Amazing article about Drapes and the Avs

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah that was a good one. I still watch the replays of that game. It's impossible not to love the way Draper played the game. I miss those teams so much.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That game was like something out of a movie. I didn't actually see it live. My friend had it on VHS tape and loaned it to me the next day. He said if I didn't get him the tape back there would be consequences lol.

It added so much more to their cup run. The cup would have been amazing on its own but the way they took this game made the whole thing electric.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Loved the article, and the memory. That moment when Shanny hit Roy in mid-air still stands out as one of the most incredible things I've ever seen while watching a hockey game.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'll never not cheering seeing shannys flying cross body block on roy. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was both jumping up and down screaming and laughing at the same time. It was just incredible. Pretty sure I had tears when mac scored in ot. You just knew it was a turning point.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I'll never not cheering seeing shannys flying cross body block on roy. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was both jumping up and down screaming and laughing at the same time. It was just incredible. Pretty sure I had tears when mac scored in ot. You just knew it was a turning point.

Seeing that ******* Roy get body slammed again after all these years made my day!
Thanks for posting.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Read the story and thought, well isn't that nice.

Then watched the video, and the hatred came roaring back.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
It's fitting that the commentator for the Wings during that game went on to be one of the main announcers for the UFC.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Thank you for sharing. I don't visit The Players' Tribune as often as I should. So many amazing reads there. This has eclipsed the John Scott article as my favorite.

Brings back so many memories. I was 14-15 during this stretch. Huge impact on me and a few hockey watching buddies in our small boring Michigan town. I even defaced a table in shop class with vulgarities about Claude Lemieux and Patrick Roy.

Hard to believe it's been nearly 20 years.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Long-time Avs fan here...and I was almost in tears at the end of that article. When I sit down to watch the Avs and Wings circa 2017 that also makes me want to cry. Reminiscing about a long gone era where the passion and hate fueled greatness. Lines were crossed. Faces were bloodied. Hate was not nearly a strong enough word. But both sides knew it was part of the equation that drove the achievements. Now we watch two inept franchises in disrepair and see none of that. It's not the fault of most of these current players. It's an unfair burden to expect what we all witnessed years ago and I still cheer for my side. But it's not the same. While our franchises may one day again rekindle something amazing (although likely not with each other) - for me it will never and can never be the same.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I just can't even with that era and those players and that game. Feel so fortunate to have witnessed something that was that charged and that amazing. I don't see any sports period in the future, in my life, that can top that.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Great article, indeed!

I still say to this day, that in my life, there was no greater hockey era than from 1995-2002, during the Avs-Red Wings period. That in itself what a treat to watch from a hockey fan standpoint, due to the animosity both teams had for the other, and being on one side of that, only intensified it in my eyes.

I was only 14 at the time, but can recall that day like no other, and the feeling after it was all over, that payback had finally been served from the year prior, and what a great feeling it was to have at a young age. :yo:

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
The biggest disappointment from that game was that Mickey was on his way down to the dressing room to do the intermission interview and missed the entire thing! We were stuck listening to that turd Mike Goldberg. Mickey might have needed a change of undergarments had he been on the air to give the blow by blow of the fights.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I just can't even with that era and those players and that game. Feel so fortunate to have witnessed something that was that charged and that amazing. I don't see any sports period in the future, in my life, that can top that.

the last great hockey rivalry imo.

with all the rule changes, parity, and such now, I don't think we will ever see something of that magnitude ever again in the NHL

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
the last great hockey rivalry imo.

with all the rule changes, parity, and such now, I don't think we will ever see something of that magnitude ever again in the NHL

Agreed, it's gone forever. It is impossible, for several reasons, for teams like that to exist anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad