Tribute An artifact from a past era, when the leafs were hated and deserved it

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Yep, and that team is a big, big reason why the Leafs nowadays are under such an extreme microscope...

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
My big takeaway to this throwback article is how the microscope on this team has always been a detriment to a tough or chippy play style.

Tucker, who played with even more of an edge earlier in his career with the Canadiens (1995--96 through '97--98) and the Tampa Bay Lightning ('97--98 through '99--2000), was not vilified until he arrived in Toronto.

Sounds like the inverse of Bunting, whose penalty differential is once again great now that he’s not on the Leafs and the refs don’t hate him anymore. f***ing power tripping thin skinned zebras.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I remember that article without clicking the link.

That iteration was a bunch of crazy. It was fun. Was never as close as the Gilmour teams, was never for real a Cup contender. Our current bunch has a better shot. But crazy fun to watch.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
All these years later and that team is STILL universally adored by fans.

Proving they don't need to win a cup to be loved. They just need to play hard. To show fans they care.

This is the most talented Leafs core in my lifetime.

It's also one of the most disliked I've ever seen. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact they all act so entitled and disinterested. Lacking the "team first" attitude necessary to contend.

Once upon a time it meant something to wear the blue leaf.

It's not the same way anymore. The team today no longer cares about the 2002 core players or everything those guys stood for. Such a shame too because even though they didn't win anything either they were at least a good example of a team going down with a fight.

The fans will always support a team like that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Proving they don't need to win a cup to be loved. They just need to play hard. To show fans they care.

It's also one of the most disliked I've ever seen. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact they all act so entitled and disinterested. Lacking the "team first" attitude necessary to contend.

It's not the same way anymore. The team today no longer cares about the 2002 core players or everything those guys stood for. Such a shame too because even though they didn't win anything either they were at least a good example of a team going down with a fight.

Sometimes when I’m watching this team I close my eyes and imagine Pat Quinn standing behind the bench.……

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
My big takeaway to this throwback article is how the microscope on this team has always been a detriment to a tough or chippy play style.

Sounds like the inverse of Bunting, whose penalty differential is once again great now that he’s not on the Leafs and the refs don’t hate him anymore. f***ing power tripping thin skinned zebras.
I think Rod had a word with Bunting about acting like an idiot. I rarely see that behavior this season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sometimes when I’m watching this team I close my eyes and imagine Pat Quinn standing behind the bench.……
Pat wouldn’t put up with half the bullshit that these players exhibit game in game out, he was as old school as Sutter and company…….

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Pat wouldn’t put up with half the bullshit that these players exhibit game in game out, he was as old school as Sutter and company…….
That’s precisely why I close my eyes and imagine him standing behind the bench.

I think Rod had a word with Bunting about acting like an idiot. I rarely see that behavior this season.
Before they offered…

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

This core is talented, sure.

It is not even close to that team at all. JT is a p***ycat Captain and Marner is a weak whiner that doesn't even play dirty. They don't do what it takes to win. Matthews and Nylander are pretty good in the PO's. Hyman would be nice to have back and a passionate C or player like Roberts would be nice too. May actually win something but not with this.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
what do you mean when the Leafs "were" hated

they have always been hated and still are

the haters make up at least half of this team's popularity and notoriety

Without the haters the Leafs wouldn't be the most valuable team in the NHL

So Leaf haters... keep on hating, we need you

Reactions: Confucius

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
what do you mean when the Leafs "were" hated

they have always been hated and still are

the haters make up at least half of this team's popularity and notoriety

Without the haters the Leafs wouldn't be the most valuable team in the NHL

So Leaf haters... keep on hating, we need you

The think the emphasis of on "deserved it". We know they're always hated.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The real reason we are hated, we take over most arenas by outnumbering the home team’s fans.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This core is talented, sure.

It is not even close to that team at all. JT is a p***ycat Captain and Marner is a weak whiner that doesn't even play dirty. They don't do what it takes to win. Matthews and Nylander are pretty good in the PO's. Hyman would be nice to have back and a passionate C or player like Roberts would be nice too. May actually win something but not with this.

History will remember this core as all skill and no will.

The entire organization needs to get their priorities straight. You'd think someone would remember they're a sports team. That the name on the front is supposed to be more important than the one on the back.

Until then I expect only more of the same wasted opportunity we've seen so much of already.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1707061294673.png

I now faintly, with each passing year remember a little bit less of the good old days, when being a Leaf fan meant you were hated as a result of the TEAMS success.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I remember that article without clicking the link.

That iteration was a bunch of crazy. It was fun. Was never as close as the Gilmour teams, was never for real a Cup contender. Our current bunch has a better shot. But crazy fun to watch.

Looking back on those pre-cap teams, you kinda wonder why they didn't open the bank vault doors the whole way... they always seemed to be missing 2 top six forwards and maybe a number one defenseman.

Reactions: the squared circle

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Looking back on those pre-cap teams, you kinda wonder why they didn't open the bank vault doors the whole way... they always seemed to be missing 2 top six forwards and maybe a number one defenseman.

2 D and 1-2 forwards.

I always look at what Jagr got traded for and thought why the hell aren't they getting someone like him?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Teachers pension were penny-pinching buggers, or so I’ve read about that era and what little I remember of the time. To be fair in 03-04 they were the 5th highest spending team. Not so surprisingly they were outspent by the Rangers and Red Wings, but more surprising they were being outspent by Dallas, St. Louis, and Philadelphia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad