News Article: Alternative NHL team names (the names that almost made it)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
An interesting article with the runnerups to the names that NHL teams finally decided on

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2013/09/rubber-puckies-alternative-nhl-team.html

Guess which NHL franchise actually considered the nickname Rubber Puckies. Find out below in these fun and fast factoids about NHL team nicknames.

•Alternative nicknames for the Colorado Avalanche were reportedly the Black Bears, Outlaws, Storm, Wranglers, Renegades, Rapids and Cougars.

•Minnesota considered White Bears, Blue Ox, Northern Lights, Voyageurs and Freeze before settling on the Wild.

•Had Columbus not settled on Blue Jackets, they would have picked the name Justice.

•Nashville considered Ice Tigers, Fury and Attack. Wise choice to have taken Predators.

•I love the nickname New Jersey Devils, which refers a mythical creature said to live in the woods and swamps of Jersey. It is far better than the other nickname finalists: Americans, Blades, Coastals, Colonials, Gulls, Jaguars, Meadowlanders and Meadowlarks.

•Most people expected the New York Islanders to adopt the legendary minor league team's name, the Long Island Ducks. Instead they chose Islanders, which had been a runner up for the New York Mets expansion franchise in baseball 11 years earlier.
•The Phoenix Coyotes were almost named the Scorpions.

•A name-the-team contest saw the fans choose the San Jose Blades. Team ownership was worried about the nickname Blades due to gang violence and they vetoed the vote and chose Sharks. Other runner-ups include Screaming Squids, Salty Dogs, Fog, Icebreakers, Red Woods and Rubber Puckies. Yes. Rubber Puckies.

Rubber Puckies? That person should be fired...probably the same person who thought up Screaming Squids...

Captain Mittens*

Rubber pucky, you're the one
You make bath time lots of fun

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Kansas City Scouts were to be called the Mohawks (Mo for Missouri and hawk for Jayhawker). Chicago said they could not use that name because it being shorted to "Hawks"

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
As someone who has visited Columbus on a few different occasions I can assure you Justice is not something high on the list in that city.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
•Nashville considered Ice Tigers, Fury and Attack. Wise choice to have taken Predators.

This would've actually been pretty great considering the story of the sabre tooth tiger fossils discovered in a cave when digging the hole for the arena. The logo is even a sabre tooth tiger as an homage to the fossils.

Why don't the Lightning just change their name to "Bolts" since they use it anyway? I hate singular names

Tampa Bay has the most lightning storm activity in the U.S. (or something close to that,) thus the use of the Lightning over Bolts, or Thunder or whatever else. It's a pretty great name. In fact almost all of the NHL team names are pretty great. At least nothing as widely flagrant as the Lakers, or ultra lame White and Red Sox.

Last edited:

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
lot of those aren't bad. I kinda like colorado black bears and phoenix scorpions. san jose blades woulda been cheesy. but then again, i've alwyas been partial towards animal names. never understood names based on the environment (avalanche, islanders, lakers, etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad