American Prospect Update Thread

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Very slim chance the 05 makes the ntdp, but with Marty as your dad anything is possible.
Yeah idk anything about Lucas, but NTDP/ USA Hockey does have a history of opting to select the bloodlines/ families in situations where they maybe wouldn't be with a different last name. But I did see Marty's house in CT was just put on the market so maybe they are pulling a Hughes family and relocating to Michigan. Thats a complete random guess though, and Marty is the 05's coach for Mid Fairfield.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The NTDP U18's are probably thrilled with the Colby Saganiuk for Andre Gasseau swap thus far. Saganiuk is tiny and was a non-factor as a U17. Gasseau is 6'4 and 202 and has 9 points in his first 7 games this season.

I wasn't a fan of adding a 13th forward, and I'm still not, but Gasseau has made the most of his opportunity thus far.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
The NTDP U18's are probably thrilled with the Colby Saganiuk for Andre Gasseau swap thus far. Saganiuk is tiny and was a non-factor as a U17. Gasseau is 6'4 and 202 and has 9 points in his first 7 games this season.

I wasn't a fan of adding a 13th forward, and I'm still not, but Gasseau has made the most of his opportunity thus far.
He's been playing well on a line with Duke and Pastujov. Fitting right in. Good thing, too, they've only been dressing 11 forwards and eight D the last few games.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I've seen the U17s a couple of times so far. A few thoughts:
  • The group definitely looks capable of living up to the hype. It's deserved thus far.
  • Chesley and Casey look like special defensive prospects. Hutson and Duke seemed to be the go-to-guys at the YOG, but Chesley and Casey are better players and prospects right now. Chesley reminds me of a more advanced McAvoy at the same age.
  • McGroarty's skating looks improved to me, which is a deadly improvement given his size and shot.
  • Gauthier is intriguing. I'll be interested to see how he progresses as the competition gets bigger and faster as those are his top attributes.
  • Fleming's natural ability is elite, but he hasn't learned how to assert himself and take over a game yet. Eichel had the same thing at the same age.
  • Nazar still might be my favorite forward prospect on the team. I won't be surprised if he ends up leading the team in scoring.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I've seen the U17s a couple of times so far. A few thoughts:
  • The group definitely looks capable of living up to the hype. It's deserved thus far.
  • Chesley and Casey look like special defensive prospects. Hutson and Duke seemed to be the go-to-guys at the YOG, but Chesley and Casey are better players and prospects right now. Chesley reminds me of a more advanced McAvoy at the same age.
  • McGroarty's skating looks improved to me, which is a deadly improvement given his size and shot.
  • Gauthier is intriguing. I'll be interested to see how he progresses as the competition gets bigger and faster as those are his top attributes.
  • Fleming's natural ability is elite, but he hasn't learned how to assert himself and take over a game yet. Eichel had the same thing at the same age.
  • Nazar still might be my favorite forward prospect on the team. I won't be surprised if he ends up leading the team in scoring.
Good analysis thus far.

- Agree that Chesley and Casey look to be a bit ahead of the pack right now. I feel Chesley may force the offense at times leaving his partner extremely exposed. He will need to pick his spots. I'd say the same thing about Casey - but that is his game and he will need to put up points in order to stay top pick as his d-zone coverage is very suspect.
- The 6 D that were on the ice this weekend all showed great skill and brought something different to the table. I think they are all high-end prospects right now. Going to be hard to put the puck in the net with them on the ice if they play like they did this past weekend.
- Forwards. I think you are spot on. It hasn't clicked for some of them yet - but it won't be long and will be fun to watch.
- Looking forward to seeing what they will do once USHL season starts... bigger, faster, better competition than what they have faced so far.

It's a special group.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
  • ting looks improved to me, which is a deadly improvement given his size and shot.

Good analysis thus far.

- Agree that Chesley and Casey look to be a bit ahead of the pack right now. I feel Chesley may force the offense at times leaving his partner extremely exposed. He will need to pick his spots. I'd say the same thing about Casey - but that is his game and he will need to put up points in order to stay top pick as his d-zone coverage is very suspect.
- The 6 D that were on the ice this weekend all showed great skill and brought something different to the table. I think they are all high-end prospects right now. Going to be hard to put the puck in the net with them on the ice if they play like they did this past weekend.
- Forwards. I think you are spot on. It hasn't clicked for some of them yet - but it won't be long and will be fun to watch.
- Looking forward to seeing what they will do once USHL season starts... bigger, faster, better competition than what they have faced so far.

It's a special group.

Any thoughts on Snuggerud?

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Any thoughts on Snuggerud?

Still limited viewings for me overall, but I've been more impressed with his skill in my NTDP viewings than I was at the YOG. Seems to generate his offense with a consistent net drive mentality and some meat and potatoes to his game, but he's not devoid of skill either. I don't think he's as talented as his current point totals, though. I'd probably rate him similar to guys like John Hayden, Judd Caulfied, etc. in my limited viewings (as players, not stylistically and he doesn't have their size), but there's a good chance I'm wrong too!

Reactions: Jaykay

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010

Didn't take long, Gasseau just committed to BC. Good to see him make the most of his opportunity

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Frank Nazar continues climbing the NTDP U17 scoring list. Had 2 goals last night and has another 2 so far today. He's my favorite '04 forward prospect with the upside to go very, very high in the draft.

He's an elite skater with elite skill, he hustles all over the ice, and he's willing to mix it up physically, too. He's been playing center since Fleming went out with an injury and I really hope they leave him there the rest of the season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Frank Nazar continues climbing the NTDP U17 scoring list. Had 2 goals last night and has another 2 so far today. He's my favorite '04 forward prospect with the upside to go very, very high in the draft.

He's an elite skater with elite skill, he hustles all over the ice, and he's willing to mix it up physically, too. He's been playing center since Fleming went out with an injury and I really hope they leave him there the rest of the season.

What do you think about McGroarty being used at wing so far this season?

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019

I have to agree with Nazar. He has really found his groove and has been best, most consistent on the ice as a forward.

After multiple viewings, my favorites so far:

Forwards:
- Nazar
- Howard
- Cooley/Snuggerud

Defense
-Chesley
-Hutson
-Leddy

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
By researching Cole Eiserman, I found two players born in 2006 who stand out in points : Christian Humphreys (F) and Drake Murray (D)

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Not sure if this is the right place for it but considering he’s an American - Jared Crespo with Green Bay. I’ve been high on him since last year with Salisbury and was shocked he didn’t get drafted. Just saw him live in Youngstown and a few games on video. He can score when he jumps into the quiet areas, breaks the puck out well, and is hard on guys. I think he’s a solid candidate for the WJC depth role next year.

Reactions: Garyboy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've been watching a bunch of games of the 18's, and I'm going to restate what I said earlier in the season that I don't like the coaching for this team. I think it's really poor, and if the WJC18 is played this year, they'll be at a big coaching disadvantage.

There are a few things I wanted to point to that I don't like.

Tactically, I don't think the coach is good. I'll give an example. He had a defensemen in the box for around another 10 seconds when a player took a penalty to make it a 5 on 3. Instead of using two forwards and one defensemen for the ensuing face-off, he uses two defensemen and one forward. The defensemen who took the first penalty comes out of the box, and he has no clue where to be trying to kill the penalty as the second forward. It led to a long possession in the zone on the PP for the opposing team, and hurt the team's ability to clear the puck.

His player deployment also makes absolutely no sense to me. I know these coaches are tasked with developing all players, but I can't remember a team where the waters were so muddied by the coaching decisions of who was actually good at what part of the game. Players such as St. Louis, Brown, Devine play the most or close to it among the forwards, even though they are the worst forwards. These guys also tend to play with skill players and their lines often are the first line out there or close to it. He gives Janicke so little ice time, even though he does a lot with his ice time. He'll use about 8-9 forwards on the PP with any regularity (Hughes, Devine, Gasseau, Duke, Pastujov, Boucher, Wilmer, St. Louis, Brown), but Janicke whose better offensively than at least half of these players doesn't play the PP. I'd also argue Savage is a better offensive player than a number of those players.

He refuses to use Ty Gallagher on the PP, a defensemen with a great shot and the best offensive skills of all the RH defensemen. Instead, he uses Schmidt, if he wants a right shot, even though Schmidt is not much of an offensive player. With the forwards, his PP/PK decisions almost seem like he pick the best PK'ers first, and then lets the guys who aren't among the regular PK'ers on the PP as his way of giving out equal roles. And usually the few guys who get to play both end up being the worst forwards on the team. It makes no sense to me. The guys who are actually the best offensively and defensively only play PP or PK.

And he's created uneven RH/LH pairs for the defense by using this Behrens-Hughes pairing. I don't even think Hughes is good on his off-side, so it makes no sense. Those are probably his two best defensemen, so thats likely the reason, but I don't think they pair that well together. And then it leaves an uneven 4th pair using two right shots.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Glad to see the 01 class finally get the job done. We've been discussing how good this 01 class is for years, and they finally won the big one, after coming up short last year and at their U18s. Feel bad Hughes can't be apart since he was the poster child of this American class. Nice to get this one after being the "favorites" last year and disappointing.

The returning players outside of Beniers and Sanderson wont be anything special (also Slaggert, Berard, Kleven, Faber). Will have to lean on the the rest of the 02 class which isn't our most talented. Will get Bordeleau back, Coronato, Samoskevich, Tuch, Smilanic, Peterson etc. Not that many sure-fire stars in the 02 class. Hopefully we can lean on the 03 class. But i think the following WJC where we can combine the 03/04 class could be really special, those two age groups especially the 04s should be well above average.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Glad to see the 01 class finally get the job done. We've been discussing how good this 01 class is for years, and they finally won the big one, after coming up short last year and at their U18s. Feel bad Hughes can't be apart since he was the poster child of this American class. Nice to get this one after being the "favorites" last year and disappointing.

The returning players outside of Beniers and Sanderson wont be anything special (also Slaggert, Berard, Kleven, Faber). Will have to lean on the the rest of the 02 class which isn't our most talented. Will get Bordeleau back, Coronato, Samoskevich, Tuch, Smilanic, Peterson etc. Not that many sure-fire stars in the 02 class. Hopefully we can lean on the 03 class. But i think the following WJC where we can combine the 03/04 class could be really special, those two age groups especially the 04s should be well above average.

It seems like the USA WJC rosters are heavily dependent on the NTDP, with a couple exceptions every year (like Brink, Kaliyev, etc.). Are there m/any big name CHL guys who can grab a role on next year's squad?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
It seems like the USA WJC rosters are heavily dependent on the NTDP, with a couple exceptions every year (like Brink, Kaliyev, etc.). Are there m/any big name CHL guys who can grab a role on next year's squad?
I think that's by design. The NTDP was set up to develop players for the U.S. national teams -- starting with the junior team and leading up to the senior team.

Reactions: Rabid Ranger

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3