An even smaller group for meetings tomorrow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=113455

Sources indicate Wednesday's session at an undisclosed location will only include NHL executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly, league outside counsel Bob Batterman, NHL Players' Association senior director Ted Saskin and the union's outside counsel John McCambridge.

I think that's better. Now you have Linden out of there, a player. Now they can really get to talking about nailing this down. Don't get me wrong, Linden is a good guy.. it's just that his opposition to the cap was probably too much to handle in the room when they met last week and the week before.

Crows*

I find it odd how the tiny groups continue to meet. Now even a smaller group.

But a player out of it like the above said may be good.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Smaller and smaller...how far away are we from:

"Talks today broke off between a Ted Saskin bobblehead doll and a framed, autographed black and white photograph of Bill Daly..."

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
NJD Jester said:
Smaller and smaller...how far away are we from:

"Talks today broke off between a Ted Saskin bobblehead doll and a framed, autographed black and white photograph of Bill Daly..."

ahaha

both cited 'strong philisophical differences'

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I have no links or anything to back this up with, but today on the FAN960 Calgary, Peter Mahr (Flames play by play guy) said that Gary and Bob WOULD be in on the meetings....... in the room, not just in a hotel somewhere in the city.

Maybe someone from the Calgary area can confirm that they heard this also.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
I wouldn't even set up another meeting unless the PA is willing to accept the keystone issue of cost certainty.

If they're not going to , why even show up and waste everyone's time and energy. This charade isn't fair to anyone... not the media, the players, the owners, or the fans. Make a phone call or throw out a FAX instead of flying out to who-knows-where to meet in some broom closet with more or less people that may or may not include an actual proposal.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Well the fact that it's basically Saskin and Daly face to face is a good thing. The smaller the better. The fact that the two legal counsels are also there again is a good thing, that means they might actually be hammering out a deal instead of just talking about ideas. It's good that it's in NY. Also, if that rumor is true, and Bettman and Goodenow are going to be around, than that's also very good. I am still optimistic we will have a season. It will be a bad one, but atleast this mess will be over and we can go through the summer and into next season on a clean slate.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
oh man, what is the deal with Healy? Did anything he just said on TSN make ANY sense? It seems like even Bob is getting sick of him. He says a 24% cut this year, then the players get a 25% cut every year in arbitration? IS HE FOR REAL? IT'S ARBITRATION! IF THE PLAYER DESERVES A CUT, HE'LL GET ONE, IF HE DESERVES A RAISE, HE'LL GET ONE!!!!

This ididot makes it sound like there will be a cut in the players salary every year! And the awards are for one, two or three years. No one said anything about killing long contracts......this is ONLY FOR ARBITRATION!! If a player recieves a 25% cut in arb, it would be in his BEST INTEREST to only sign a one year deal so he could play better and get a better deal next year!!!! what a shmuck.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
snakepliskin said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1981298 anothr article-says the league is dropping the 6 mill max on individual-and the luxury tax will be discussed--are the owners folding their hand?
The owners only fold if they settle without a salary cap. They have been adding thing like the 6M individual max so they would have something to give up in negotiations. Regardless of the rhetoric, if the owners get a cap, they win.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
WHARF1940 said:
oh man, what is the deal with Healy? Did anything he just said on TSN make ANY sense? It seems like even Bob is getting sick of him. He says a 24% cut this year, then the players get a 25% cut every year in arbitration? IS HE FOR REAL? IT'S ARBITRATION! IF THE PLAYER DESERVES A CUT, HE'LL GET ONE, IF HE DESERVES A RAISE, HE'LL GET ONE!!!!

This ididot makes it sound like there will be a cut in the players salary every year! And the awards are for one, two or three years. No one said anything about killing long contracts......this is ONLY FOR ARBITRATION!! If a player recieves a 25% cut in arb, it would be in his BEST INTEREST to only sign a one year deal so he could play better and get a better deal next year!!!! what a shmuck.

He was talking about QO's not arbitration. He is right, the players could take a 24% paycut this year and a 25% cut every time there contract is up. He is also right that this scenario is going to drive up the amount of arbitration cases every year.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
He was talking about QO's not arbitration. He is right, the players could take a 24% paycut this year and a 25% cut every time there contract is up. He is also right that this scenario is going to drive up the amount of arbitration cases every year.
QOs are not contracts. The RFA will still be able to work out a contract, file for arbitration, or withhold his services. The 75% QO merely halts the automatic salary esculation that worked so heavily in the players favor under the old CBA. And that, IMO, is a good thing.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
wazee said:
QOs are not contracts. The RFA will still be able to work out a contract, file for arbitration, or withhold his services. The 75% QO merely halts the automatic salary esculation that worked so heavily in the players favor under the old CBA. And that, IMO, is a good thing.

No he can't withhold services, you must be signed within 14 days of training camp starting or your are ineligible to play, guess you missed that.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
vanlady said:
No he can't withhold services, you must be signed within 14 days of training camp starting or your are ineligible to play, guess you missed that.

So? That puts pressure on both the player (to get money) and the team (to improve it roster) to meet in the middle.

If Igilna wants $7m and the Flames want to pay $6m, ask yourself

a) is Igilna really going to walk away from $6m+ he'll never see again?

b) are the Flames really going to tank the entire season over ar most $1m extra?

Fish

Feb 27, 2002
www.outsidethegarden.com
Scugs said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=113455

I think that's better. Now you have Linden out of there, a player. Now they can really get to talking about nailing this down. Don't get me wrong, Linden is a good guy.. it's just that his opposition to the cap was probably too much to handle in the room when they met last week and the week before.

Rumors that Bill Daly will meet with himself next week have been denied by Bill Daly, Chief Counsel to the NHL... :)

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
If you can point me to a source, I will gladly admit I missed that...except, of course, what you could point me to would not be the final proposal. It wouldn't even be an official document of any kind. After the NHL presents their proposal, the NHLPA will be able to negotiate details like the one you mention. That is, IF they choose to actually negotiate instead of walk away shouting 'We will never play under a salary cap'. No use getting your undies in a bunch over what is essentially rumors.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
wazee said:
If you can point me to a source, I will gladly admit I missed that...except, of course, what you could point me to would not be the final proposal. It wouldn't even be an official document of any kind. After the NHL presents their proposal, the NHLPA will be able to negotiate details like the one you mention. That is, IF they choose to actually negotiate instead of walk away shouting 'We will never play under a salary cap'. No use getting your undies in a bunch over what is essentially rumors.

Who's getting there undies in a bunch??? I personally think that hold outs are far more inflationary than arbitration. I like this idea, outside of the salary cap. Unfortunately within a cap enviroment with QO's at 75%, I think that this must go, as it is the only negotiation tool a player now has.

SENSible1*

vanlady said:
Who's getting there undies in a bunch??? I personally think that hold outs are far more inflationary than arbitration. I like this idea, outside of the salary cap. Unfortunately within a cap enviroment with QO's at 75%, I think that this must go, as it is the only negotiation tool a player now has.

So by "negotiating tool" you really meant INFLATIONARY TOOL.

Perhaps they should consider actually playing well enough to EARN a raise?

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
Do you have a source on the 'must be signed within x days of training camp'?

And as far as getting undies in a bunch, it was just a guess based on your near-hysterical posts about the impact on an as-of-yet non-existant CBA on you Canucks.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
According to one league official privy to the contents of the most recent NHL offer, Bettman is offering a six-year pact which would omit 2004-05. However, the union would have the right to unilaterally stop the CBA after four full seasons.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_n...ticle&sports=ice-hockey&team=other&league=nhl

Does that mean the CBA will not kick in until this summer?So they would play the rest of this season under the old CBA rules

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
wazee said:
Do you have a source on the 'must be signed within x days of training camp'?

And as far as getting undies in a bunch, it was just a guess based on your near-hysterical posts about the impact on an as-of-yet non-existant CBA on you Canucks.

TSN on from both Healy and Burke. As for near hysterical, sorry I am not hysterical, as a matter of fact I tend to be cool to the point of cold, it is what makes me great at my job. I am to the extreme, analytical. I have analized from a variety of sources, not just the media, and hysteria is not where I get my numbers. You seem to think that the world is rosie and there will be no drop in revenues, as a matter of fact under you predictions the NHL will have a new TV deal paying millions, no impact on merchandise sales and fans that will flock back at record levels in the US. That is the only way the cap will remain at 42 million.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
My point was that the players salary will only be reduced if it is deserved, this is still ARBITRATION, an arbitor (you know, these guys that repeatedly rule in favor of the players) makes the decision. Is the possibility of a 25% pay cut there? Absolutely. (and I say again, the player probably deserves it) Is it a given, as this moron is making it sound, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad