Altitude "exploring" a partnership with Amazon

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
I'm just as frustrated with the whole TV situation regarding Altitude Sports as much as you guys are. Not only for the sake of the Avalanche, but also the sake of the Nuggets and Rapids.
So today, I was scrolling through news articles regarding this topic, and found one article posted today (September 27, 2019) on Cord Cutter News that Altitude Sports is "exploring" a partnership with Amazon.

What do you all think of this? Do you think this deal should be reached before, or just barely after, the season opener? Would you support this proposed service, is it a viable option for you?

Altitude Sports is "Exploring" a Partnership With Amazon After Comcast, DIRECTV, & Dish Dropped The Channel - Cord Cutters News

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
The Denver Post article they are referencing is almost three weeks old. They say they haven't had conversations with Amazon in that article. They are having conversations with the media about it before Amazon... sounds more like a negotiating ploy. I think it'd be a great option for fans but who the hell cares what we think?

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
So a streaming service through Amazon prime video?

I just found out I could stream NFL games through Amazon and it's been a game changer. This would be super exciting as an Avs fan.

Reactions: klozge

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I don't see this as any more than a negotiating stunt. "Exploring" a streaming service with Amazon is a buck short and a day late. Even if true, this isn't something that would be just around the corner. Next season at the very earliest.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
They'd better figure something out fast.

They have the Nuggets, Avalanche, Mammoth, Rapids, Outlaws, and DU Pioneers. I watch all those teams except the Rapids.

Without those teams the only reason to hold onto cable is ATT Sportsnet Rocky MTN, for the Rockies.

member 149439

Altitude needs to realize they are 3rd to 4th tier tv network with 8th to 9th tier talent. So sign a GD deal and let fans watch the best team they have had the chance to see in about a decade compete or risk losing even more fans who don’t actually know what’s happening. It went from a summer of being awesome being and AVS fan to a year of it sucks to be a true AVS fan that cant even watch their team compete without their second best player. Love kroenke and his Walmart funded hosreshiet!!!

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Yep. I don't think it seems very likely.

I'm incredibly frustrated with my satellite provider. I've already cut back my package, and I'm cutting more now. Why should I continue to pay for a sports package when they wont carry the channels I'm interested in, and now even block out the Avs away games on the NHL channel and other regional networks. But this isn't just about the TV providers.

Altitude/KSE are trying to play PR, but if you listen to the way they talk about it they don't actually expect the Amazon thing to really work. One of the VPs already admitted they dont see a scenario where going full streaming brings them enough money. So it seems more likely they eventually accept a rate haircut from the satellite/cable distributers than go without them. Or they are feeling really crazy enough to go a good portion of the early season without the majority of their regular viewership.

I think they are attempting to see if they sell a few extra tickets and seem like they are just the victim here, but if they really wanted anybody to be able to watch their games, ultimately the NHL and Kroenke decide who has the right to broadcast, black-out, or "block" their games.

The big 3 TV distributors are all making a colluded stand to not pay what Kroenke and Altitude want them to pay. I've tried to talk to my provider, but they seem to be stupid enough to lose some viewers in order to temporarily please some others.

So the KSE brass have decided they are gonna act like they are being blocked, when they theoretically could just sell the rights to someone else. But of course nobody else is offering a better deal. And the number of folks willing to pay directly for the service isn't enough to compete either. The richest part is how they say their cost to carry the games is rising, but in the Avs/Nuggets case that's just coming from the other half of the same organization. If anyone ought to be able to get more affordable broadcast rights, its Altitude.

But I think all parties involved are risking speeding their own demise. It is a lot easier to keep a customer than to get them back once they've found a new outlet for their time and money.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
We've been talking about cutting the cord anyway. If Comcast drops Altitude, it'll be the final straw for us.

If? They haven't had altitude for going on a month now. I don't see it coming back anytime soon. The parties are way further apart than Luit and Sakic.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The richest part is how they say their cost to carry the games is rising, but in the Avs/Nuggets case that's just coming from the other half of the same organization.
The rights cost is only part of the total. Employees expect raises each year to keep up with inflation, equipment needs repair/replacement/upgrades. Consumables cost more each year. Rents go up (even just counting the non-Pepsi center offices and studios). Travel costs rise with inflation. The cost to produce the content is not just about how much the pay their sister orgs for the broadcast rights.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
It's true that their costs are rising. That's not a lie. But it's also not the whole story. They weren't exactly tightening the belt. They've expanded their broadcasting have been spending more and more willingly.

They could definitely do more to cut costs... I honestly don't think they expected to need to.

Austerity is here now though.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
conventional tv is dead folks , tsn up here in Canada is dumping high priced talent left and right , net based streaming is where its headed . They black out the Leafs where I live even on the Center Ice package so I haven't watched a game on tv in 2 years , search reddit you will find plenty of hd alternatives .

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Maybe a good day to finally get rid of McNab. Moser is much better without him, watching the Avs would be muuuuuuuuuuuch better without him and it would save a few bucks.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
McNab is better at his job than Moser is at his though.

Moser on TV sucks...of course he also wasn't good on radio either.

Reactions: Barklez

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Well, tastes differ. And Moser on TV does suck. Unfortunately, McGahey starts to suck as well with his scripted calls. So maybe it would be the best for us if Altitude gets fully replaced.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I'm not a big fan of Moser. McNab is absolutely necessary to keep his ignorance in check as he simply doesn't understand what he's looking at 70% of the time.

Reactions: Barklez

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I'm not a big fan of Moser. McNab is absolutely necessary to keep his ignorance in check as he simply doesn't understand what he's looking at 70% of the time.
I agree, somebody needs to do that but why can't it be someone who adds something to the broadcast instead of McNab?

In the end pretty much everybody at Altitude sucks, though. Especially the guy who's responsible for the music. Just not a good channel.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I agree, somebody needs to do that but why can't it be someone who adds something to the broadcast instead of McNab?

In the end pretty much everybody at Altitude sucks, though. Especially the guy who's responsible for the music. Just not a good channel.

I've enjoyed the Laurens... as creepy as I am for that.

I like Keefe and Ryker as well, I think they are mostly fun, if a bit overly silly.

But on the whole I don't disagree with you. I don't really remember what the broadcasts were like before Altitude so maybe I just don't have a good basis for comparison, but it's not like I've been super impressed by national broadcasts.

Meh. Altitude is fine at what it does.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
There's no way Kroenke lets Altitude die. It may take a bit but it'll get back on the cable services eventually.

I think the only way Kroenke lets go of his TV/radio stations is if he sells everything straight up. Avs, Nuggets, Rapids, Mammoth, Pepsi Center, Dick's, Altitude TV, Altitude Radio, Altitude Tickets all or nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad