Amazing Karlsson stat

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The chart that the hockey outsider posted is definitely impressive and shows how much weight Karlsson carries on that team, but strongly needs context as thankfully many have pointed out. The posters quickly claiming he's up there with Orr were silly.

And in Karlsson's case, it reflects how much he's on the ice.

Does it?

During Lidstrom's 08 Norris season, only 3 players averaged more time per ice per game than him. He did miss a few games, but still finished 10th in total ice time that season.

Despite all of that, he finished 136th in blocked shots among defencemen.

Do we want to compare Karlsson to Lidstrom defensively?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The chart that the hockey outsider posted is definitely impressive and shows how much weight Karlsson carries on that team, but strongly needs context as thankfully many have pointed out. The posters quickly claiming he's up there with Orr were silly.

Does it?

During Lidstrom's 08 Norris season, only 3 players averaged more time per ice per game than him. He did miss a few games, but still finished 10th in total ice time that season.

Despite all of that, he finished 136th in blocked shots among defencemen.

Do we want to compare Karlsson to Lidstrom defensively?

To be fair. Detroits system very rarely ever didn't have the puck. 23 shots against that season. Best in the league.

Ottawas system very rarely ever has thr puck. 30 shots against this season. 14th best in the league.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
To be fair. Detroits system very rarely ever didn't have the puck. 23 shots against that season. Best in the league.

Ottawas system very rarely ever has thr puck. 30 shots against this season. 14th best in the league.

Lidstrom ranked 4th among his own team's defencemen though and I'm pretty sure if you were to break it down by blocked shot per minute, Lidstrom would have been last among his team's defencemen.

Andreas Lilja had 44 more blocked shots than Lidstrom despite playing nearly 600 less minutes. Even more so, Lilja played 1 minute less per game shorthanded than Lidstrom did and was still able to rack up the blocked shots. So it's not like blocking shots was impossible on that team.

The point being, that blocked shots doesn't necessarily equate to being amazing defensively and even more so - it certainly isn't just the result of Karlsson being on the ice so much as the poster I quoted stated.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Shouldn't goals be more valued than assists? Just counting them all as points is an injustice to Burns this season, as he was the best offensive defenseman this year.

Most the time I would agree with that except on plays where the pass is so great it turns out to be more significant than the goal. Like where a guy sets up his teammate for a tap in on an empty net.

I do agree with you that Burns was the best offensive defensemen this season. In fact I think an argument could be made that Burns was the best offensive defensemen for the last 2 seasons.

Anidalife

Nov 16, 2007
Exactly. Those numbers look great when Ottawa hasn't had that great offensive player in some time, other than Alfredsson and Spezza. Ottawa's been very mediocre team offensively for some time, at least in my books.

Let's say it's true that a player's point percentage is inflated on a bad team. Let's adjust it down for Karlsson. Now let's look at raw points then. How much do you think it should be adjusted up because Karlsson plays with mediocre players? You can't talk about one without the other. Should it be about the same ratio? Give me a good ratio and I'll see what him real point totals look like.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Shouldn't goals be more valued than assists? Just counting them all as points is an injustice to Burns this season, as he was the best offensive defenseman this year.

See my previous reply - I provide a link to my original thread which looks at goals and assists separately.

If you have a methodology for weighing goals and assists, other than simply adding them, let me know and I can run the numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad