American Prospect Update Thread

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I think I said 7 first rounders for this draft last month...but my 7 were a bit diff - Beniers, Hughes, Coronato, Lucious, Samoskevich, Morrow and Pastujov I believe....Amazing how higher Boucher went, I didn't think he would go before 25 with his injury filled year...love to see it though. Pastujov to the third round was baffling, great pick by the Ducks there. And damn, did the Canes get 2 young studs at d with Morrow and Aiden Hreschuk.

Also agree on Gallagher, that was shocking of his usage and his drop. Kid will be one of those WTF picks as to how he went as low as he did...

Thoughts on next year??? I was happy with this draft, we need another strong one and starting putting them together in a row....I think next years class can outdo this one, just not seeing 2 in the top 5 though for the US...

Just fine where Gallagher dropped. :D

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Watched the U17 select team playing in the tournament over in Switzerland.

I thought this team looked very good. The results show that they destroyed the competition. I think that if all these guys can't make the NTDP then its a very strong age group for us.

I think the top players are Shaubagay, Whitelaw, Terrance, Nelson, Strathmann, Mania, and McCarthy. I wouldn't complain with including Briere, Yurchuk or Kiesewetter either. I would probably put Shaubagay in his own tier because he's the most talented of these players, but I could see why someone might put Terrance or Mania in the same tier.

Shaubagay looks like a clear first round type of talent. Similar type of player to someone like Samoskevich. I know there was some discussion if he was left off the NTDP or didn't accept the invitation. I have a really hard time believing there are 13 better forwards than this guy. Whitelaw reminded me a little of Caufield. Terrance is a little like Jack Hughes (the 2022 draft eligible one). He was a player that wasn't at the NTDP selection camp. He may have declined an invite because he was a first round OHL pick. I have a hard time believing a first round OHL pick is completely snubbed from the selection camp roster. Nelson reminds me of Chris Kreider.

Didn't have any obvious comparables for the defenseman that I was able to think of. Strathmann is a two way defenseman. Really good skater, pushes the pace. Defends well. Some puck ability, but probably not a PP1 guy. Mania is a two way defenseman. More offensive than defensive. Probably the most potential of the defensemen because he's not bad in any area of the game, and is a pretty skilled player that puts up points. McCarthy has excellent ability to move the puck and good size, but he's error-prone. Early to say, but I think he probably has more upside than his brother.

I don't think either of these guys were among the better players, but I'll mention them because they've been talked about in this thread in recent months. Lucas St. Louis isn't bad. I think he's a slightly better prospect than his brother. St. Louis is a very competitive defenseman. Pretty good defensively and skates well. Not much offense in his game and he's 5'10 without elite skating. Hard to see a guy like that being a high pick, but my initial assessment would be that he's more likely to be picked than Ryan was. I know Tanner Adams has been discussed as one of the better players, but I don't see the hype right now. He was mostly anonymous. I don't see many NHL tools.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Anybody have anything to say about 2023 prospect Chris O'Flaherty?, - he is from Chicago Illinois.

6 foot 2 / 190+ pounds, forward. Stats would suggest that he is a sniper.
- 73rd overall pick, a huge steal it seems

He will play for the Windsor Spitfires this season. (their 1st preseason game is 17th this month)

Led the entire AAA in goals (44 in 46) and finished 2nd in ppg (1.52) - last season

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Something about LJ Mooney? The boy has a surreal talent. How is he this season? He needs to grow up, but he's only 14 years old.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Something about LJ Mooney? The boy has a surreal talent. How is he this season? He needs to grow up, but he's only 14 years old.
He had a good showing at the USHL Fall Classic and was ranked No. 1 player there in 14U category, leading his team to the championship.

A scouting blog also mentioned that he did double duty and played up with the 15U team.

He also stood out and drew rave reviews at the CCM 68 event in August.

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
He had a good showing at the USHL Fall Classic and was ranked No. 1 player there in 14U category, leading his team to the championship.

A scouting blog also mentioned that he did double duty and played up with the 15U team.

He also stood out and drew rave reviews at the CCM 68 event in August.

Just curious how he's playing up into a 15Only? Is there some sort of exemption?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Just curious how he's playing up into a 15Only? Is there some sort of exemption?
He is born in 2007, so his 14U team is his age group. Playing up one age group is not uncommon, but I don't what process he or his team had to go through to get permission to play up an age group at this tournament. Sorry.
Here's a snapshot from someone who watched him play there.

Attachments

• Mooney.JPG
    Mooney.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 13

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
06 is looking like a good class a year out from the NTDP. Eiserman and Park at Shattuck. Hagens, Humphreys and Zocco looking like top guys from the East.

Eiserman, and Celibrini (Canadian) for that matter, are looking special leading the Prep team as 15 year olds playing against 18 year olds. And outscoring Whitelaw who is a highly regarded 05.

upload_2021-10-15_17-51-54.png

Also at the 16U level I did not expect Park to be outproducing Berkley Catton at the rate he is.

upload_2021-10-15_17-55-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-10-15_17-54-48.png
    upload_2021-10-15_17-54-48.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 6

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s only October and we have five injuries already. Three of the six best players aren’t available. This is happening every season. Why is that? It doesn’t seem like a normal amount of injuries to be having every season.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

razor ray

May 8, 2011
For the college hockey fans….ASU’s new $110 mill ice arena is on track to open in 2022:

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
It’s only October and we have five injuries already. Three of the six best players aren’t available. This is happening every season. Why is that? It doesn’t seem like a normal amount of injuries to be having every season.

Injuries happen to every team... Especially playing college games - these kids are 17.
It's a deep group. They will be just fine. Like they took care of Chicago Saturday.
D corps is really strong. Not like Chesley has been lighting up since the season started.
Great to see some of the forwards taking charge - not the usual suspects (who also have not been taking over like they should)
Missing some valuable tools to put the puck in the net upfront.
They will figure it out.

Stramel - been out since before the season started - coming back January
Lucious - broken wrist - return TBD
Mcgroarty - hand injury - will be back soon
Berard - will be available this week (out only a few games)
Chesley - suspended one game for a hit to head - back this week

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
The Kingston Frontenacs are weak defensively have just traded one of their veteran dmen for just a draft pick which weakens them further. Now over on the Fronts board they are hoping it might mean Lane Huston might be signing. There is no concrete proof of that just speculation. The other option is that maybe they have a trade in works for another dman. Does anyone here think Huston may be in play or is the trade option probably correct.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Kingston Frontenacs are weak defensively have just traded one of their veteran dmen for just a draft pick which weakens them further. Now over on the Fronts board they are hoping it might mean Lane Huston might be signing. There is no concrete proof of that just speculation. The other option is that maybe they have a trade in works for another dman. Does anyone here think Huston may be in play or is the trade option probably correct.

It would make no sense for him to do so now. He’s playing top pairing minutes. Maybe next season if he had some specific reason to forgo college hockey. That still seems unlikely.

Reactions: zaluty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad