TV: Amazon's Goliath

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Pretty good show by Amazon with Billy Bob Thorton. Anyone else catch this yet. Did a search and didn't see a thread.

Once a powerful lawyer, Billy McBride is now a washed up ambulance chaser, who spends more time in bars than the courtroom. When Billy reluctantly agrees to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against the massive law firm he helped create, a vast and deadly conspiracy comes to light. Billy and his team end up in a life-or-death trial against the ultimate foe, which could end up helping Billy find redemption and exact revenge on the firm. The Amazon original series is created by David E. Kelley and Jonathan Shapiro.

Wouldn't mind another season.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I liked it quite a bit but then again I love watching Billy Bob, I think he's a great actor, however, making BBT play a degenerate drunk doesn't seem like too much of a stretch though.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
I enjoyed it, mostly for Thornton and Arianda's chemistry, which should demand a renewal, they were so much fun together. Their whole motley crew in fact, I found myself yearning for more of them and less of the corrupt, back-stabby, creep-o world of the corporate law firm, which offered some initial intrigue but became somewhat predictable and banal by the end. Though I did enjoy Dwight Yoakam as a one-dimensional 80's-style sleazy corporate throwback. Overall a steady piece of LA noir.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Watched this series over the Christmas break. I enjoyed it, mostly because of Billy Bob who basically played the same role he's played many times before, this time with the profession of lawyer. The show will never hold up to many other great TV shows running right now, but it's definitely better than network and holds the viewers interest through the 8 episode run. Definitely worth a watch.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Similar to Billions in some respects.

And excellent acting all around.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Watched the first 2 episodes last night. Billy Bob is awesome. Lot of potential in the show. Only thing I wasn't thrilled about was William Hurts character. Seemed very cartoonish.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
I actually started this last night myself, thought the first two episodes were good, I'm intrigued so far

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Just got around to watching this. Loving it through 4 episodes. Not a lot of buzz around this show, but it definitely deserves some. Hope it has a decent run on Amazon and isn't one-and-done. With David E. Kelly involved, I imagine it will have some legs.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Watched the first 2 episodes last night. Billy Bob is awesome. Lot of potential in the show. Only thing I wasn't thrilled about was William Hurts character. Seemed very cartoonish.

*click* *click*

Agreed.

*click* *click*

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Just finished the season. I thought the ending was kind of lame. I didn't like the ending as I didn't buy some of the stuff that happened. The show seemed to lose steam as it went on, after starting out really strong.

Overall an ok show that should have been better.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm 5 episodes through this season I think. Billy Bob is great as always, but some of the writing is pretty bad. He makes the show watchable though.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm 5 episodes through this season I think. Billy Bob is great as always, but some of the writing is pretty bad. He makes the show watchable though.

The entire premise that if this kid is not framed for the murder, everything will be uncovered is a stretch. It's a gang, cartel murder that happens all the time. Even before BBT is on the case. It was nice to see Lou Diamond in this

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The entire premise that if this kid is not framed for the murder, everything will be uncovered is a stretch. It's a gang, cartel murder that happens all the time. Even before BBT is on the case. It was nice to see Lou Diamond in this
The mayors relationship with Billy Bob just doesn't fit at all to me

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Season 1 was excellent, if not a bit overboard with the 'baddie'.
Season 2 is utter garbage...it requires so much suspended reality on behalf of the viewer and the acceptance of the most illogical premises. You're constantly being forced to overlook the ridiculousness of the every character's relationship with every other character, or wondering if the writers have any knowledge of our justice system or the law in general. Can't imagine there will be a Season 3 after that effort. If that's the best Amazon can come up with, then don't bother...which is a shame, because Thornton can carry a show of this type as evidenced in S1. The rest of the production team failed miserably with S2, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: kalle wirsch

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
That had to be the worst 2nd season of a show I have ever watched. What a pile of nonsense.

Lol, I finished it last night as well. Really bad writing.

I love how Billy Bob figures out that Gabriel is the head of the cartel and had previously kidnapped him. So what does he do? Goes to Mexico and knocks on his door, lol.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Lol, I finished it last night as well. Really bad writing.

The worst. BBT deserves to be in another show. The court room stuff was the best from season 1 and there was almost none of it.

I love how Billy Bob figures out that Gabriel is the head of the cartel and had previously kidnapped him. So what does he do? Goes to Mexico and knocks on his door, lol.

The entire thing made no sense. I feel like they left with a cliffhanger here like they're going to continue this storyline.

I will say the episode where he wakes up in the house with all the strangers was well done and a good twist but the rest of the garbage, after 8 episodes of nothing I've got HR puff n' stuff stuck in my head. f***!

BBT acting good, BBT shooting gun hilarious when not intended to be.

MoffatMan

Feb 8, 2019
Wild West
Bumping this up - Season 3 has been released and so far it hasn't disappointed. Amy Brenneman and Dennis Quaid have been added for this season. The premise of this season is the water drought in Central California

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad