Am I wrong about Messier?

• Thread starter Randall Graves*
  • Start date

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
As far as Malkin goes, I think he'll end up similar to a player like Mats Sundin, I don't see him being physical.

I pretty much agree with this. Nothing I've seen of Malkin so far(and in all fairness, I haven't seen overly much) suggests he plays a very physical game at all.I'm sure he's not soft, i just don't think he's a power forward type.

Randall Graves*

Rally, I read posts like the one you quoted here and simply shake my head.

The internet is a wonderful communications tool on a lot of levels. On the flipside, it allows people to share opinions on topics about which they know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING without having to face the absurdity of their comments. Such is the case here.

I'd bet my life this latest genius wasn't even part of the universe at the time Messier was toiling for Edmonton.

No need to waste your time with this one. People get pissed off when I write it because it's true: you have an awful lot of "Born Yesterday, Everyday" types on HF. They know of nothing that happened before last week...and care not to learn about it. Yet they will pass judgement on it! And the result is that they inevitably diminish the careers and achievements of proven greats along the way...while prematurely (by decades) granting greatness and unearned comparisons upon unproven teenagers...in this case one yet to skate a shift in the NHL. :dunce:

This was a great board not too long ago.
This is still a great board, I particularly enjoy the History of Hockey section. You can never learn too much about the history of the game, I even like Chooch's posts because you can telll he's followed the game for a long time...he's just really biased ;)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Thorton = Messier? :biglaugh:

Find a tape (DVD?) of game 4 of the Oilers-Hawks '90 SF and see how one man can will a team to a victory.

Thorton is the softest "Big man" in the leauge today.

Thornton isn't really soft per say there are alot softer than he is but he is by no means a player like Messier. Messier was dirty, he was intimidating. Thornton is not that type of player. Consider that Messier was often on a line with Glenn Anderson who was very dirty and a supreme agitator. Then think about the top line with super pest Tikkanen and Kurri and Gretzky. And the third line and fourth line was full of gritty guys like McSorely, MacTavish and such. And on defence they had Steve Smith who was tough, dirty and mean. The late Oilers teams in 1987 and 1988 are the best teams I have ever seen. They had everything... speed, offensive force, defensive force (in the playoffs), the knowledge of how to win and the determination and confidence to never think they were not going to win. Tough, dirty, skilled they had everything you could ever want in a hockey team.

To compare Malkin to Messier at this point is a ludicris as to compare Crosby to Gretzky. Malkin may have that will to win Messier had. He doesn't have to be as physical or dirty as Messier to have it but he has to really have a determination that few others possess. Gretzky had it (though not at all in a physical way), Gilmour had it, Bobby Clarke had it, Forsberg has it. That undying need to win games the bigger the game the higher you raise your play, every season for a decade or more. Malkin may have it or not but he has to prove it before you can even consider him to have it.

You can have a ton of skill and project greatness for a player. It is harder to project the intangibles for a player before he has played a single NHL game.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
:biglaugh:

That's a great quote...and frankly, it summarizes Messier as succinctly as can done.

People talk about him living off of reputation much of the latter part of his career. Guess what? He carved out that reputation...by scoring, leading and winning...habitually!

The funny thing is, you talk about getting an opinion about the Malkin/Messier comparsion from those of us who saw #11 throughout his career. Actually, one need not have seen Messier play one shift to assess the comparison at this ridiculously early date and time:

It's preposterous.

Let's talk once Malkin accumulates several years' (let alone 24, like Messier!) worth of NHL accomplishments - individual and team. As the poster #66 suggested, you can compare styles. But to say he will be the next Messier, let alone the next 10 year NHL journeyman is a stretch before he steps on the ice produces. (In another thread, a couple of "Born Yesterdayers" talked casually about he and/or Crosby surpassing Messier's career offensive totals. Sure! No problem! Easy as pie! :D )

But again, we live in an age where "stardom" is granted liberally by the adoring masses, while actual accomplishment is an afterthought, if that.

Generation Paris Hilton.

I remember a couple of years ago maybe in 2003 or something early in the season Messier just nailing Martin Havlat with a really dirty cross check near the net. Havlat retaliated and it ended up being a big issue for a few days. Messier's play was so dirty and maybe deserved a short suspension yet he attacked the "young punk" Havlat in the media.

Anyway the point is Messier was dirty, in the kind of way that helps his team, that gains you an advantage. He was that way as a 17 year old in the WHA and as a 43 year old on the Rangers. Gordie Howe was exactly the same way. I bet Gordie is the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet off of the ice but on the ice he'd as soon break your nose with an elbow as say hello to you. Hockey can be a brutal game and a player like Messier gives his team an edge in intimidation at all times.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Anyway the point is Messier was dirty, in the kind of way that helps his team, that gains you an advantage. He was that way as a 17 year old in the WHA and as a 43 year old on the Rangers. Gordie Howe was exactly the same way. I bet Gordie is the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet off of the ice but on the ice he'd as soon break your nose with an elbow as say hello to you. Hockey can be a brutal game and a player like Messier gives his team an edge in intimidation at all times.

What's the most telling about guys like Howe, Messier and Scott Stevens?

A few (misguided) fans rant about them up and down for their "mean, dirty" ways. Coaches and peers, on the other hand, speak virtually unanimously in terms of respect.

Brian Leetch, in a videotape at Messier's number retirement at MSG last season, talked about #11 skating by him in one of his first NHL games and nearly taking his head off with a cross-check. Why? Because he could.

Leetch was smiling as he told the story.

Last edited:

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Somehow this kid has taken on living legend status without playing a single game in the NHL while being very impressive in the Olympics and dominating in the RSL.
Fixed.
He doesn't have Messier's strength on his skates, leadership or physical mentality. (I do have some concerns with the way Marc Staal and Ryan Parent neutralized Malkin in the final of the WJC).
How do you know that? He has captained team Russia. How on earth would you know if doens't possess Messier leadership (it's a good bet he doesn't but proclaiming it as a fact, especially as a non-Russian, is stupid).

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I pretty much agree with this. Nothing I've seen of Malkin so far(and in all fairness, I haven't seen overly much) suggests he plays a very physical game at all.I'm sure he's not soft, i just don't think he's a power forward type.
Not at a Messier level but he does play a power game more like Sundin. Style wise he actually reminds me alot of a thinner and faster Sundin when he was with Quebec, better defensively though. He makes power moves using his reach like Sundin and uses his size in the defensive zone like Bobby Smith.

Again he has the makings to be a great player.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Ok, let me say it again more clear since people did't understand what I said the first time...

Messier back then is like Thonrton today, that's not to say they're the same type of player, I was clearly responding to a quote that said Messier was a power forward back then, I disagree with the power forward claim because people at one point also called Thornton a power forward, but in reality these two guys (While not the same) both have a physical edge but they use their skill more then their physical side.

And whoever said Thonrton is soft should watch him more often before making such claims, not too long ago the guy racked up 100+ PIM's, not exactly a softie.

espo*

Fixed.

How do you know that? He has captained team Russia. How on earth would you know if doens't possess Messier leadership (it's a good bet he doesn't but proclaiming it as a fact, especially as a non-Russian, is stupid).

Does'nt matter Xplo.He has to do it night in and night out here before we start crowning him as the next King of Hockey would'nt you say?.

Just let the kid come in and SHOW us he's worthy of HOF status.Playing well at the olympics and really well in the super league does'nt buy you anything.He has'nt earned it yet.

When he's dominating the league and carrying teams on his back in the playoffs i'll give him all the credit in the world.What i won't do is start calling him better then the all time greats of the game before he's even played a game in the n.h.l.

No-one should.

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Am I overrating Messier? I think he was the prototype PF in his prime and if you were building a modern day PF he would have many of Messier's attributes..

No, you're not overrating Messier at all. For his outstanding career, Messier deserves to be unanimously elected to the HHOF in his first year of eligibility.

I'm just extremely optimistic about Malkin's potential. Though I also agree with one of the other posters who suggested that Malkin could end up more like a Beliveau-type player.

I'd bet my life this latest genius wasn't even part of the universe at the time Messier was toiling for Edmonton.

You lose. In fact, I lived in Edmonton back in 1983-84. Besides watching a lot of hockey, I still remember the TV commercials that Messier, Linesman and Anderson made for the West Edmonton Mall; though they weren't anywhere as funny as the hardware store commercials featuring Lee Fogolin and Dave Semenko.

Last edited:

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Does'nt matter Xplo.He has to do it night in and night out here before we start crowning him as the next King of Hockey would'nt you say?.

Just let the kid come in and SHOW us he's worthy of HOF status.Playing well at the olympics and really well in the super league does'nt buy you anything.He has'nt earned it yet.

When he's dominating the league and carrying teams on his back in the playoffs i'll give him all the credit in the world.What i won't do is start calling him better then the all time greats of the game before he's even played a game in the n.h.l.

No-one should.
No one has called him better than the all time greats of the game. I just get the feeling from you and some other posters that you are ignoring the fact that this guy is possibly even a better prospect than Ovechkin was. What I'm saying is that Malkin deserves the hype, he still has a lot to prove but he sure has HOF potential, anything else with his talent would be a disappointment.

Also he has done it night in and night out in every other level of play, so why not take it for what it is; a superstar talent?

Transported Upstater

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Not even in your TOP 20!??!

NOT a superstar?!?

Holy ****. Are you kidding? This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen on this board and there are many, many ridiculous posters here.

Sweet Jesus.

He's easily in the Top 20, but personally I don't have him in the Top 10 all-time.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Easy on the Lafleur comparison, buddy. I dont recall Messier being the best player in the world for 6-7 years. I saw them all play and Messier isnt really on my Top 20 since 1971 list. Lafleur is #5. Messier was more reputation and willpower than absolute skill or domination on the ice. His 94 playoffs (and 84) were awesome but there was some magic missing. He was by no means a superstar. I see you bought into the hype (like the Canucks - 3 y 18 million?;) .

Comparing a guy whose nickname was "The Flower" to a guy whose nickname was "The Moose"??????????
My favorite memory of Guy Lafleur was while he was with the Nordiques and he got caught trying an outdated,pretty boy play in his own end and Cam Neely knocked the golden gleam right out of his ultra-womanly hair.
Lafleur was a smoothskating scorer...Messie was a smooth skating all around player and as a matter of act...The Moose would have eaten a garden full of flowers and still been pawing his hooves for more.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Comparing a guy whose nickname was "The Flower" to a guy whose nickname was "The Moose"??????????
My favorite memory of Guy Lafleur was while he was with the Nordiques and he got caught trying an outdated,pretty boy play in his own end and Cam Neely knocked the golden gleam right out of his ultra-womanly hair.
Lafleur was a smoothskating scorer...Messie was a smooth skating all around player and as a matter of act...The Moose would have eaten a garden full of flowers and still been pawing his hooves for more.

Still Lafleur in his prime in the later 70's was the best player in the NHL. He may not have been a physical player like Messier but he had the will to win. And he did win just a few cups in his career.

espo*

No one has called him better than the all time greats of the game. I just get the feeling from you and some other posters that you are ignoring the fact that this guy is possibly even a better prospect than Ovechkin was. What I'm saying is that Malkin deserves the hype, he still has a lot to prove but he sure has HOF potential, anything else with his talent would be a disappointment.

Also he has done it night in and night out in every other level of play, so why not take it for what it is; a superstar talent?

Yes,he has all-star talent.But i've heard him described as everything from a "Lemieux with more speed" to a "more dominant physical and intimidating force" then Messier.I'm sure you've seen him play,not much of his game would suggest that i'm sure you'll agree.Maybe the craziness has taken on a fever pitch because of all the cloak and dagger stuff ,people tend to like that stuff all bent out of shape over it.It seems to be the case anyway when a young player like him get's put alongside some of the best players to ever play the game and he has'nt played a game yet in the nhl,which in all due respect to the Russian league,IS the best league in the world.

I just want him to prove he can be he's a superior player to guys like Messier and Lemieux.I can't give him that status until he at least plays and proves himself night in and night out against the best,no Russian league hype is going to do that for me.

Anyway you slice it the guy has a major task ahead of him to be anywhere near the quality of player guys like them were ,let alone being better then them. Finishing 2nd or 3rd in scoring while playing good defense in the RSL won't cut it for me.

But he can start proving it to me,he's here now.I'm just not going to hand anything to him until he does it.

Randall Graves*

He doesn't deserve the hype to a point where people start including his name with the likes of Messier, Lemieux and Beliveau. Look Malkin is an outstanding talent, it's just tiresome having so many people compare prospects or reasonably inexperianced players to legends who helped build the game.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Fixed.

Ooohh, he captained Team Russia at the WJC. Yep, that Russian team was filled with players who have been hailed as future captains. Yep. That sure is impressive. Maybe if he was on a team filled with great young leaders, I'd take notice. But if that Russian team had great leaders, they wouldn't have rolled over against Canada.

I've read a lot of great things about Malkin, and I think he has superstar potential. But I haven't read anything that describes him as a great leader. Now, leadership is often a difficult thing to gauge at age 20. But usually scouts get a good grasp of young players with great leadership abilities. Mike Richards, for example.

Mark my words: Malkin will not be the leader that Messier is. I can guarantee you that.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Messier was a guy who could care less if he separated your head from your shoulders. He was going to get payback no matter what if you didn't like it....

I'd get frustrated watching because I thought the Gordie Howe rules were in effect for him. Teams always had to be aware of him, kind of llike the young physical Lindros.

Add that to breakaway speed, the trademark shot, he was a force for a long time. Malkin has to do some legendary stuff before being in his company. I don't know that many forwards have ever been as complete as Messier, in that he could do it all. The most complete doesn't have to be the best, but he ranks with them.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site

Damn that outdated pretty boy loser, lucky Neely was there to set the record straight. Yeah, if Guy was any kind of player he;d of won a bunch of rings like Cam did.

Silly poster.

Transported Upstater

Yes, because Guy LaFleur was at his best when he played for the Nords...

Guy LaFleur was one of the best players to ever play. So was Messier, but your massive pimping of two physically gifted Western guys and hatred of a finesse-based Quebecer isn't really fair.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It would be unfair for anyone to try to say that Malkin would exceed someone like Messier, who is one of the top 10 players of all-time, in offensive potential and physical dominance. I agree with the guy who said Messier played somewhat like Thornton does (except he's more of a leader, obviously)

No one is really trying to say Malkin DOESN'T possess all these attributes, but great players achieve great things, and rightn ow he hasnt achieved a thing. Let's see what he does in his first few seasons and then make some comparisons.

Ogopogo*

IMO, Messier is the 34th greatest player in NHL history. If Malkin comes anywhere close, he will have a tremendous career.

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes,he has all-star talent.But i've heard him described as everything from a "Lemieux with more speed" to a "more dominant physical and intimidating force" then Messier.I'm sure you've seen him play,not much of his game would suggest that i'm sure you'll agree.Maybe the craziness has taken on a fever pitch because of all the cloak and dagger stuff ,people tend to like that stuff all bent out of shape over it.It seems to be the case anyway when a young player like him get's put alongside some of the best players to ever play the game and he has'nt played a game yet in the nhl,which in all due respect to the Russian league,IS the best league in the world.

I just want him to prove he can be he's a superior player to guys like Messier and Lemieux.I can't give him that status until he at least plays and proves himself night in and night out against the best,no Russian league hype is going to do that for me.

Anyway you slice it the guy has a major task ahead of him to be anywhere near the quality of player guys like them were ,let alone being better then them. Finishing 2nd or 3rd in scoring while playing good defense in the RSL won't cut it for me.

But he can start proving it to me,he's here now.I'm just not going to hand anything to him until he does it.
He looks a lot like Lemieux on the ice so why can't we compare them? Sure enough he might not become as successful as Lemieux or Messier but their playing styles are comparable. I don't see anything wrong in comparing styles.

I'm not one of these 14 year olds saying he's the next Lemieux or he's the next Messier, I just think the way they look on the ice are comparable which I've seen like 2 of (not enough to make him overrated).

Most people consider the guy a superstar talent and that's what he is. He's just as talented as Crosby and Ovechkin.

Ooohh, he captained Team Russia at the WJC. Yep, that Russian team was filled with players who have been hailed as future captains. Yep. That sure is impressive. Maybe if he was on a team filled with great young leaders, I'd take notice. But if that Russian team had great leaders, they wouldn't have rolled over against Canada.

I've read a lot of great things about Malkin, and I think he has superstar potential. But I haven't read anything that describes him as a great leader. Now, leadership is often a difficult thing to gauge at age 20. But usually scouts get a good grasp of young players with great leadership abilities. Mike Richards, for example.

Mark my words: Malkin will not be the leader that Messier is. I can guarantee you that.
You can't guarantee me that as you really don't know anything about his leadership skills. That's my point. Until you know for sure that doesn't possess as good of a leadership potential as Messier had you can't guarantee me that. I know the odds for him being a leader at Messier's level are very high but the point was that no one knows yet.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
You can't guarantee me that as you really don't know anything about his leadership skills. That's my point. Until you know for sure that doesn't possess as good of a leadership potential as Messier had you can't guarantee me that. I know the odds for him being a leader at Messier's level are very high but the point was that no one knows yet.

The point is that you have to prove you DO HAVE leadership skills. Not prove that you don't have them. Having not played a single NHL game comparing his leadership to Messier's is far more misguided than to compare his physical skills to Messier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad