American Prospect Update Thread

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Interesting trend this year with size - especially defense. Trending bigger. Or were there not many smaller Hughes types available?

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Sean Farrell and Ryder Rolston was drafted today. Danny Weight and Cameron Rowe are now only players from 2001 NTDP class who are not drafted. Last year only those four guys was not drafted from NTDP but this year there is still nine guys available when last round is still running.

Edit: Actually Ryder Rolston was not eligible last year.

Last edited:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Small comparison from 2019 and 2020 between US and Canada

1RD:
Canada 13
USA 9

Overall
Canada 69
USA 57

1RD
Canada 19
USA 2

Overall
Canada 72
USA 52

Reactions: razor ray

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Quite a few prep players taken even though from what I heard it was a down year for that crop outside of Moore and Biondi. Anyone have theories why, or notes on some of the under the radar guys?

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Quite a few prep players taken even though from what I heard it was a down year for that crop outside of Moore and Biondi. Anyone have theories why, or notes on some of the under the radar guys?

The surprises for MN HS guys were Hallum and Boltmann going in the 3rd. I was expecting both to go 6-7th round or go undrafted. Boltmann is just a really good athlete who projects as a shut down guy I guess, and Hallum is a fantastic skater but I don't like much else about his game.

Wyatt Kaiser was my favorite MN HS guy in this class, and I thought some team might take him in the 2nd. He just processes everything very quickly and IMO has the best potential. Biondi was looking like he'd go earlier but I think 4th round is actually about right for him. I've thought he's a tad overrated for the past few years.

Reactions: canucklax

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
How good is the U-17 team? How good is the top end talent, and who is that? I've heard of Nazar and Lucious and McGroaty - how do they stack up? The wild card - Cole Spicer? His numbers a year ago are sick, what's his projection - his ceiling? Is there anyone not mentioned who's going to be best of the lot? Thanks in advance for any info, love hearing about the future of USA hockey!

Reactions: Garyboy

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
How good is the U-17 team? How good is the top end talent, and who is that? I've heard of Nazar and Lucious and McGroaty - how do they stack up? The wild card - Cole Spicer? His numbers a year ago are sick, what's his projection - his ceiling? Is there anyone not mentioned who's going to be best of the lot? Thanks in advance for any info, love hearing about the future of USA hockey!

Nazar is dynamite. Has a great engine, thinks the game at an extremely high level, and has great hands, along with a knack for scoring big goals. Also has no issue laying guys out with a well-timed hit. Excited to see how he does this upcoming season.

Reactions: BeersHockey

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Some news from the USA World Junior team try-out camp currently going on -

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
USNTDP U17 beats SOO Eagles 12-2

Cutter Gauthier 2+3
Rutger McGroarty 0+5
Maddox Fleming 1+3
Isaac Howard 2+1
Ryan Chesley 1+2
Brady Berard 2+0
Seamus Casey 1+1
Cruz Lucius 0+2
Marek Hejduk 0+2
Seamus Powell
Tyler Duke

Another game has played, but no info of that game yet

Last edited:

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Okay...the other game ended 10-0, for the USNTDP U17
2 goals for McGroarty
1 goal for :
Howard
Hejduk
Nazar
Lucius
Spicer
Snuggerud
Cooley
Kaplan

The U17s did quite well. However let's not forget that SOO is not that strong, has only had 2 practices, and only been together for less than a week before they played. Will be more excited if they can perform like this against real competition. However, I don't think that will happen unless they play with a bit more discipline than what was on display. Just a really good team beating up on a much weaker team. But love that they are playing games and figuring out chemistry.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U17s did quite well. However let's not forget that SOO is not that strong, has only had 2 practices, and only been together for less than a week before they played. Will be more excited if they can perform like this against real competition. However, I don't think that will happen unless they play with a bit more discipline than what was on display. Just a really good team beating up on a much weaker team. But love that they are playing games and figuring out chemistry.

Looking forward to how they do against Green Bay in the USHL next weekend. Green Bay has some good players on that roster.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Something to watch for.

The new U18 coach was using all the grinders on the PP yesterday, and left some of his better offensive players off of it. The PP was predictably not very good.

I'm also pretty sure he was playing the grinders the most minutes. I think we're good this year in this age group, but not so good that we can overcome a bad coach. I'm not saying thats the case yet, but we can't be prioritizing showcasing RSL, Brown, Devine, Savage, Gasseau to be picked in the mid-late rounds at the expense of our best prospects this year.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Does anyone know something about Lucas St. Louis? More or less talented than Ryan?

Also was there someone leaving NTDP because Andre Gasseau was added for this season?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was surprised at Boltmann being taken so early, too. Apparently a freak athlete though, just like his brother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad