Am I in the minority? Two I don't think should be on Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Two guys that are usually locks for the team, and are speculated to make it... I personally wouldn't like it if they were selected.

Ed Jovanovski - If you want to look at stats alone, there are more deserving candidates out there. In 33 games he has 5 goals, and 17 assists for a total of 22 points. Just throwing it out there, that his +/- is a -6. He is someone that could punish you, as he is a pretty big guy. Has far too many mind farts.

Shane Doan - I must be honest. I haven't seen a slew of Coyotes games this season. But I have watched 10 or so. This guy is supposed to be their captain. He is invisible on the ice this season. Hasn't played up to expectations at all. Has 6 goals, and 16 assists for 22 points.

Who replaces them? That's another argument... But for what it's worth, there are two guys who are again, usually locks for Team Canada who I think shouldn't be there.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Scugs said:
Two guys that are usually locks for the team, and are speculated to make it... I personally wouldn't like it if they were selected.

Ed Jovanovski - If you want to look at stats alone, there are more deserving candidates out there. In 33 games he has 5 goals, and 17 assists for a total of 22 points. Just throwing it out there, that his +/- is a -6. He is someone that could punish you, as he is a pretty big guy. Has far too many mind farts.

Shane Doan - I must be honest. I haven't seen a slew of Coyotes games this season. But I have watched 10 or so. This guy is supposed to be their captain. He is invisible on the ice this season. Hasn't played up to expectations at all. Has 6 goals, and 16 assists for 22 points.

Who replaces them? That's another argument... But for what it's worth, there are two guys who are again, usually locks for Team Canada who I think shouldn't be there.
I'm with you.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
The problem is that you cant look at the players in an isolated context; you've got to consider who would make the team instead of them.

Doan? I personally think it's absurd that Doan is considered a lock while someone like Smyth is "on the bubble".

Jovo? He's had a pretty average season thus far, but who do you take over him? Hannan, Brewer, and Foote have all been playing worse thus far. I think if any of those guys were having stellar seasons, they would take his spot..but they aren't. And although Jovo may make the occasional gaffe, he's nowhere near as poor defensively as McCabe. Ultimately, Jovo has the international experience and steps it up during the big games, which is why he is - and should be - a lock for the team.

Feb 24, 2004
As a shane doan fantasy owner, I'm with you. But in terms of actual hockey, you cant take stats into consideration that much. You need the best TEAM. Doan and Jovocop are guys that are good for the team part, and if Gretzky thinks they should be on the team, I agree with Wayne that they should be.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Scugs said:

Yah I disagree, I believe both deserve to be on the team. Jovo is obviously one of the top dman in the league and Doan is a perfect player for the third line.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jovanovski isn't without his faults. But when he's on, there isn't a defenceman like him in the league. He's big and incredibly strong, hits like a ton, and is very mobile and can make pinpoint passes. He has a cannon of a shot. When he has played for Canada in the past, he has thrived. (2005 World Championships excluded).

Doan has been one of our best in international competitions. He was excellent in checking roles in the 2003 Worlds and the 2004 World Cup. He and Draper have great chemistry on the checking line. That's why he's going to be on Team Canada, and deservedly so.

Gretzky has said that those who have won before will have to play their way off the team. Jovanovski is probably our seventh defenceman right now, but he hasn't been THAT bad. Doan hasn't produced points, but he and Smyth will be excellent fourth line players.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, I guess you have to include certain roles and experience into the final equation.. Thanks for the good discussion, guys. :)

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I've never understood the Doan love. He was average for *years*, then had a breakout year. He has since regressed back to his average form. There are tons of guys who can be third liners.

Jovo? I could go either way. His highs are great, his lows absolutely *spectacular*, and not in a good way. I won't be shocked if he doesn't make it.

NCSENSFAN

Sep 2, 2005
I disagree on Jovo, Doan is a toss up.

I got two other names for you what about Richards and St. Louis. I do not think that they should be locks and I do not think that Marty should be there at all.

ZadorovNJD*

I'm not a Jovo fan but I would put him on the team. His skill set is superb, and he'll have great defensive help and Brodeur to bail him out on his many giveaways and poor defensive zone play.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
am i the only one that thinks that Rick Nash doesn't belong on the team as a regular, an extra sure, lets not forget that he's still apart of the young guns squad

joe_shannon_1983*

HemskyFreak83 said:
am i the only one that thinks that Rick Nash doesn't belong on the team as a regular, an extra sure, lets not forget that he's still apart of the young guns squad

Nope. I am with you there. I would not pick Nash if I was the one picking the team.

Heatley, Iginla, Gagne, Bertuzzi, St.Louis, Smyth, Doan, and Kariya should be the guys who play the wing on this team.

Unfortunately, Nash will end up making it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad