alternative look at bruins 'drafting'/development record

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
How did wheeler and krug get drafted?
i thought they were ufas.
arizona originally had wheeler?

They were both college ufa. My study includes any player either drafted by us or played their first game for us. Basically i wanted to measure the teams ability to find and develop amateur talent with its scouting philosophy

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Yeah I think you see nothing outside of Hamilton Pastrnak and Seguin as "hits" from this management crew at the draft.

Also, Hamilton and Seguin were no brainers while Pastrnak was by far the best option at 25. A monkey could have made those picks.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
To those that think Chiarelli had his fingerprints all over the great 2006 draft, here's the deal: Any bobo would've picked Kessel at #5. Lucic was all Gorton and Bradley. Mostly Bradley. He had cancer in his knee and wasn't able to go around the globe like he usually did. He stayed at home and watched almost all of Lucic's games and fell in love with him. In fact, he pushed to get him at #37, but Gorton felt Lucic would be there at #50, and he was right. Daniel Dore was heavily involved with the Marchand pick, as he had a lot of experience covering the QMJHL, and a lot of contacts in that league.

So, Chiarelli had little or nothing to do with that draft. And here's a question for the Chiarelli fanatics: if he was heavily involved in those selections and he had his prints all over it, how come his drafts haven't been anything special since? One would think that he'd have had at least one draft since that resulted in multiple key players, right? Right?

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
To those that think Chiarelli had his fingerprints all over the great 2006 draft, here's the deal: Any bobo would've picked Kessel at #5. Lucic was all Gorton and Bradley. Mostly Bradley. He had cancer in his knee and wasn't able to go around the globe like he usually did. He stayed at home and watched almost all of Lucic's games and fell in love with him. In fact, he pushed to get him at #37, but Gorton felt Lucic would be there at #50, and he was right. Daniel Dore was heavily involved with the Marchand pick, as he had a lot of experience covering the QMJHL, and a lot of contacts in that league.

So, Chiarelli had little or nothing to do with that draft. And here's a question for the Chiarelli fanatics: if he was heavily involved in those selections and he had his prints all over it, how come his drafts haven't been anything special since? One would think that he'd have had at least one draft since that resulted in multiple key players, right? Right?

Good info.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I thought that it was widely acknowledged & understood that the Bruins are no better than mediocre in this regard. I haven't read a single shred of evidence that has made me feel the need to dispute HN or HF on this subject. To summarize; it is a general opinion, that the Bruins have not drafted well.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Also, Hamilton and Seguin were no brainers while Pastrnak was by far the best option at 25. A monkey could have made those picks.

Or maybe monkeys let seguin fall to second... hamilton further... pastrnak almost out of the top round?

I know pavel datsyuk and niklas lidstrom were obviously the best players left in their draft but somehow detroit is given credit for passing over them again and again before finally taking a 'gamble' on them...

Seriously you help me make my point with this bizzare critism

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Ive heard one gm after another talk about drafting. Basically most gms call out the first pick because its a photo oportunity. The draft list itself is more the work of the scouts.

Now in some organisations an owner or gm or president might interfere in the drafting much like what happened here in edmonton when upper management went against scouting to pass on murray for yakupov.

But in general gm's have little to do with scouting amateur hockey and most gm's let the scouting department manage the draft.

Again i never used chiarellis name once here... this is a thread about the organization/not the man

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I thought that it was widely acknowledge & understood that the Bruins are no better than mediocre in this regard. I haven't read a single shred of evidence that has made me feel the need to dispute HN or HF on this subject. To summarize; it is a general opinion, that the Bruins have not drafted well.

And also the general knowlege jacobs is cheap despite us paying over the cap last year. Damn reality lets blindly cling to an opinion that makes us 'happy' instead

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
And also the general knowlege jacobs is cheap despite us paying over the cap last year. Damn reality lets blindly cling to an opinion that makes us 'happy' instead

Reality MDK is acknowledging not just the positive, but also the negative facets of something that you are passionate about. Using a 'realistic' measurement system is always a good start

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

Always wondered if Sinden was more of the grinder than JJ..

All those years if they would have spent to the top 5 levels they could have, imagine what they could have done?

And when they do step out, they step into it like Lapointe or Stevens.

Was it JJ wanting a business model, or Harry with his 1970's team canada clout wanting to grind players to his will.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I've asked this same question multiple times, and you never get an honest answer. Instead you get misdirection and attempts to deflect the sub par picks. You also get rhetoric about how they changed the scouting staff, etc, all while never acknowledging that PC is the guy who hired them to start. It's like giving Peter credit for bringing in Claude as coach, and ignoring that his first choice here was Dave Lewis...:laugh:

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008

You're right that those picks were Bradley and Dore. Just like the botched picks come from scouts, too. You do realize that GM's are the lead dog in very few draft picks, right? They don't have the time to be all over the world scouting these players year round. So they are relying on their director of amateur scouting and scouts for the most part. Drafting is the aspect of GM'ing that a GM has the least personal say over due to the amount of time and traveling that goes into scouting.

With our weak draft record, Chiarelli has done a poor job of hiring the right people for those roles. We'll see whether he improved in that when he fired Wayne Smith and hired Keith Gretzky to be our director of amateur scouting. Pastrnak looks like a home run for him in year 1, though I didn't like the hire initially because I don't love Gretzky's work in PHX when you consider how high they picked. So not ready to buy in yet, but we'll see, would be tough to do worse than Smith did at the helm.

And for the record, seems pretty obvious Chiarelli wasn't heavily involved in those picks. Unlike the Chara and Savard signings, that kind of tampering in the wide open of the draft floor would be very difficult to pull off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad