OT: Alternatives to Rogers

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
First, my apologies to the Mods in advance if I am not supposed to post something like this on this board.
It does have a Sens perspective to it.

We are currently with Rogers and have the Sports Package and over time, we have added all the streaming sites (Netflix, Crave, Disney, Prime, etc.). Our monthly Rogers bill has become crazy and we need to find an alternative to bring the costs down.

That said, we were still hoping to get NHL (specifically Senators games) + some NFL + Blue Jays + Raptors and still keep the streaming sites (does not have to be all of them); maybe just Netflix & Disney. We also have our Internet and 2 Phones with Rogers. We live in a rural area (Osgoode) of the City. Half the town just got set-up for Bell Fibe and we are not part of that half. Not sure when we are going to be getting it.

It seems that are lots of options out there for packaged services and lots of ways to go about it.
I am not the most technical person in the world, so I am hoping there is an easy way to get what I am looking for and knocking the monthly bill down.

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
First, my apologies to the Mods in advance if I am not supposed to post something like this on this board.

We are currently with Rogers and have the Sports Package and over time, we have added all the streaming sites (Netflix, Crave, Disney, Prime, etc.). Our monthly Rogers bill has become crazy and we need to find an alternative to bring the costs down.

That said, we were still hoping to get NHL (specifically Senators games) + some NFL + Blue Jays + Raptors and still keep the streaming sites (does not have to be all of them); maybe just Netflix & Disney. We also have our Internet and 2 Phones with Rogers. We live in a rural area (Osgoode) of the City. Half the town just got set-up for Bell Fibe and we are not part of that half. Not sure when we are going to be getting it.

It seems that are lots of options out there for packaged services and lots of ways to go about it.
I am not the most technical person in the world, so I am hoping there is an easy way to get what I am looking for and knocking the monthly bill down.

Thank you.
One option if you're just trying to bring cost down is call up Rogers and ask them for a deal, make sure to have a couple alternative options like switching phones to freedom or public mobile, switching internet to oxio, or distributel, and switching cable to an IPTV like rivertv.

Rogers always has promos for new customers, but existing customers will pay full price until they threaten to leave.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Thank you.
Bell and Rogers have been taking advantage of us for too long. There are free streams everywhere for everything.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Thank you.

Just switched over from Rogers to bell because they offered crazy bundles. I forget what we pay for home internet specifically, but the basic cable was $25 a month. Sports package was also $25. So we pay $50 for the cable with sports package and crave.

Then we have our phones at $55 a month for 120gb high speed data then unlimited at reduced speed.

But it's basically $200 a month for unlimited fibre optic internet and cable with sports package and 2 phones with unlimited data.

With Rogers I was paying $85 a month for 15gigs high speed...and that was recieved from retention a couple years ago.

So for almost the price of 2 Rogers phone plans, we get 2 better bell phone plans, internet and cable and stuff. Great deal.

Rogers came to our door saying they could beat it but when I called them back they couldn't come close. This was right as I was cancelling and leaving for bell, they didn't offer me anything close. They would rather lose me to bell than match bell. Was with Rogers my whole life.

Bell and Rogers have been taking advantage of us for too long. There are free streams everywhere for everything.

This doesn't work for people with busy lives who may need to record the game and watch it when they get home or the next day.

I did that for a bit but was missing half the games. Now I just turn notifications off and have the sports spoiler feature on my phone so I have no problem watching the game 3-6-12-24 hours later as if it was live.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Just switched over from Rogers to bell because they offered crazy bundles. I forget what we pay for home internet specifically, but the basic cable was $25 a month. Sports package was also $25. So we pay $50 for the cable with sports package and crave.

Then we have our phones at $55 a month for 120gb high speed data then unlimited at reduced speed.

But it's basically $200 a month for unlimited fibre optic internet and cable with sports package and 2 phones with unlimited data.

With Rogers I was paying $85 a month for 15gigs high speed...and that was recieved from retention a couple years ago.

So for almost the price of 2 Rogers phone plans, we get 2 better bell phone plans, internet and cable and stuff. Great deal.

Rogers came to our door saying they could beat it but when I called them back they couldn't come close. This was right as I was cancelling and leaving for bell, they didn't offer me anything close. They would rather lose me to bell than match bell. Was with Rogers my whole life.

This doesn't work for people with busy lives who may need to record the game and watch it when they get home or the next day.

I did that for a bit but was missing half the games. Now I just turn notifications off and have the sports spoiler feature on my phone so I have no problem watching the game 3-6-12-24 hours later as if it was live.
Did you switch over to Bell Fibe?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Busy lives or not if you want to watch a sporting event it is out there for free. If I don't have the time to watch it then it doesn't bother me one bit.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Busy lives or not if you want to watch a sporting event it is out there for free. If I don't have the time to watch it then it doesn't bother me one bit.
I mean, by this logic if you want a loaf of bread, just walk into the store and grab it, its available for free, you don't need to pay for goods and services so long as you don't get caught.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I mean, by this logic if you want a loaf of bread, just walk into the store and grab it, its available for free, you don't need to pay for goods and services so long as you don't get caught.

Physical goods are not the same as virtual goods. You're not depriving someone else of a sporting event broadcast if you watch a free stream.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Physical goods are not the same as virtual goods. You're not depriving someone else of a sporting event broadcast if you watch a free stream.
Sure, you can tell yourself that if it makes you feel better.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Did you switch over to Bell Fibe?
Yes.

So what do you do if it's your mom's bday and she invites you for dinner but your team has a playoff game?

I would keep my phone on DND. Go to my mom's place and enjoy my time with her, then get back home and get my beers ready and my weed and start the game from scratch and FF through all the commercials. There's no better option.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Maybe these companies should stop being absurdly greedy. Make all streaming services and sports and ppv more affordable. It shouldn't cost people 20$+ for every single streaming service then having to pay for packages inside the streaming service and needing 50 different streaming services to watch all the things you like.

It most certainly should not cost 100s of dollars to watch sports at your home. I pay for the sports package every year but your average person can't afford 200 dollars to watch sports on top of their internet and cable bills on top of Netflix/crave/prime/hulu/Oprah/spotify/apple music/twitch/YouTubepremium/onlyfans

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
So what do you do if it's your mom's bday and she invites you for dinner but your team has a playoff game?
You should be ashamed of yourself for not inviting her to dinner for her Birthday. lol

Their are more important things and missing a game isn't on that list.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe these companies should stop being absurdly greedy. Make all streaming services and sports and ppv more affordable. It shouldn't cost people 20$+ for every single streaming service then having to pay for packages inside the streaming service and needing 50 different streaming services to watch all the things you like.

It most certainly should not cost 100s of dollars to watch sports at your home. I pay for the sports package every year but your average person can't afford 200 dollars to watch sports on top of their internet and cable bills on top of Netflix/crave/prime/hulu/Oprah/spotify/apple music/twitch/YouTubepremium/onlyfans
I don't disagree with anything you're saying. I just think it's important to be honest with oneself regarding the choices we make.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I pay for the internet. If there is something to watch on it I do so.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. I just think it's important to be honest with oneself regarding the choices we make.
Who's not being honest?

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Fair enough. I will make it clear when I am away and I stream stuff on the internet I am A ok with my choice. If prices were reasonable across the board I am sure a lot of people would just pay it and do away with pirate streams.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I went iptv route this year for the first time and I'll never go back.
I mean reasonably priced for everything all in one. Which one do you subscribe to? I was thinking about setting one up on a chrome cast or fire stick.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Or in the case of Sportsnet Now and TSN Go, maybe if their services didn't suck shit half the time, then I could actually rely on them. Pretty sad when the illegal ways are more reliable.
Yeah, some companies really don't do themselves any favours. When the illegal service is also a better and more reliable product it's hard to blame anyone for opting to go that route

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad