Am I wrong or right (player attitude)?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thinking about it a bit more another point I wanted to make, since most of us are in a city we tend to play in leagues that have aynwhere from 8 to 20 divisions. So technically the difference between 'winning' and 'losing' is a simple matter of moving up or down a few divisions. You'll come across teams that dominate their own division, but then refuse to get moved up. At that point the desire to 'win' starts getting kind of pathetic.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Thinking about it a bit more another point I wanted to make, since most of us are in a city we tend to play in leagues that have aynwhere from 8 to 20 divisions. So technically the difference between 'winning' and 'losing' is a simple matter of moving up or down a few divisions. You'll come across teams that dominate their own division, but then refuse to get moved up. At that point the desire to 'win' starts getting kind of pathetic.

Yeah there's a difference, I think, in wanting to win and wanting to compete. I go out there to have fun but also to compete, and a cakewalk is only fun for so long. I love challenging, tight games against a balanced, equal opponent (or even one slightly better). It's fun to run up the score once in awhile but not so much season in, season out.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
definitely agree with the winning vs. competing. its one thing to lose after having put it all out there on the ice, but its another thing to float. especially when youre dropping money.

i dont disagree that team captains should be able to stack lines in a situation like that. if im playing at any competitive level im trying to be the guy that gets on in a situation like that.

KuemperTantrum

Aug 11, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Then again I don't have that 'drive' that most guys have. I'm out there for exercise, not winning or losing, so I don't really care either way personally.

Which makes your post useless, pretty much.. Most of us have the drive to win, that's why I play hockey. I love the sport but I LOVE to win. I could have played the best game, but if we lose, who cares? You lost.

Guy sound's like a ******, ever hear that expression "take one for the team"? Applies here perfectly.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Which makes your post useless, pretty much.. Most of us have the drive to win, that's why I play hockey. I love the sport but I LOVE to win. I could have played the best game, but if we lose, who cares? You lost.

Guy sound's like a ******, ever hear that expression "take one for the team"? Applies here perfectly.

Different strokes for different folks ;)

I'm kind of half & half in that apart from extending my season I don't care the least bit about winning, yet at the same I'm having the most fun when I come back to the bench out of breadth because I was going all out giving it 110% on my shift.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I really dont understand how beer league guys, even playing "A" or "B" level, can get THAT into the whole winning and losing thing. I think both the captain and the guy are wrong but the complainer is more wrong than the captain.

Its a beer league, you're playing for nothing. I really do get the competitiveness of games but there's a line you have to draw before you're taking meaningless games WAAAAAY too seriously. If you're really getting a sense of glory or accomplishment out of those games then you're putting too much stock into a rec league IMO. Does it really matter if you lose a playoff game? With that said, this isn't little league where everyone plays x amount of innings and gets x amounts of at bats. The dude is an adult, he should act like one.

I commend you if you are able to do this, but I am the complete opposite. I don't care what age or level I am playing at -- I take it extremely seriously. I'm not saying being chippy as anything and going through guys at all costs. But yeah, I get pissed if my team loses and celebrate hard if my team wins. I have teammates just like me, and others who are there for the sake of it. It bothers me and my teammates when there is that disconnect. If you join any type of league where the score and stats are kept, whatever level it may be, I have absolutely no problem with guys putting stock into it.

If this guy is so concerned about getting the same amount of ice time as everyone else because he paid the same fee, he should just rent ice with a bunch of guys and play shinny.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I commend you if you are able to do this, but I am the complete opposite. I don't care what age or level I am playing at -- I take it extremely seriously. I'm not saying being chippy as anything and going through guys at all costs. But yeah, I get pissed if my team loses and celebrate hard if my team wins. I have teammates just like me, and others who are there for the sake of it. It bothers me and my teammates when there is that disconnect. If you join any type of league where the score and stats are kept, whatever level it may be, I have absolutely no problem with guys putting stock into it.

If this guy is so concerned about getting the same amount of ice time as everyone else because he paid the same fee, he should just rent ice with a bunch of guys and play shinny.

Agreed on all points. I've found that usually the ones who don't care about winning are losing are the ones on crap level teams in the first place. Those of us who played juniors, college, or pro join the higher leagues and want to continue playing at the highest level we can with our old, aching bones.

If you aren't going to give 100%, there's no point in joining a league. Like you said, if you don't care about winning or losing and aren't going to put forth a full effort, then rent some ice and invite your loser buddies to play shinny.

Superstar Treatment

Sep 20, 2009
732 Jersey
I've found it to be the complete opposite. On the teams I've played on with guys who have all played at a high level, and play against guys who have all played on a high level, it's a much cleaner game and everyone just goes about their business afterward.

It's when I've filled in at lower levels that I've seen way more guys break sticks out of anger or slash a guy 'cause he took the puck from him.

I'm sure there's still guys who skate at a high level who let a loss irk them but it's just so much more present at lower levels. I personally think it's 'cause, for the most part, the high level guys have been playing against each other for years. I play at guys at 30 who I played with/against in tournaments when I was 16. So there's a level of respect between everyone. And if you lose the thought process is more "oh, well blank blank and blank are good players, it happens." At the lower levels it's just such a mishmash of guys that the same overall vibe doesn't present itself.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
I've found it to be the complete opposite. On the teams I've played on with guys who have all played at a high level, and play against guys who have all played on a high level, it's a much cleaner game and everyone just goes about their business afterward.

Agree, high level guys have put 100's of hours of training per year, usually under pressure to perform & improve, for more than a decade or two. They've learned discipline, they are all competitive, but for the guys who keep playing rec past their competitive days:

playing the game>winning.

It's rec league, no city or school is being represented, there's no fanbase or owners or alumni to keep happy. No one is being paid or receiving scholarships or being scouted.

McDugan

Jun 29, 2010
if you don't care about winning or losing and aren't going to put forth a full effort.

One does not exclude the other by any means. These two concepts are being thrown around as if they are married to each other.

It's 100% possible to be a good member of a team, give a huge effort, play hard, lose a game (because it happens, not because anyone didn't care), and then walk out the doors of the rink and go home and make another baby with the wife instead of stewing over the loss. Some of the guys in this thread should really consider giving that a try.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Why? You're playing on a rink that 10 year olds just played on a few hours ago. You're not getting paid, you're not getting a scholarship, you're not trying out for any higher level. The games are completely meaningless.

I couldn't ever imagine losing and then actually having a lingering feeling of anger/disappointment. Even if we won whatever men's league championship i'd just be thinking "....cool! That was a lot of fun. When's the next game boys?!"

I love hockey. We all do. When i play i want to do the best that i can and have the most fun i can have doing it. Anything else on the spectrum of caring too much or not caring enough is a total waste of time, energy, and emotion IMO

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Why? You're playing on a rink that 10 year olds just played on a few hours ago. You're not getting paid, you're not getting a scholarship, you're not trying out for any higher level. The games are completely meaningless.

I couldn't ever imagine losing and then actually having a lingering feeling of anger/disappointment. Even if we won whatever men's league championship i'd just be thinking "....cool! That was a lot of fun. When's the next game boys?!"

I love hockey. We all do. When i play i want to do the best that i can and have the most fun i can have doing it. Anything else on the spectrum of caring too much or not caring enough is a total waste of time, energy, and emotion IMO

yea...youre right. i guess ill stop competing. :sarcasm:

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
My level of care fluctuates based on the division I am participating in. People that try too hard at low levels irritate me and I do my best to embarrass them. Apart from that my game at low levels is primarily focused on helping everyone on the team have fun, making sure everyone gets to play and handle the puck etc.

If you want to be ultra competitive, play at a higher level. If you aren't good enough for that and still want to be ultra competitive, work on your skills so you can eventually fit into the right division.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Competitive nature. If I contextualized my entire life in comparison to everything else, then I'd have a completely meaningless life as well.

But you're right, I'm not getting paid, nor trying out for any higher level. That's why I wear a cage to play (I like my teeth and want to see my kids grow up), don't do anything stupid along the boards or chippy with my stick (we all have to go to work the next day), and have no problem acknowledging players on the other team for making a nice play or tapping the goalie on his pads for a nice save.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to be completely apathetic to the outcome and am going to drop any emotion I have the second I step off the rink. If that's the case, I'll just go to the local rink and throw my stick in the pile. But that's just me.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

When I was 10, we had local D1 ice and frequently played on it. That didn't bring down the college team at all :sarcasm: Many people on high school or college team haven't got much chance for anything bigger beyond their current endeavors either.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
There is a thin line between apathetic- competitive- over competitive. You want to be in the middle for beer league hockey. I can't stand guys who don't care and are there for the "exercise" and I can't stand guys who try way too hard.

I personally am a very competitive person by nature and I have to control that during sporting events. On the ice I give an honest effort and I want to win however I simply can not turn my switch all the way on and give 110% and pour all my emotions into it because if I do I will either hurt myself or someone else inadvertently.

If I play well and I help my team win then yes I feel good for the night. If I play bad and my team loses then yes I feel bad sometimes. That being said by the next day I'm over it.

As for the situation the OP describes while I understand the point that everybody pays you have to realize you are on a team. Especially in the playoffs if someone on my team pulled something like that their opinion would be respected but they would have to find themselves another team for the next session. It doesn't bother me at all if I have to sit the bench for the final 2-3 minutes of a game and miss one shift if the odds of my team winning is increased. That's what being a team player is about it's not about you.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Don't get me wrong boys, it's not like I'm out skating with my head in the clouds. I want to win too. That's why I'm on a team and not just doing drop in.

Winning is important, but if we don't win my attitude is "****, we lost. I'm going to do x, y, and z better next time to help the team" and it never goes beyond that.

That's all I'm trying to say. To get actually upset is a little excessive to me is all

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
It cracks me up the people who say " I am just playing for exercise.". What a cop-out. The just go play drop-in or over 40. If you play in a league that = competition. It is not fair to your teammates if you are not trying to win. It is not fair to your teammates if you do not have the drive to compete. You pay the $$ for the right to be part of a team, and all that comes with being part of a team with a common goal, it should be fun and equal ice is fine but don't give me the lame cop-out " I'm just playing to get exercise because if exercise were what you were looking for there are many cheaper and quicker ways to get exercise.

I totally agree. Play hard and play to win or get off the ice and play shinny or open hockey instead. A lot of guys that don't get it are young, coming out of college/club etc. Give it time. If you still don't get it check to see if u have a pair.

A game is a game. Two guys with different jerseys battling for a puck. If you aren't trying 100% that's your problem.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
You can't ask someone to lose their competitive nature. Some people are just wired that way.

As for rec hockey, I want to win. Every time. I'll do whatever it takes to win and I have always been like that ever since I first strapped on my skates at the age of 6. At the same time I have always been a realist. I know when I'm the better player and when I'm not. When I'm the bender of the group I will gladly step off the ice for better players to get on if it gives us a chance to win. Losing isn't fun. I don't know how anyone can find joy in losing.

Well said sir. To be clear it doesn't mean playing dirty, or being an a hole when the game is over and you lost. I get players much better and younger than me that get all pissy when I give 100% defending them. I guess I'm just supposed to lay down while you have your fun? Not gonna happen

I don't get home after midnight for "exercise". I do it because I'm a man and men have always enjoyed banding together and kicking another group of men's ass. It's still in our DNA if you have a pair.

madguitarist

Jul 15, 2013
Moose Jaw, SK
Class-act right here.

While I agree that it seems like a cold way to look at it, you have to look at it objectively. If you're playing in a game where scores are being kept, and tournaments are being played, then the goal, is to win. If you're not as good as your mates, and they need the best players on the ice, then you need to recognize that it's not you, and take one for the team for the sake of potentially winning, even if it means you lose a bit of ice time. It's not about you, it's about the team, and being a dick at a crucial time in the game, is not something that a team player does.

You're not the only one paying fees, so why do you feel like your opinion is the only one that matters, when the rest of the team wants you off the ice for that particular play, and have paid equally as much money individually? If you don't care about winning or losing, then go play drop-in or pick-up, and stay out of league play, because you're ruining the fun for guys who like to compete, win, and push themselves to play their best.

This isn't about whether the ice time was equal or not. This is about the fact that it is a team sport, and not an individual sport. One guy's want, does not supersede the team's need. You're one voice on the team, not the only voice. If you're outnumbered, then democratic process dictates that your way, is not the way to go. If you refuse to go with what the majority wants, then you should go play golf or something, because you're selfish, and are completely missing the concept of teamwork.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad