American Eligibility in the CJHL

ECS Scout

Jul 28, 2010
East Coast
Correct

I believe it is 18 unless the have canadian citizenship or a guardian living in Canada. Someone correct me if I am wrong

Also, USA players are now considered "Imports" in the CJHL for their entire career. And starting last season, they reduced the maximum number of Import players to seven (7) and next season it will drop to six (6).

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Also, USA players are now considered "Imports" in the CJHL for their entire career. And starting last season, they reduced the maximum number of Import players to seven (7) and next season it will drop to six (6).

Also, unlike the CHL, imports in the CJHL are players that are outside the province the team is in correct? I am a Lloydminster Bobcats fan and I am curious for them, do they have both Alberta and Saskatchewan to recruit from away from the import rule and same idea with Flin Flon?

ECS Scout

Jul 28, 2010
East Coast
Canadian citizens are no longer considered "Imports"

in JR A and can play in any Province without being designated as an Import. US born players are now considered Imports for as long as they play in the CJHL...

From HC Handbook:

30.1. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in these Regulations, the following applies to Junior A hockey:

a) No player having Canadian citizenship shall be classified as an Import;

b) Any player who meets the definition of Import in his first season of Junior A hockey shall continue to be classified as an Import when registering to play Junior A hockey in any subsequent season;

c) The maximum number of Imports that can register and play on a Junior A team at any given time shall be seven (7) in the 2013-14 season, and shall be six (6) beginning in the 2014-15 season. A review of that maximum number shall occur prior to the 2015-16 season.

d) If a team requires special assistance through any unusual situation which develops, the Chair of Hockey Canada or his designate may permit a team to register and play Imports in addition to the number of number of Imports permitted under Regulation K.30.1(c), using the same criteria set out in By-Laws 1214(a), (b) and (d)

Also, unlike the CHL, imports in the CJHL are players that are outside the province the team is in correct? I am a Lloydminster Bobcats fan and I am curious for them, do they have both Alberta and Saskatchewan to recruit from away from the import rule and same idea with Flin Flon?

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
in JR A and can play in any Province without being designated as an Import. US born players are now considered Imports for as long as they play in the CJHL...

From HC Handbook:

30.1. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in these Regulations, the following applies to Junior A hockey:

a) No player having Canadian citizenship shall be classified as an Import;

b) Any player who meets the definition of Import in his first season of Junior A hockey shall continue to be classified as an Import when registering to play Junior A hockey in any subsequent season;

c) The maximum number of Imports that can register and play on a Junior A team at any given time shall be seven (7) in the 2013-14 season, and shall be six (6) beginning in the 2014-15 season. A review of that maximum number shall occur prior to the 2015-16 season.

d) If a team requires special assistance through any unusual situation which develops, the Chair of Hockey Canada or his designate may permit a team to register and play Imports in addition to the number of number of Imports permitted under Regulation K.30.1(c), using the same criteria set out in By-Laws 1214(a), (b) and (d)

Thanks for the clarification. I know at one point Imports were considered from outside the province. Then again I've only this past season gotten into the Bobcats heavily, so I may be confusing Junior B or Senior AAA rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00