OT: Am I breaking my ASG vow?

goldengladiator

Oct 21, 2012
Need some advice from my fellow Atlanta posters who still love the Thrashers/Jets and vowed to never give another dime to the Atlanta Spirit Group or Phillips Arena. Yet, we find ourselves with one of a the biggest events EVER coming to Phillips Arena on September 19th in the Garth Brooks tour with tickets going on sale Friday. I have always waited for him to come back but i always thought he was going to play the Dome but sense the show is at Phillips, am I turning on my vow? :help:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Well I'm maybe not necessarily the best opinion because I may be a former Thrashers fan but obviously hold no grudge against the ASG as a German but I'd say: If it means something to you, go for it. It's not like you're directly supporting them, you're directly supporting the artist, IMO.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I'm certainly not from Atlanta, but if you made a vow to never support ASG or support Phillips arena while it was run by ASG. Clearly going to a concert at the Phillips arena would be breaking the vow.

With that said, not going to see one of your favourite artists cause of a vow like that would be silly. The show will sell out regardless so you're only hurting yourself.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Just make sure you bust up a bathroom stall and do more damage then your ticket was worth so ASG loses money on you being there :D

Kidding kidding

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I think the only person your vow would be harming at this point is yourself, so if it was me and I was a huge Garth Brooks fan, I would go.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
We will send you a bunch of Jet bumper stickers and you can go crazy in the arena :naughty::sarcasm:

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Look at it from another angle:

Will the concert be sold out whether or not you attend? If it will then ASG is no further ahead by dint of your ticket purchase. Take it a step further: IF the concert was a sellout in any event then you may be doing your part in sticking it to ASG by buying your ticket.

How?

Well, if someone other than you buys that ticket that hypothetical other person may well be buying drinks, popcorn, and all the extras that represent pure profit to ASG. If it's YOU taking up that seat, make sure you keep those dollars in your pocket. If you're there, ASG gets no revenue from your seat except the ticket price. Anyone else in that seat is lining ASG's pockets with popcorn sales.

Now if the concert isn't going to be a sellout then see if you can get a ticket on the secondary market. Stubhub, Kijiji, etc. Those tickets are already sold, ASG has the money, so you're not helping ASG. They got theirs, and not from you.

m.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Need some advice from my fellow Atlanta posters who still love the Thrashers/Jets and vowed to never give another dime to the Atlanta Spirit Group or Phillips Arena. Yet, we find ourselves with one of a the biggest events EVER coming to Phillips Arena on September 19th in the Garth Brooks tour with tickets going on sale Friday. I have always waited for him to come back but i always thought he was going to play the Dome but sense the show is at Phillips, am I turning on my vow? :help:

Consider a road trip. See Garth in another market... fun AND you don't have to support those idiots.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
When I got to work this morning I found out my office manager's mom passed away yesterday.

Life is short.

Go to the concert and enjoy yourself.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
TheDeuce brought up a great point with StubHub, this way you are not buying directly from ASG. Also not buying food and drink at the event helps your cause. Rep some Jets gear :yo:

If he is your favorite artist, I say go.

toddism

Oct 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I will never step foot in Philips again. I don't care if the Hawks went undefeated and my favorite band invited me over for a sleepover with the groupies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If I was you I'd drive to Nashville. What better place to see Garth Brooks? Besides, Nashville is one of my favorite places and I'm not even a country music fan.

Fun roadtrip, great atmosphere, no ASG.

Done.

seasontixholder*

I still find it a travesty that the Atlanta fans lost the Thrashers, yet in the desert they still have their team. Arizona does not deserve NHL hockey. And don't give me that "they lost their team twice crap"

copernicanrevolution

Apr 30, 2009
Atlanta
I hate the ASG. Hate. I still wear my Thrashers gear and commiserate with other fans all the time.

However, my nephew loves basketball. Loves it the same way I grew up loving hockey. If he asked me to take him to a NBA game, I would.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I have a couple embargoes like that in my life. One against Red Robin Restaurant chain. Twice, women I had met through online chat groups aborted plans for our first date when they recommended it and I explained why that wasn't an option. No matter. If I was single and I had a potential date suggest it tomorrow, I'd make it three.

Of course, I'm a bitter, agitable, cantankerous human being, so your mileage may vary. And I admit that at the end of the day, so.. extravagant an embargo is ultimately for my own benefit. The original owners of that restaurant were long since gone, I'm sure, and from what I hear the chain is still doing just fine.

So at the end of the day, ask yourself what means more to you, and go with it. No one will call you a "quitter" or a "liar" if you decide to go.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Make a 10 hour drive to Illinois. Garth Brooks & Trisha Yearwood. September 4-14 they play 10 consecutive dates in Rosemont & while there hit the Blackhawks training camp!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If I was you I'd drive to Nashville. What better place to see Garth Brooks? Besides, Nashville is one of my favorite places and I'm not even a country music fan.

Done.

This is probably the way to do it.....make a great road trip out of it.

goldengladiator

Oct 21, 2012

Done.

Did that when Jets played there in March. Great time!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That building and it's fans are friggin amazing.

I'd live in Nashville in a second. Great town.

Me too: I'm not a country music dood, but I love the bars, city, arena, people (for the most part, same as every city), history, and countryside. Some of my favourite roads are also a short drive from there as well: Deals Gap / Tail of the Dragon. 318 curves in 11 miles. Fun fun!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad