Olympics: "Amateur" athletes

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I was watching the Olympics the other day and the announcer was talking about how all of the best amateur athletes gathered for this event.

How the heck are Olympic athletes considered to be amateurs? They get paid and train like crazy to be the best.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I was watching the Olympics the other day and the announcer was talking about how all of the best amateur athletes gathered for this event.

How the heck are Olympic athletes considered to be amateurs? They get paid and train like crazy to be the best.

There are a lot of idiots who think that "amateur" = "athlete who doesn't play in the NFL, NBA, NHL, or MLB"

HarlemsFinest

teh gallys!!1
Jul 2, 2009
Montreal
www.montrealracing.com
ya i'm sure these are are luging 35 hours a week.

most of these people have normal jobs unless they are truly world class top level in their sport.

olympics and winning a medal doesn't really pay much. countries can pay their athletes incentives when they win, but most people are indeed bagging groceries by march.

so unless the sport you practice pays your living. you are an amateur athlete.

Spence334

Dec 23, 2008
ya i'm sure these are are luging 35 hours a week.

most of these people have normal jobs unless they are truly world class top level in their sport.

olympics and winning a medal doesn't really pay much. countries can pay their athletes incentives when they win, but most people are indeed bagging groceries by march.

so unless the sport you practice pays your living. you are an amateur athlete.

This

Most athletes are amateurs. They don't get paid anything to compete at these games. I'm pretty sure guys like Bolt and Phelps make money off endorsements

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The majority of sports at the Olympics are professional now. Using the likes of luge, one of the few that isn't, as an example is just silly.

tomf

Apr 13, 2007
This

Most athletes are amateurs. They don't get paid anything to compete at these games. I'm pretty sure guys like Bolt and Phelps make money off endorsements

Correct me if I'm wrong but Bolt is getting well over 100K for every meet he starts. I'm pretty sure that track and field athletes are pros.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
The Olympics was originally just for amateurs. Now the individual federations are allowed to decide the rules. I'm sure there are still a significant number of amateurs still in the Olympics, but yes, many are professional now.

For instance, one of the Russian lugers I believe is a butcher by trade.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The old form of ameteurism was an exploitive sham that had no basis in history anyway. So if you're the best in the world at something and can make a living at it, good for you.

FruityPants3*

I had the same reaction when I found out the truth about bangbus.

Hockeyfan_86

Nov 26, 2003
If the Nhl does not participate in the Sochi games, who would Canada and the rest of the world use as their athletes?
I know that the CHL pays their players a stipend that makes them ineligible for NCAA hockey...so I guess CHL players are a no. Anyone know anything about this?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Luge, skeleton and bobseld are the exceptions, not the rules. Name another sport that is completely amateur in the Winter Games.

If the Nhl does not participate in the Sochi games, who would Canada and the rest of the world use as their athletes?
I know that the CHL pays their players a stipend that makes them ineligible for NCAA hockey...so I guess CHL players are a no. Anyone know anything about this?

People are confused here. Countries have been allowed to send pros to the Olympics since 1988... the NHL only got involved in 1998. CHLers would be eligible to go and likely would like they did in 1988-1994... as would AHLers.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
The Olympics was originally just for amateurs. Now the individual federations are allowed to decide the rules. I'm sure there are still a significant number of amateurs still in the Olympics, but yes, many are professional now.

For instance, one of the Russian lugers I believe is a butcher by trade.

correct me if im wrong, but one of the swiss hockey players in 06 was a carpenter i believe

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
I would like to know what percentage of olympians were born into families you would call poor.

I don't see how you can end up an olympic athlete unless your parents have been spending thousands of dollars training you since you were 6 or 7.

Most of the athletes come from pretty well off families or legacy families(i.e. their parents competed)

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
one thing you definitely notice with amateur athletes is they don't give scripted answers during interviews

it's quite refreshing

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I would like to know what percentage of olympians were born into families you would call poor.

I don't see how you can end up an olympic athlete unless your parents have been spending thousands of dollars training you since you were 6 or 7.

Most of the athletes come from pretty well off families or legacy families(i.e. their parents competed)

Many Olympic sports are for rich people, it's definitely true.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Luge, skeleton and bobseld are the exceptions, not the rules. Name another sport that is completely amateur in the Winter Games.

Biathalon, speed skating, figure skating, skiing, ski jumping, pretty much everything NOT hockey and snowboarding.

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Biathalon, speed skating, figure skating, skiing, ski jumping, pretty much everything NOT hockey and snowboarding.

All the sports you named take at least a thousand USD a year to play, at minimum. And I'm talking about play casually, not train to be the best in the world at. The cost skyrockets when you start to need a lot of facility time.

Hockey looks like the cheapest sport you listed.

David Brent

Nov 7, 2006
Norway
yeah this was 4 years ago and i believe it was just one guy... but i might be confusing it with a different team...

i dont think i am tho.. because i was really mad when canada lost to a carpenter

The guy you're thinking of is PÃ¥l Grotnes. He worked as a carpenter until about 6 months ago, when he was given a sort of a scholarship so that he could focus on hockey. He's Norway's goalie by the way:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad