Speculation: Amnesty buyouts as trade currency?

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Possibly. I could see them considering Liles, Komisarek, and Grabovski as buyout candidates. Perhaps they'll wait to see how everyone performs down the stretch and in the playoffs before making any decisions.

However, assuming that we only use 1 of our 2 buyouts, is the remaining buyout enough of a carrot to get a team to give us other assets for cash/cap relief?

nope.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't think the idea is that bad, but you'd have to look at the teams that would need the help. Vancouver Philly and Tampa Bay would seem to be the teams that need the most help.

The next is what would you want from them and obviously it would be either their 1st pick upcoming or an A level prospect

We'll look at Philly the only player w/o a NTC that has a contract that may be considered as an replaceable player because of contract is Wayne Simmonds. His buyout would be approximately +7.2m

The league would also have a say in whether they approve a trade, the assets that would go to the Leafs would be Wayne Simmonds + the Philly 1ST for....what? the toronto 1st. the league would never rubber stamp that deal, so Toronto would obviously have to add to that(keep in mind that Simmonds once bought by toronto out can re-sign with Philly or wherever for a more cap convenient contract)

So basically Toronto would get to spend +7.2m for a 1ST in the top 10

while spending there own 1st and possibly their 2nd all the while spending to sign Bozak and Kadri and possibly buying out Mike Komisarek. the new owners are incredibly wealthy but they also have shareholders they answer to. It would be hard to justify to those shareholders a capital expenditure of over 10m not to mention Burkes pay-out, especially the ones who don't care about hockey let alone the Leafs.

I don't see it happening personally but stranger things have occured

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
As a side note: MLSE is owned by Bell/Rogers not the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan. The Leafs success is considerably more important to Bell and Rogers than it ever was for the Teacher's due to the fact that both Bell and Rogers have their TV businesses. A successful Leafs team means more viewers will watch a Leafs game on Sportsnet (Rogers) and TSN (Bell), which in turn means more revenue for both.

So to think that the new MLSE would not consider using an amnesty buyout as a trading asset is ludicrous.

Now if I was Nonis, I would be more worried about the other team potentially resigning that player to a more reasonable, cap-friendly deal at our expense. If I do this I would definitely not make a deal with a team within the same conference (don't want to help Philly or Tampa resign Simmonds or Lecavalier to a cap-friendly contract).

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I don't think the idea is that bad, but you'd have to look at the teams that would need the help. Vancouver Philly and Tampa Bay would seem to be the teams that need the most help.

The next is what would you want from them and obviously it would be either their 1st pick upcoming or an A level prospect

We'll look at Philly the only player w/o a NTC that has a contract that may be considered as an replaceable player because of contract is Wayne Simmonds. His buyout would be approximately +7.2m

The league would also have a say in whether they approve a trade, the assets that would go to the Leafs would be Wayne Simmonds + the Philly 1ST for....what? the toronto 1st. the league would never rubber stamp that deal, so Toronto would obviously have to add to that(keep in mind that Simmonds once bought by toronto out can re-sign with Philly or wherever for a more cap convenient contract)

So basically Toronto would get to spend +7.2m for a 1ST in the top 10

while spending there own 1st and possibly their 2nd all the while spending to sign Bozak and Kadri and possibly buying out Mike Komisarek. the new owners are incredibly wealthy but they also have shareholders they answer to. It would be hard to justify to those shareholders a capital expenditure of over 10m not to mention Burkes pay-out, especially the ones who don't care about hockey let alone the Leafs.

I don't see it happening personally but stranger things have occured

Vancouver is in good shape financially and would just do their own buyout.

The Tampa owner Vinik has very deep pockets but his finance business has been suffering so maybe.

My thinking is teams like the Islanders, Panthers, Preds, Coyotes that are most concerned about actual dollars instead of cap dollars are more likely targets.

We might not gain a top 1st rounder but I see no reason why we couldn't gain a decent prospect or pick in the 2-3 round for absorbing 2 to 5 million in bad real dollars (like the Lombardi deal).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We might not gain a top 1st rounder but I see no reason why we couldn't gain a decent prospect or pick in the 2-3 round for absorbing 2 to 5 million in bad real dollars (like the Lombardi deal).

The problem would be convincing MLSE to throw away $2-5 million dollars on a gamble that a draft pick (not yet made) will make your NHL team better now or in the future, and worth spending that kind of money on.

Its like buying a $5 mil lottery ticket with an unknown return, and potentially nothing if that player drafted busts and\or never becomes an NHLer.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
We're buying out Komisarek for sure so that leaves us with 1 buyout remaining. Liles could be a target so too could Grabovski. If we're keeping both then sure I hope we can do a trade where we get a player and another asset and buyout the player. We'd be buying a pick or prospect from another team. But most teams will buyout their own players so I doubt it happens.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The problem would be convincing MLSE to throw away $2-5 million dollars on a gamble that a draft pick (not yet made) will make your NHL team better now or in the future, and worth spending that kind of money on.

Its like buying a $5 mil lottery ticket with an unknown return, and potentially nothing if that player drafted busts and\or never becomes an NHLer.

A 2nd round pick is it's own form of currency.

Does not have to be used to draft a player, it could be used in a package.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Mess there is a reason why it's against league rules to just trade cash for players and the likes, teams like ours would take advantage of it.

We have a short window to skirt the rules and flex the financial might, WE THE FANS afford these owners.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The team get 2 total amnesty buyouts to be used this summer or next.

Komisarek looks like he'll be 1 of those 2 buyouts.

So I'm betting Nonis saves the other one for next summer to retain lots of roster movement options but I could see him getting something between a 2nd to 4th rounder for helping a team out by taking on a bad contract much like how Lombardi netted us Franson or Kolzig netted us a 4th.

we lost that 4th

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
We could definitely trade Liles and Grabovski, who are both good players but seem to be being pushed out of our organization from young depth and cap reasons.... Komisarek will be bought out, that leaves us one buy out, we could possibly use it for a Cody Franson type trade.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
we lost that 4th

Yes but for an unrelated reason

* The Carolina Hurricanes' fourth-round pick, owned by the Toronto Maple Leafs, will be forfeited as punishment for the violation of Jonas Frogren's contract, under the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement.[55]
Toronto previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on March 4, 2009 that sent Richard Petiot to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for Olaf Kolzig, Andy Rogers, Jamie Heward, and this pick.[56]
Tampa Bay previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on February 7, 2009 that sent Jussi Jokinen to Carolina in exchange for Wade Brookbank, Josef Melichar, and this pick

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
I think that we can all agree that an extra amnesty buyout does have some leverage in a trade. We can also agree that Toronto might use that leverage. However, the problem is whether or not MLSE will give the green light to spend the money. Yes, they can afford it, but at the end of the day it is a business decision as to whether or not the return justifies the expense. Sure, if we're getting an A prospect or a first round pick then MLSE might give the green light. However, it is unlikely that the return would be so great to justify the expense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad