Confirmed with Link: Amerks sign UMich F Alex Kile

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Anyone seen him play?
Many times, including a few days ago in Detroit. His name even came up in a side conversation.

Really good kid, very good skater, sneaky skills, solid 2-way play. He isn't a real big dude, but he'll mix it a up a bit, but based on what I remember from last season he had kind of a down year this year. Maybe Michigan fans would disagree with that, and I'll defer to their insider scoop, but many of us thought he'd really blossom into a real offensive weapon. He has the skills for it, but he fell a little short of expectations IMO. I don't know if he was injured or something else was going on. He was one of their Captains, so maybe that took its toll, but there's definitely some offensive skill there to hopefully blossom in Rochester.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Since it is only an AHL contract, can he still sign with any NHL team? Or is he off limits until the contract is up.

The Rochester Americans announced today that the team has agreed to terms with forward Alex Kile on an American Hockey League contract for the 2017-18 season. Kile will join the Amerks for the remainder of this season on an Amateur Tryout (ATO).

Edit due to lack of reading comprehension

Last edited:

scooch151

Dec 4, 2006
Many times, including a few days ago in Detroit. His name even came up in a side conversation.

Really good kid, very good skater, sneaky skills, solid 2-way play. He isn't a real big dude, but he'll mix it a up a bit, but based on what I remember from last season he had kind of a down year this year. Maybe Michigan fans would disagree with that, and I'll defer to their insider scoop, but many of us thought he'd really blossom into a real offensive weapon. He has the skills for it, but he fell a little short of expectations IMO. I don't know if he was injured or something else was going on. He was one of their Captains, so maybe that took its toll, but there's definitely some offensive skill there to hopefully blossom in Rochester.

Pretty spot on there. I'd throw out there that this year being a down year was basically indicative of the team as a whole being waaaay down this year, as they lost Connor, Compher, Motte, and Werenski from last year, which meant that the elite first line that took all of the opponents top D minutes was gone. So he's not going to carry a team, but he's a good guy to have, especially if you have some upper-level offense to take the pressure off of him.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

University of Michigan senior forward Alex Kile has signed an American Hockey League amateur tryout contract with the Rochester Americans, the AHL affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres.
"I'm obviously very happy and looking forward to this opportunity," Kile said. "I'm extremely grateful, and this is something I've wanted for a long time."

A native of Troy, Michigan, Kile leaves Michigan with 80 points (40 goals, 40 assists) in 130 games.
During the 2015-2016 season, Kile notched career highs in goals (16), assists (18) and points (34) and helped Michigan capture its first Big Ten Tournament championship.
This season, Kile was named a co-captain alongside classmate Nolan De Jong and was tabbed to the Big Ten preseason watch list.
Kile wrapped up his senior year with 7 goals and 7 assists for 14 points in 28 games.

"Playing at Michigan has meant everything to me," said Kile. "I've been emotionally invested the past four years, and it's tough to leave, but I'm excited for this new chapter.
Playing here been the best four years of my life. "I wouldn't trade it for anything."

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/032017aaa.html

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Since it is only an AHL contract, can he still sign with any NHL team? Or is he off limits until the contract is up.

It's a contract. He can be released from it, and would have to be to be signed by any NHL club, including Buffalo. But I don't believe that players on AHL contracts can just be poached by NHL clubs.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Looks like he will be a UFA after the season unless he opts to sign a deal with the Sabres or Amerks that extends beyond the season.
the tweet says 17/18 season. so maybe 1 year contract for next year, and a ATO the remainder of this season?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Haven't seen much of them this year, but last year he was a hell of an anchor on that second line. High motor, good all-around two-way player.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
the tweet says 17/18 season. so maybe 1 year contract for next year, and a ATO the remainder of this season?

This is correct.

The Rochester Americans announced today that the team has agreed to terms with forward Alex Kile on an American Hockey League contract for the 2017-2018 season.
Kile will join the Amerks for the remainder of this season on an Amateur Tryout (ATO).

http://www.amerks.com/article/AMERKS SIGN ALEX KILE TO AHL CONTRACT FOR 2017-18 SEASON

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
So it would seem that Murray will continue to look to the NCAA and other places in order to try and develop quality depth on D.

Does this guy have a shot ever as an NHL regular?

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
So it would seem that Murray will continue to look to the NCAA and other places in order to try and develop quality depth on D.

Does this guy have a shot ever as an NHL regular?
He's a winger.

To answer your question, IMO right now I don't see him as more than a future call-up option, but you never know. He just needs to tap his obvious skill. Hopefully he can do it.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
He's a winger.

To answer your question, IMO right now I don't see him as more than a future call-up option, but you never know. He just needs to tap his obvious skill. Hopefully he can do it.

He's not a callup option (at least not yet)--he's only signed to an AHL contract, not an NHL deal. It's the same as guys like Muse and Lane.

If the Sabres sign him to an NHL deal (think few years ago when they did this with Joe Finley), then they can call him up.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
He's not a callup option (at least not yet)--he's only signed to an AHL contract, not an NHL deal. It's the same as guys like Muse and Lane.

If the Sabres sign him to an NHL deal (think few years ago when they did this with Joe Finley), then they can call him up.
I know. Hence my use of the word "future" in giving a best case scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad