Amnesty Question for Caps Fans

• Thread starter Juicy Couturier*
  • Start date

Juicy Couturier*

let me start by saying I'm not a Caps fan but I'm a huge Ovechkin fan.

My question to you guys would be, is there any scenario that you see the Caps using an amnesty buyout on Ovechkin is he has another season like last year?

This is a total hypothetical but say he scores something like 18-20 goals(31-34 goal pace) and 36-38 points(62-65 point pace). That would be two seasons in a row that are good but not Ovechkin-like. Given the fact that they would still be on the hook for another 8 years of his cap hit which is the highest in the NHL, is there any way they would think about buying him out? Would they maybe give him another season next year and if the trend continues and he fails to reach higher than 70-75 points the next 2 years maybe think about buying him out? Or is he just way too important to the franchise and it's popularity in the city to lose him regardless of his play on the ice?

The only reason I ask is because his hit is soo high and I'm sure the Caps front office saw 45-50 goals and 90+ points for the next 10 years when they signed him.

On another note, any chance they use the amnesty on Green?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
i

Even with buyouts counting as HRR, buying out top talent is pretty dumb.

Juicy Couturier*

The question was not about buying out top talent. The question I was asking was if hypothetically Ovechkin doesnt top a 70 point pace this year or next, would they potentially buy him out? At that point you would be talking about a 29 year old with 7 years left of nearly $10m on the cap who had not scored over 70 points in 3 seasons. Similar to the Lecavalier situation though Ovi is obviously the better player, Lecavalier was in the discussion of the best players in the world when he signed that contract.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The question was not about buying out top talent. The question I was asking was if hypothetically Ovechkin doesnt top a 70 point pace this year or next, would they potentially buy him out? At that point you would be talking about a 29 year old with 7 years left of nearly $10m on the cap who had not scored over 70 points in 3 seasons. Similar to the Lecavalier situation though Ovi is obviously the better player, Lecavalier was in the discussion of the best players in the world when he signed that contract.

Still don't imagine, even with that scenario, that they do that.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
No I don't see Ted buying out his contract. Ovi generates more revenue for him even if hes not to his roaring back form. I think he wants him to be there, but he also knows ovi puts butts in the seats

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
lets be honest. if ov sticks it up and the team struggles, the blame is going to fall on 8 and those kind of things lead to start players getting traded. that said, buying him out rather than trading him makes no sense at all.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
No way Leonsis sanctions paying Ovechkin roughly $6+ mil per season not to play for the Caps as opposed to $9+ mil per to play for them...

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
For him to be bought out, his value would have to be so low that he'd clear re-entry waivers (assuming that's still a thing now?). I can't possibly imagine what Ovie could do tank his value that badly, aside from some sort of career ending injury, in which case he couldn't be bought out anyway. So, yeah, not happening.

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
Maybe if he started shooting up krokodil before games. Thats the only scenario where I see him getting bought out. Even if he tanks, we could trade him for something.

Juicy Couturier*

No I don't see Ted buying out his contract. Ovi generates more revenue for him even if hes not to his roaring back form. I think he wants him to be there, but he also knows ovi puts butts in the seats

This was more of what I was getting at. I was more wondering if the name Alex Ovechkin being on the team was more important that whatever financial situation is puts the team in regarding the cap. He was a huge reason why the popularity of hockey has returned to DC and the question was more pertained to whether or not keeping him for the sake of putting butts in the seats is more important than if he is scoring 50-60 goals every year.

Let's hope he has a bounce back this season.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
lets be honest. if ov sticks it up and the team struggles, the blame is going to fall on 8 and those kind of things lead to start players getting traded. that said, buying him out rather than trading him makes no sense at all.

Not so sure.... Oates might be more in line for that position.

Can't see buying him out either... you'd expect us to get something.

But then again, what did we get for Semin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad