0 points for a loss of any kind
Get rid of the shoot out
Done

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
234 of the 1097 games, as there are 163 games remaining, have gone into extra time.

So, call it 21% of games go to extra time. Prorated over the full 1260 total games played that would be 268. Is going to straight W/L really going to drop that by 1/3 or something to get us to like 180 games?

I'm sure MLB tracks it too, but many Extra Inning games do they have nowadays? As they put that new rule with runner on 2nd and 1 out to try to end games sooner and not have teams exhaust their bullpen for 1 game. I doubt it's anywhere close to 20% that the NHL has for extra time.
It's tough to predict. But I personally think that that the number will decline. By how much is anyone's guess.
But it can definitely be argued that there are more overtime games because the loser point is being awarded.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's tough to predict. But I personally think that that the number will decline. By how much is anyone's guess.
But it can definitely be argued that there are more overtime games because the loser point is being awarded.
I’m sure teams at the end of regulation are looking at it like let’s put one in the bank.

But really hard to figure how much more aggressive teams would get in the final 5 minutes of regulation.

Just saying that with 21% of games going to extra time that’s a lot.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
When and the situation that the team loses the game should not have any consideration , IMO.
Also note that teams don't get partial wins for losing on overtime in the playoffs.
So you think if, after going for long enough, they decide to shoot pucks from center ice and the first team that hits the crossbar wins and it doesn't matter, a win is a win and a loss is a loss?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
So you think if, after going for long enough, they decide to shoot pucks from center ice and the first team that hits the crossbar wins and it doesn't matter, a win is a win and a loss is a loss?
that's a pretty ridiculous take . It's nothing more than hyperbole.

IMO, every sporting event should have a win or a loss and their shouldn't be any portion of a win awarded because the losing team lost in overtime.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022

IMO, every sporting event should have a win or a loss and their shouldn't be any portion of a win awarded because the losing team lost in overtime.
It's not that much different than deciding a win by shootout.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

No team gets a point for losing in OT. It has never happened. Not once.

Both teams get one point when the real 5-on-5 game ends in a draw, like they have for a century of NHL hockey. Ties weren't 'loser point', neither is the point for a regulation draw.

OT/SO is not real 5-on-5 hockey. It's an entirely different game with 40% of skaters removed. It's a fun gimmick, nothing more, which is why it magically disappears in the playoffs. It's a contrived way to add an extra point for a gimmick win.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
I know this isn't necessarily the main point of your post, and ill also say I'm a HUGE Boston hater before defending them but....

In my opinion - change the point system anyway you want, and top teams will remain top teams. I say this because it was striking to see Boston down to 79 points in your model. Had your point system been in effect this year - I'm extremely confident Boston would be much higher than 79 points because they'd simply have adjusted accordingly.

As to the idea of a point system change - id be for it. I've actually suggested something very similar to you often before which would be:

3 points for regulation win
2 points for OT win
1 point for SO win
0 points for loss

That way you get 0 points for any kind of loss, and you also get the most points for the earlier you win. So no more sitting on a tie/being complacent, teams would "go for it" more when tied late in games.
I prefer the current system. It rewards teams for being competitive. With your system, a team losing 7-0 is the same as a team losing 2-1 in shootout. The current system entices teams to stay competitive throughout the game.

Just make it easy…
2 points for a win in regulation
1 point for a win in OT
0 points for a loss of any kind
Get rid of the shoot out
Done

How is it better than the current system?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What's so unfair about losing a SO being the same as losing an actual hockey game? If you don't feel that is unfair, no explanation I can give is going to change your mind.

It's a regular season game. You have 82 chances. Be better or deal with not having been better. Most proposed systems have very little effect on the outcome.

Is it my preferred method? Not really but at the end of the day, everyone has the same opportunity.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
3-2-1 Best system out there. Would transform the last few minutes of a game with a team potentially able to grain 3 points on their rival.

I would like to see the 3-2-1-0 system that's used in Hockey East. Perhaps the AHL can use it for a season as an experiment, just a thought. The standings themselves may not be wildly different, but as you stated it might up the ante in regulation crunch time.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The NHL already ranks regulation wins over OT wins and both over SO wins. So they should formalize that into the point system:

5 points for a regulation win
4 points for an OT win
3 points for a SO win
2 points for a SO loss
1 point for an OT loss
0 points for a regulation loss

I know this will never happen, but it would represent a point system that reflects how each win/loss are valued by the league.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
The NHL already ranks regulation wins over OT wins and both over SO wins. So they should formalize that into the point system:

5 points for a regulation win
4 points for an OT win
3 points for a SO win
2 points for a SO loss
1 point for an OT loss
0 points for a regulation loss

I know this will never happen, but it would represent a point system that reflects how each win/loss are valued by the league.
As already noted, I really don't think changing the points system will change anything other the the number of points awarded, the good teams will still be the good teams, etc.

Interestingly enough (and I know games might not play out the same way if the point system in place was different)....if you take the above new points system and apply to the current standings, you would have no change to the teams currently in playoff positions.....no team makes it or misses it because of this change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad