Post-Game Talk: An Avalanche of Goals buries the Oilers 5-1

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Nope - take any offer that you can get to blow this crap up. RNH at the deadline. Fayne gone...Ferrence gone...Purcell history...Klinkhammer gone...Yak be gone...all deadweight and no different than Gagner, Hemsky, Horcoff...

Just a start. This team needs to eliminate no less than 8 of the guys on the roster right now if they truly want to move forward. Thankfully Pete has shown he is willing to cull the herd.

There's still plenty of road left to go. After every beat down this team takes, it's the same old ********, trade everyone yesterday. I understand the frustration. And I also understand this team has a ways before really truly being able to turn a corner.

But you're never going to maximize value for guys mid season, especially when a lot of them have been injured or are having a tough time getting on track, whether it's coaching adjustments or continuity issues. You have to give these guys the opportunity to show their worth (aside from Schultz of course) and for Chiarelli to keep evaluating.

That's one of the tough facts fans have to accept, he is a brand new GM, in a new conference, trying to right the ship. It's an absolutely mammoth task ahead of him and if you want to see results and get it done right, you have to wait one more season before they can go all in for a turnaround.

Come trade deadline I wouldn't have an issue with about 4-5 players being gone. Purcell, Schultz, Nikitin, Ference (no chance), Fayne, Gazdic, Klink, Korpikoski... although those guys are far from being the problem but not contributing much either... They can go if the situation is right.

You ain't trading any core pieces mid season though.

Oct 15, 2008
There's still plenty of road left to go. After every beat down this team takes, it's the same old ********, trade everyone yesterday. I understand the frustration. And I also understand this team has a ways before really truly being able to turn a corner.

But you're never going to maximize value for guys mid season, especially when a lot of them have been injured or are having a tough time getting on track, whether it's coaching adjustments or continuity issues. You have to give these guys the opportunity to show their worth (aside from Schultz of course) and for Chiarelli to keep evaluating.

That's one of the tough facts fans have to accept, he is a brand new GM, in a new conference, trying to right the ship. It's an absolutely mammoth task ahead of him and if you want to see results and get it done right, you have to wait one more season before they can go all in for a turnaround.

Come trade deadline I wouldn't have an issue with about 4-5 players being gone. Purcell, Schultz, Nikitin, Ference (no chance), Fayne, Gazdic, Klink, Korpikoski... although those guys are far from being the problem but not contributing much either... They can go if the situation is right.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Unless of course you don't take the first step. Then you never go anywhere.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015

This is the season to evaluate for Chiarelli. The Oilers have waited for 9 years to make a turnaround.

The Oilers are going to finish in the bottom 10 again this year. They have possibly the worst defense core ever seen on an NHL team. I will agree that no team is trading for our crap however any player outside of MacD, Hall, Dre, Nurse and Klefbom should be available at this point.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This is the season to evaluate for Chiarelli. The Oilers have waited for 9 years to make a turnaround.

The Oilers are going to finish in the bottom 10 again this year. They have possibly the worst defense core ever seen on an NHL team. I will agree that no team is trading for our crap however any player outside of MacD, Hall, Dre, Nurse and Klefbom should be available at this point.

We don't even have the worst defense in the NHL right now

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
As much as I loved the 6 game wining streak the Oilers were relying too much on their goalie saving them and keeping them in the game. Even the best goalies in the leagues can't take 30, 40, 50 some shots on a consistent basis and expect to win. I remember that Scrivens was taking a ton of shots when we first got him and doing well but eventually it caught up to him and it will with anybody. When McDavid and Yakupov come back hopefully we will have 2 solid offensive lines and in the draft or the off season we can get some better defence. Our blue line/defence is still horrible and needs much work.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Unless of course you don't take the first step. Then you never go anywhere.

what do you suggest? Are you agreeing with the fellow I quoted, that the core should be shaken up mid season?

Also, lol @ the worst defence ever seen in the NHL. Can't take anything you have to say seriously.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Our defence was better than their's.

We outplayed them 5 on 5 and shut down their best line. We were outclassed on special teams and then bled goals when we got desperate in the third and took risks.

Varlamov stole that game. Nilsson was really bad

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Our defence was better than their's.

We outplayed them 5 on 5 and shut down their best line. We were outclassed on special teams and then bled goals when we got desperate in the third and took risks.

Varlamov stole that game. Nilsson was really bad

no its not

Beauchemin-Barrie-Johnson > Sekera-Nurse-Davidson

with Klefbom healthy, its a little closer but I'll take that trio over our anyday of the week

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013

Agree completely; bolded is good insight that many posters just aren't seeing. Reactionary trades at this point in a hockey season are just terrible asset management.

We all want to acquire a legit top D, but pieces are hard to shuffle at this point. In all likelihood it will have to be done in the summer when other teams actually have some cap to work with. And I haven't even mentioned time required for Chiarelli to properly assess a relatively healthy squad yet.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
no its not

Beauchemin-Barrie-Johnson > Sekera-Nurse-Davidson

with Klefbom healthy, its a little closer but I'll take that trio over our anyday of the week

on paper our's is worse, but in that game we were better on D. We had more shots and more grade A chances. It's not like they are short on offensive stars either, and we shut them down until the game fell apart late in the third

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad