poor accuracy and at times velocity on his shot. Handling the puck is also a challenge especially under pressure. Hockey IQ is a legitimate question mark. But repeating gaffs in his offensive game especially in tight quarters with the puck noted above suggest an issue with the stick length and lie is a legitimate question area that should be scrutinized as the team needs more finish from the Big Finn Bison King.
I'm going to go with the stick theory as my own issue in my much earlier in life hockey career. Couldn't possibly be my lack of higher end motor skills and hockey IQ!:D

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Who was the lady who sang the American National Anthem at the game last night? I must say she was really good and I enjoyed it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They need more variety with Draisaitl's usage. Move the team's best shooter around the ice to get different looks like bumper. He's also getting trapped against the boards more receiving poor passes and can get caught slowing the PP speed as he dissects the opposition and Barrie can be trapped with this too. We see McDavid at times swoop in to take the puck and speed up the PP movement to force coverage issues.

Personally, I think Draisaitl is still working on full recovery from a brutal, often lingering injury type. Just as he was able to power his way mentally through the playoffs on one leg and still dominate, he's so F-ing good that he is still an elite producer that less than 100%. His shooting percentage is still great, though slightly off his normal elite precision, but we see far more missed nets on his kill shot. He's also more visibly agitated at times. Guy's a warrior but to me there are small symptoms that he's not at full 100%.

I'm going to go with the stick theory as my own issue in my much earlier in life hockey career. Couldn't possibly be my lack of higher end motor skills and hockey IQ!:D
Sorry to hear that Dave Lumley!

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
The Pronger one was against Phoenix I think? That was awesome.

EDIT: I thought that's not online, but Sportsnet had a little Pronger Oilers highlight reel and it's there, lol.

Haven't seen that since 2006 probably, lol. What a player.

Love how every bomb from the point that went in it appears that the goalies are pissed/miffed. Man I miss having that from the point. C'mon Bouchbomb, shoot like that at some point

Reactions: Oilhawks and Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Love how every bomb from the point that went in it appears that the goalies are pissed/miffed. Man I miss having that from the point. C'mon Bouchbomb, shoot like that at some point

That 06 team could wire them from the point, Pronger, Spacek, even Stoll could run point on a PP and score from the point.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Glad we are done with our nasty schedule for a bit. I don’t want any part of the Devils again. We should hopefully be able to take advantage and get back into third place depending how the Kings do.
I peaked at our schedule, and we honestly don't have another "scary" stretch until mid February (Rangers, Avalanche, Bruins X2 and Leafs X2). There's lots of winnable games over these next few months.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think the reason those goalies were so pissed is that there always seemed to be guys in front (Smyth) blocking their view, and they couldn't see a thing.

Reactions: nally

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
True. It could be just his typical periods of laziness and frustration but it seems more pronounced this year. Even his goal scoring and shooting seems off. That one-timer on the PP used to be automatic but he seems to miss the net a lot this year. Maybe he's just having his December early this year. Fingers crossed.
Drai does have a bit of history of getting frustrated when things are going well, and showing it outwardly. And usually his performance suffers too, as the frustration takes him off his game. Of course, this can easily be construed as being injured, but I think both he and McDavid have been going through a bit of a tough time lately.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They need more variety with Draisaitl's usage. Move the team's best shooter around the ice to get different looks like bumper. He's also getting trapped against the boards more receiving poor passes and can get caught slowing the PP speed as he dissects the opposition and Barrie can be trapped with this too. We see McDavid at times swoop in to take the puck and speed up the PP movement to force coverage issues.

Drai and RNH are both slowing the PP down way too much on each half wall lately. Both also have the terrible habit of forcing the puck high or stopping up too high when they feel danger leading to easy zone exits or odd man rushes.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Drai and RNH are both slowing the PP down way too much on each half wall lately. Both also have the terrible habit of forcing the puck high or stopping up too high when they feel danger leading to easy zone exits or odd man rushes.
I'd like to see Nugent Hopkins take a few more shots. He's telegraphed as a distributor which is a strength but would open up the ice more if he put a few more pucks on net. Agree that Nuge and Draisaitl are more methodical in their play style both surgical in scanning for openings and using great passing skills to thread pucks. However both have been too slow recently enabling opposing PK's to both set up and pressure puck carriers in bad areas that create turnovers.

Need to move Draisaitl around to get more shots especially in high danger areas of the ice.

Reactions: Duke74

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'd like to see Nugent Hopkins take a few more shots. He's telegraphed as a distributor which is a strength but would open up the ice more if he put a few more pucks on net. Agree that Nuge and Draisaitl are more methodical in their play style both surgical in scanning for openings and using great passing skills to thread pucks. However both have been too slow recently enabling opposing PK's to both set up and pressure puck carriers in bad areas that create turnovers.

Need to move Draisaitl around to get more shots especially in high danger areas of the ice.

Drai shooting more as well will help things too. At the moment he's either firing the one timer or nothing, but there are times when the one timer isn't there and he just defers rather than just zipping one on net. He has the ability to fire low hard shots that produce rebounds, but he almost never takes that shot.

Our PP goes to shit when it becomes exclusively about setting Drai up for the one timer, and it has been gravitating that direction a lot lately.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Drai shooting more as well will help things too. At the moment he's either firing the one timer or nothing, but there are times when the one timer isn't there and he just defers rather than just zipping one on net. He has the ability to fire low hard shots that produce rebounds, but he almost never takes that shot.

Our PP goes to shit when it becomes exclusively about setting Drai up for the one timer, and it has been gravitating that direction a lot lately.
They really miss Kane as a second higher end finisher (and volume shooter) on the PP. Draisaitl early in the season was getting pushed out past the face-off dot to release his shot. Unless you're Ovechkin, not gonna score from that distance. I do think the high ankle strain (pain) might possibly be affecting his shot mechanics with a higher number of missed nets which is unusual for Draisailt. He's also getting into trouble with the slow curl near the boards turning away from the play and looping back where he's vulnerable for turning the puck over via bad pass or checking. Looks a little bit slower with these turns.

Having Nuge shoot a bit more would help keep PK honest and not cheating on the super elites. Said before, I'd move Draisaitl around including bumper position to increase his quality shots and volume finishing opportunities. McDavid's puck possession and slashing game is the critical driver to having/maintaining an elite PP (Duh!).

Reactions: K1984 and Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad