Alt Isles logos???

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

At 1:30ish King talks about the press conference to introduce the fisherman jersey. He said they showed alternatives that they didn't go with. Has anyone ever seen these? If you have pictures by all means please post them, but if not, do you remember what they were like?

I remember reading a long time ago that Roy Boe originally wanted the isles colors to be Green and Black, but was talked out of it in favor of the brighter blue & orange.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Cool video! I still can't believe they chose the fisherman jerseys over some other jerseys without sombody having a gun to their head.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007

At 1:30ish King talks about the press conference to introduce the fisherman jersey. He said they showed alternatives that they didn't go with. Has anyone ever seen these? If you have pictures by all means please post them, but if not, do you remember what they were like?

I remember reading a long time ago that Roy Boe originally wanted the isles colors to be Green and Black, but was talked out of it in favor of the brighter blue & orange.

Damn you ! Now I need to know what the other concepts were !! Lol where was the location of the video taken with all the jerseys behind the one guy talking ? A team store ? I want a blue fisherman jersey.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I've actually reached out to Botta when he was running IPB on this issue. But he never got back to me.

Maybe if we all bombard Botta & Staple we can get some pictures :)

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
I don't remember any hint of them being released. At the time the same design firm was reworking both the Islanders and Capitals logos/uniforms. The Caps got released first and they were sharp, which raised the anticipation and expectations even amongst those of us who never wanted to see the logo changed.

Then about a week or two later they released the Isles logo and the rest is history, heralding in the era of misery.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
I used to intern at WBAB in the mid 90s. A few people had close ties with the Isles. (They were trying to get an Isles/BAB deal type of thing going.)

I asked one of them about the alternate logos and was told this, "One of them, imagine that fisherman dude in a boat fishing with that hockey stick"

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
i know I'm in the minority here. but i like the fisherman jersey. i like it better than the black jerseys or the stupid outdoor game jerseys, and its not even close.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
i know I'm in the minority here. but i like the fisherman jersey. i like it better than the black jerseys or the stupid outdoor game jerseys, and its not even close.

but the fisherman replaced our logo. the awful black jersey and the outdoor jersey (now the third jersey, i think) were just temporary/alternates.

if the fisherman (or the lighthouse) was introduced as an alternate maybe reaction would have been different, though the wavy letters/numbers/stripes and the teal (which, why, aside from it being the 90s) were monstrosities.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
The black jersey of death is literally the worst jersey I've seen of any team ever, so glad it's gone.

The outdoor jersey ones are definitely acceptable, not bad at all.

Fisherman is cool now because we aren't wearing it anymore.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008

Only if the Lighthouse was the logo instead of the stupid fisherman - on those jerseys - it wouldn't have been the disaster it was.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
There are no redeeming qualities of the fisherman jerseys, the colors are horrible, the logo is a joke and I wisk they would have all been destroyed! Worse than the black jerseys, and those are BAD. You don't mess with perfection and our original uniforms are perfect

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
There are no redeeming qualities of the fisherman jerseys, the colors are horrible, the logo is a joke and I wisk they would have all been destroyed! Worse than the black jerseys, and those are BAD. You don't mess with perfection and our original uniforms are perfect

My thoughts exactly.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
When they play those 'games' at the refurbished NVMC in 2035... I think the time has past for the lighthouse - it could have been similar to the palm trees for FL. With the BC move, the lighthouse doesn't really fit the scheme.

not for nothing, but neither does our name and logo. There are some concessions though...

Firstly, I'm hopeful that they'll introduce Brooklyn & Queens into the classic isles logo. We just can't have our logo be a map of where we play & where we actually play isn't on our map logo. This is a change that definitely should happen & even the purists really shouldn't complain about it. I also think that with Wang more or less out, I have higher hopes for our future in Brooklyn. I know for a fact that Brooklyn won't give a damn about the isles if we aren't a winner. If we're the same ho hum Isles, then I am 100% positive that within 3 years we will start hearing serious talk about rebranding (including a new name). However, as I said I have higher hopes for our future with our core group of players/prospects & new owners.

Last edited:

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
I think this could have been a first pass at Fisherman logo...

simpsons-logo-islanders.png

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
not for nothing, but neither does our name and logo. There are some concessions though...

Firstly, I'm hopeful that they'll introduce Brooklyn & Queens into the classic isles logo. We just can't have our logo be a map of where we play & where we actually play isn't on our map logo. This is a change that definitely should happen & even the purists really shouldn't complain about it. I also think that with Wang more or less out, I have higher hopes for our future in Brooklyn. I know for a fact that Brooklyn won't give a damn about the isles if we aren't a winner. If we're the same ho hum Isles, then I am 100% positive that within 3 years we will start hearing serious talk about rebranding (including a new name). However, as I said I have higher hopes for our future with our core group of players/prospects & new owners.

You can bet the BC Isles will do a significant amount of research on the Isles crest. If the brooklyn third is a hit with the new Fanbase, I see them swapping and the traditional becomes the third.

Yes, I know what Wang said. But in year 2 of BC it will No longer be his decision .

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
You can bet the BC Isles will do a significant amount of research on the Isles crest. If the brooklyn third is a hit with the new Fanbase, I see them swapping and the traditional becomes the third.

Yes, I know what Wang said. But in year 2 of BC it will No longer be his decision .

Last year Isles fans inundated Yormark with concerns about the primary colors/logo/jerseys. We have two years to do the same with Ledecky and Malkin.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
So was the fisherman jersey
A- Gortons fisherman
Or
B- Stan fischler
That's how I remember it when it was introduced

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
I understand why so many isles fans want to keep our logo and colors. I am for sure in the minority when I saying don’t only mind if we switch logos or colors but I’d kind of rather us do. Yea we did have a great history but after these past two decades our logo and colors have become a symbol of losing to other teams and fans. Not only in hockey but that blue and orange is just associated with a losing culture in New York. We need something either appealing or aggressive or both.

If I were the owner I would do something like my avatar logo(the lighthouse) as our actual logo. With our original logo as shoulder patches. And I would make our colors a gun metal gray with orange.

It would make our team more appealing to fans of other teams as well. I know in the beginning of each season I always buy a jersey from a western conference team and follow them all season based on their roster and how their jerseys look. Our roster is starting to look real fresh and I think we need a fresh look to go along with our new owners and our win soon mentality.

BroadwayJay*

I understand why so many isles fans want to keep our logo and colors. I am for sure in the minority when I saying don’t only mind if we switch logos or colors but I’d kind of rather us do. Yea we did have a great history but after these past two decades our logo and colors have become a symbol of losing to other teams and fans. Not only in hockey but that blue and orange is just associated with a losing culture in New York. We need something either appealing or aggressive or both.

If I were the owner I would do something like my avatar logo(the lighthouse) as our actual logo. With our original logo as shoulder patches. And I would make our colors a gun metal gray with orange.

It would make our team more appealing to fans of other teams as well. I know in the beginning of each season I always buy a jersey from a western conference team and follow them all season based on their roster and how their jerseys look. Our roster is starting to look real fresh and I think we need a fresh look to go along with our new owners and our win soon mentality.

I must be just too old for this, but I'm speechless.

You follow another team? You pick a new one every year?

YOU OWN SWEATERS FROM ANOTHER TEAM?

I'm definitely too old for this.

Blue and orange - forever.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

If you think about our logos/jerseys for the past 20 years of futility, we've actually done relatively little losing in the royal blue/orange

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
I must be just too old for this, but I'm speechless.

You follow another team? You pick a new one every year?

YOU OWN SWEATERS FROM ANOTHER TEAM?

I'm definitely too old for this.

Blue and orange - forever.

Well you definitely missunderstood what i was trying to say. I am a diehard isles fan and nothing can compare to my love for this team. But i only watch one sport and thats hockey. I choose a team from the west to follow as a second favorite for the year.

82 games sometimes just isnt enough. i do not know maybe it is because i wasnt alive during the dynasty.But i have followed every year since i was old enough to understand hockey. (mid 90's)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad