Also ECHL did it. New web design.

Do you like the new design?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
it looks like some individual team sites are going to the same format. I wonder if all of them eventually will.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
While I'm pretty normal in that I tend to dislike "upgrades" on websites, so far the ECHL.com "upgrade" seems anything but.

The overuse of graphics and a few other things suggest to me that the person in charge of the project isn't a sports fan. You simply don't eliminate (or possibly make them very hard to find) regular box scores if you are.

Last edited:

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
A few things I noticed this morning:

- Standings Section on the front page doesn't function as well as it should, doesn't have the up-to-date Standings. (Dedicated Standings page works fine)
- Weekly/Monthly Awards Area in the front page is gone.
- Game ticker up top only has a few of the games that are happening this week/weekend, leaving an empty space where more games should be.
- Schedules have the Home team on the left, not the right, which I find a little confusing.
- The search function doesn't allow you to find anything that was posted recently
- Statistics page doesn't allow you to sort by anything (or it does, but takes forever)

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
They should have kept both sites running and let us users break the new one so they'd know what to fix.

The server that hosted the old site has to be up somewhere still. I'm pretty sure the mobile app is still pulling certain information from it.

Edit: After doing some digging on the app, looks like that all lead back to leaguestat/hockeytech, looks like the base of the app was developed for the ECHL using the LS/HT APIs. Nobody here probably understands a bit of what that is, so in basic terms it's getting all it's data from the Hockeytech servers.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Played around on echl.com and figured out how to get a game sheet.

Step 1....click menu.
Step 2....click schedule.
Step 3...click team of choosing ("by team")
Step 4...click game center.

It's as easy as 1,2,3,4. Problem is that it should be as easy as 1,2.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Played around on echl.com and figured out how to get a game sheet.

Step 1....click menu.
Step 2....click schedule.
Step 3...click team of choosing.
Step 4...click game center.

It's as easy as 1,2,3,4. Problem is that it should be as easy as 1,2.
I presume that's using the app, which is unchanged...it's the website that's an issue.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
That's not the "Game Center" we're all looking for. We're looking for the one they used last season that was a single page that showed all the information on the game.

EDIT: The game sheet link is new, but still not what we're looking for.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I presume that's using the app, which is unchanged...it's the website that's an issue.
I hadn't noticed the this thoughtful notice on their new flash page until this past weekend ...
If you notice any disruptions during this early launch, please let us know at [email protected] so that we can fix this for you and others enjoying the ECHL site.
Oh, how generous of them to invite all of us to fix their product.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
That's not the "Game Center" we're all looking for. We're looking for the one they used last season that was a single page that showed all the information on the game.

EDIT: The game sheet link is new, but still not what we're looking for.
Isn't this just a matter of HockeyTech finally revamping & rebranding their ECHL web content after acquiring LeagueStat 4 years ago? Change was inevitable, and their new product launch/stumble clearly indicates a lack of concern for long-time fans' preferences.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Isn't this just a matter of HockeyTech finally revamping & rebranding their ECHL web content after acquiring LeagueStat 4 years ago? Change was inevitable, and their new product launch/stumble clearly indicates a lack of concern for long-time fans' preferences.

There are plenty of other leagues that still use HockeyTech like the AHL, looks like the ECHL is still using that on the new site too.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
You don't "revamp" and "rebrand" by removing the things people went to your site for in the first place. That is a recipe for complete failure.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
You don't "revamp" and "rebrand" by removing the things people went to your site for in the first place. That is a recipe for complete failure.
Short-sighted marketing is not uncommon. "Newer, faster, flashier" take precedence over tried & true.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that the new ECHL website completely sucks a**
But they very succinctly warn visitors of the a** sucking conditions on their flash page.
Please excuse any experience on our site that isn't working correctly as we are working to improve the functionality to maximize your access for the 2018-19 Season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad