Alternative Ways to Watch The Rangers

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
My triple play package with Optimum is expiring in a couple of months. Once that expires, my monthly optimum bill (based on the services I have) will be close to $180.

The only reason I have Optimum is because I watch the Rangers. I watch all other TV on Netflix/Hulu.

I also register for NHL Center Ice/NHL app to watch other teams. However, I noticed that games in your area are blacked out on and are not available on the app for viewing until two days later. If I drop Optimum, I would not be able to watch the Rangers on my paid NHL app until two days later?

I was looking into other triple play packages, but in the area I'm in (Nassau County, on the border of Queens) all I can get in my apartment building is Optimum. Verizon Fios is not available. I don't think that I can get Direct TV.

Getting rid of Optimum would not be an option if I can't see the Rangers through any other alternative means. I just hate spending that much money on a service that I don't use outside of watching hockey or the occasional Yankees/Knicks game.

Anyone who has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Please remember that only legal alternative means can be suggested or discussed. Thanks.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Im just wondering, is the NHL app actually black them out? Are there any other paid avenues to take?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
NHL app will black them out and will also black them out if they happen to be on NHL Network. You'll also find that Devils and Islanders games will also likely be blacked out. I don't think you have much of a "legal" choice.

I'm in Florida, so while we're on this subject - is there a legal means to watch the playoffs without having a TV subscription?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Fatalldogg, I'm sort of in the same boat. Would love to try and cut the cord since I don't watch much TV these days. Currently have a double play with FiOS. I've done some research, and sadly have not been able to find a way to get Rangers broadcasts without subscribing to cable. Wish there was another option, but I'm not aware of one, even for a fee.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
If you have any friends or family that would be willing, you should get a slingbox, hava, or any other similar product. You hook it up to a cable box and internet feed, and you can control the box and stream it to your computer. So, if anyone has a cable box in a guest bedroom, or room that they don't use, you could use it to stream the games. Hell, most providers charge $10 for each additional box, so you could even pay someone $10 a month for you to use their box.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If you have any friends or family that would be willing, you should get a slingbox, hava, or any other similar product. You hook it up to a cable box and internet feed, and you can control the box and stream it to your computer. So, if anyone has a cable box in a guest bedroom, or room that they don't use, you could use it to stream the games. Hell, most providers charge $10 for each additional box, so you could even pay someone $10 a month for you to use their box.

I thought about that a while back. But last I checked the video quality wasn't that great through slingbox. Has it improved?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
If they don't make some good moves, watching them with a paper bag over your head is a great option. Plus it's a legal alternative.

I tend to go with the horror movie "hands clasped over eyes, peering through fingers" option. It's cheaper.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Is discussion of VPNs allowed? Because if the NHL app thinks you're in Europe or another state, you're good to go.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Im just wondering, is the NHL app actually black them out? Are there any other paid avenues to take?

There are some loopholes with NHL Gamecenter. I have it to watch the Rangers as I am out of market, but my brother is still on LI. I gave him my log-in and he was able to watch the rangers when he was at work even though he was in the NY market.

Theyll probably find a to fix that eventually.

Though I'm not too familiar with how they work, you might want to use a VPN to disguise your IP address. Maybe someone on here who is more tech savvy than I can help you.

(FYI its not illegal)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Is discussion of VPNs allowed? Because if the NHL app thinks you're in Europe or another state, you're good to go.

There's nothing illegal about using a VPN, but I know the NFL blocks them as they pop up, and there's nothing you can do about it. In certain countries, you can get NFL gamepass for free. I think the reason being, that they're trying to grow football overseas, so they basically give away the streaming version of Sunday Ticket for free. But, once they start noticing a bunch of traffic from the same IP, they block it. I'm not sure if the NHL does anything similar.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I believe NHL.tv will terminate your account if they find you using a VPN.

At least that was what I had heard

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Please remember that only legal alternative means can be suggested or discussed. Thanks.

In that case, the OP needs to:

1. Move to a state outside of what is considered the Rangers local market

2. Purchase the Triple Play or other package name marketing derivative of 3 services at an equally absurd price as the bundle from Optimum

3. Watch Al Trautwig in a state of the art Hi Def [sorta] MSG broadcast in your new residence

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

I thought about that a while back. But last I checked the video quality wasn't that great through slingbox. Has it improved?

I use a slingbox through a family member cable. It's fine as long as you have a decent internet connection. The quality will depend on the feed. Regardless of the quality it's certainly worth the one time cost of a sligbox. And instead of the $10/month you can give them access to your netflix/hulu accounts or pay for the cable box that has to remain unused.

By the way you can use a slingbox as a DVR if you miss a game (or watch rangers in 60). As a bonus you can watch anything that comes along with it and take it with you. A big negative is you have to pay for each mobile app - separately.

MillerTime79

Jun 28, 2007
Just want to pitch in my 2 cents about Slingbox. I'm a huge fan - have one hooked up to a cable box that my parents never use, and now I have full access to their Fios subscription, including on-demand, DVR, etc (I really only use it for the Rangers and UFC fights though). As for the OP's concern about quality, I've never had an issue. The stream always comes through crystal clear HD, and I really am a tough critic when it comes to my viewing quality. I downloaded the mobile app for $14.99, kind of annoying but it works great and is awesome to have. I've been on the go many times and have been able to stream my Rangers with no problem. It's also crucial to have in order to stream games to my TV, which is key for me. I have a Roku (which you can download the SlingPlayer app for), but in order for this to work, you need to cast the feed from your smartphone (with the slingplayer app) to the Roku. Sounds a little complicated but is really super easy, and the quality is top notch. As long as you have high speed internet (I have 50/50 with fios), and the place where you are connecting the box has decent internet as well, you should be fine.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Not helpful for OP but other posters may appreciate, I would recommend purchasing a Slingbox. Can set/watch your TV from wherever. Helps when I'm running late and missing NYR, and is an absolute godsend for watching Euro footy.

Edit: embarrassingly disregarded the prior 11 posts :laugh:

SavedByLundqvist

Apr 30, 2013
Jersey Represent!
Every time my triple play has come to an end (i.e. yearly), I call up and say I want to cancel the phone service. Almost every time, they just re-up me at the triple play introductory rate. I assume they have some quota they need to keep. It at least saves $40 a month.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
I also use Slingbox.....as long as you have a steady internet connection it's crystal clear HD.

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
As others have stated here typically when you try to cancel cable, they throw offers at you to stay. It's not going to let you cut the cord but there aren't many legal options available.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
So with slingbox does the cable box its hooked up to have to be on the same channel as the other boxes in the house? Or if your using one in a spare bedroom it wont affect people watching a different box in the living room? Does that make sense? LOL

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
So with slingbox does the cable box its hooked up to have to be on the same channel as the other boxes in the house? Or if your using one in a spare bedroom it wont affect people watching a different box in the living room? Does that make sense? LOL

Slingbox has no effect on any box other than the one it's hooked up to. So, if someone wanted to use the box that the slingbox is hooked up to while you're using it, you could change the channel on each other. Otherwise, you're fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad