Am I not Prophetic?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I had posted prior to the season that Panarin would equal his number in points...72 ...and guess what...he us exactly at 36 at the half-way mark!

However
..I had thought there would be some in tial adjustment to the smaller rink and the NHL game and the culture change.
.I had expected an improving over the course of the whole season with a better 2nd half expected than the initial half.
IF THE improving adjustment assumption still holds we should see even better production from.him in the 2nd half..I think the goals pace gets better as he figures out NHL goalies.And as long as Kane keeps up his own production pace then Panarin should now break the goal pace and points pace he is on and exceed 30 goals and 50 assists. ..I had originally thought 20-22 goals and 52or 50 assists ..but now I think he could get more like 32 goals and 50+ assists...we shall see.

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
He's a young player. Don't ratchet expectations on him too high. Otherwise he'll score 60 points his rookie year and people will say he's garbage.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
You are prophetic. So was the Amazing Carnac.

the-tonight-show-starring-johnny-carson-carnac-the-magnificent.jpg

So whats the winning powerball numbers?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
If Panarin is a legitimate 70-80 point scorer, is there any realistic way to sign both him and TT when the time comes?

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
If Panarin is a legitimate 70-80 point scorer, is there any realistic way to sign both him and TT when the time comes?

If this keeps up, yeah Bread Man will make a lot of dough, but TT won't be nearly as steep at all. So yes we fit both. Bicks gone by then, and maybe Hossa in 2 years.

Does Marian Hossa play hockey while only getting paid 1M a year? That is what happens in 2 years.

I predict we win Cup NEXT year and Hossa retires before Rocky can pay him 1M a year on his 5M+ cap hit. Get ready for phrases like "what is the cap recapture penalty on Hossa?"

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
It's things like trying to figure out how to sign both Teravainen and Panarin that makes me think Bowman is a wizard for what he's been able to accomplish. Has he made some suspect decisions? Sure. But dude has kept the core together and got us Cups. That's gotta be the most stressful job behind President of the United States.

Every little decision you make will be scrutinized until the horse dies. And then scrutinized some more.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
It's things like trying to figure out how to sign both Teravainen and Panarin that makes me think Bowman is a wizard for what he's been able to accomplish. Has he made some suspect decisions? Sure. But dude has kept the core together and got us Cups. That's gotta be the most stressful job behind President of the United States.

Every little decision you make will be scrutinized until the horse dies. And then scrutinized some more.

They're RFAs. Signing them isn't going to be borderline impossible (famous last words). We're finally rid of Bicks (+$4M). Shaw will be replaced by a cheaper alternative in all likelihood (+~$1.2M). Hoss could retire. Kruger could be replaced by a cheaper alternative. The Loony could bounce back, which would be a huge boon for those clubs up against the ceiling.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
Isn't there a big recapture penalty if Hossa retires in the next year or two? I'd rather have him around than see 3 mil in dead cap space. One of you cap wizards can correct me.

As for space to sign both, its possible, but will get much more difficult if TT starts turning it on before his ELC is up.

That said, Bick's 4 million should be out the door soon, and last article I read said the cap could go up as much as 4 million next year. As long as we're wise with that money, we can do it. But if Panarin becomes a perennial PPG player, I'd expect him to see a contract close to 7M AAV.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Isn't there a big recapture penalty if Hossa retires in the next year or two?

Yes, it would be crippling if Hossa officially retired. If he's done playing, there's a good chance that he LTIRetires ala Chris Pronger. At this point Hossa's been so banged up throughout his career that all he would have to do is say that he doesn't feel comfortable on the ice and I don't think the NHL would be able to do anything about it.

Also Fiddy, you might want to be 100% sure you're actually correct before you start bragging about (finally) predicting something.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yes, it would be crippling if Hossa officially retired. If he's done playing, there's a good chance that he LTIRetires ala Chris Pronger. At this point Hossa's been so banged up throughout his career that all he would have to do is say that he doesn't feel comfortable on the ice and I don't think the NHL would be able to do anything about it.

Also Fiddy, you might want to be 100% sure you're actually correct before you start bragging about (finally) predicting something.

This is the big question I have. How close will the league monitor the situation. I mean with Pronger, there's no doubt that he had devastating concussion issues that forced him to retire. If Hossa basically decides, Ive won 3+ cups, am only getting a mil a year and wants to retire. And oh yeah, "My back hurts" (wink wink), will the league allow the Hawks to do that?

I'm sure other owners wouldn't want the Hawks to get cap relieve if Hossa is basically retiring. Then again, how do you disprove a guy is retiring because of injury?

abt424

Apr 4, 2012
Austin
I had posted prior to the season that Panarin would equal his number in points...72 ...and guess what...he us exactly at 36 at the half-way mark!

However
..I had thought there would be some in tial adjustment to the smaller rink and the NHL game and the culture change.
.I had expected an improving over the course of the whole season with a better 2nd half expected than the initial half.
IF THE improving adjustment assumption still holds we should see even better production from.him in the 2nd half..I think the goals pace gets better as he figures out NHL goalies.And as long as Kane keeps up his own production pace then Panarin should now break the goal pace and points pace he is on and exceed 30 goals and 50 assists. ..I had originally thought 20-22 goals and 52or 50 assists ..but now I think he could get more like 32 goals and 50+ assists...we shall see.

I'm just shocked you got through an entire post without ripping on Toews. Well done.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
If only there was a poster around here who had the Hawks winning the cup in 2015 the whole season, predicted the Timonen and Vermette trades and predicted Panarin to score 70 points this season.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
This is the big question I have. How close will the league monitor the situation. I mean with Pronger, there's no doubt that he had devastating concussion issues that forced him to retire. If Hossa basically decides, Ive won 3+ cups, am only getting a mil a year and wants to retire. And oh yeah, "My back hurts" (wink wink), will the league allow the Hawks to do that?

I'm sure other owners wouldn't want the Hawks to get cap relieve if Hossa is basically retiring. Then again, how do you disprove a guy is retiring because of injury?

In a vacuum, the league does nothing because the Hawks are a cash cow and the current face of the league. You raise a good point about the other 29 owners but then again, the Hawks also make them money via revenue sharing. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I think it's far more likely that Hossa unofficially retires in 2-3 years than playing out his entire deal. Or maybe he goes to Germany and gets his blood spun like Peyton Manning and comes back with a 70 point season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad