Already drafted CSB list

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
This might have gotten lost in another thread from Douglas. Every year we have a few players on CSB that were drafted the previous season and mucks things up when the draft results for rounds 4-7 come out with teams drafting already drafted players so lets get a list going to minimize this.

Here's the first two identified players:
Henrik Erikson (Euro skater 35) - Detroit
Anton Blomqvist (Euro skater 164) - Minnesota

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Did a little leg-work...

Name (CSB 2009 Ranking) - HFNHL team - Round/Position drafted

Joonas Rask (EU90) - NYI 4/100
Anton Blomqvist (EU154) - MIN 4/111
Mikko Koskinen (EUG2) - BUF 5/128
Jaroslav Janus (NAG13) - BUF 5/131
Mattias Ekholm (EU113) - VAN 5/135
*Sebastien Erixon (EU114) - Drafted in 2007
Henrik Eriksson (EU35) - DET 5/141
Robin Olsson (EU160) - NYI 6/170
Tomi Sallinen (EU121) - TAM 7/181
Jared Festler (NA 112) - VAN 7/196
Anders Lee (NA118) - CGY 7/199 (nice pickup, by the way!)
Maxim Chudinov (EU179) - PHI 7/202

That's all I caught, but no guarantees that this is a comprehensive list, so if you're thinking of drafting an overage player, make sure to do your homework!

***EDIT: Updated to add Jared Festler, and include Sebastien Erixon, who was drafted in 2007***

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The next challenge is to put together the list of guys last year who got picked in the NHL, but were *not* picked in the HFNHL, meaning they're still available for our entry draft.

Mind you, I don't expect anyone to help with that, since it's usually a decent place to find some later round gems... ;)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The next challenge is to put together the list of guys last year who got picked in the NHL, but were *not* picked in the HFNHL, meaning they're still available for our entry draft.

Mind you, I don't expect anyone to help with that, since it's usually a decent place to find some later round gems... ;)

I'll give you the list for a draft pick ;)

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Yeah, yeah - I've got few enough picks this year as it is, thanks. I guess I'll just have to do the homework myself. Not that it'll matter - you and Drew will scoop them all anyway. ;)

It'll be Brock since I only have a couple of Day 2 picks this year and frankly he can have them all (except one) since there's not much there this time round. Maybe others will feel stronger about some of those other (mainly high school picks) leftovers.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
This may be a dumb question, but something I wouldn't mind clarification on...

Perhaps I just don't understand the inner workings of the rules about the NHL draft, but how exactly do players get picked in the HFNHL draft last year that are still yet to be drafted in the NHL and rated for this years draft? Do players simply become draft eligible at a certain age then remain that way for a few years until they become too old and a UFA like some of the college players everyone has been after this year? I'm more familiar with something like the NFL or NBA draft where players are eligible to be drafted a particular year and become FAs if not selected.

Default101

Perhaps I just don't understand the inner workings of the rules about the NHL draft, but how exactly do players get picked in the HFNHL draft last year that are still yet to be drafted in the NHL and rated for this years draft? Do players simply become draft eligible at a certain age then remain that way for a few years until they become too old and a UFA like some of the college players everyone has been after this year? I'm more familiar with something like the NFL or NBA draft where players are eligible to be drafted a particular year and become FAs if not selected.

We draft a week before the NHL, so if we percieve for example Anders Lee is the best guy left and will get drafted, we draft him. If the NHL doesn't draft him we can choose to hold onto them rather than throwing them away because they didn't get drafted that year. It's tougher but i like it more this way.

Default101

lol not as many as some years but there's a good 10 or so out there, i spread out my work.. like write down the guys who get picked that didn't get picked after the NHL draft is over, then when this draft comes around i look more into them beacsue by now there should be enough information out there.. but as Brock said a 3rd or 4th round pick may be sufficent to get my list off my hands :sarcasm:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

Jeff, with our draft (unlike any other FHL league I've seen or been involved with), we hold our entry draft BEFORE the NHL does.

Therefore, some of our "genius" selections end up going undrafted, despite whether we may think we've hit the jackpot. Conversely, other players fall through the cracks of our 7 rounds, and then get drafted in the NHL draft (some quite high).

So then the following HFNHL draft, quite often teams will include these players on their draft lists, because they still fit within the age regulations (1989-1991 NA, 1987-1991 Euro), and because they are already high NHL draft picks. For example, Steve Mason was someone who went undrafted in our HFNHL draft, then got drafted by Columbus in the NHL draft, then the following year was drafted into the HFNHL.

So essentially, any player not yet drafted in the HFNHL, and fitting within the age regulations, is eligible to be drafted at next weekend's festivities.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Flames Previously Drafted list

NA 118 - Anders Lee
EU 114 - Sebastian Erixon

Other eligible players but not on the CSB list but just in case

Euros:
Johan Erkgards
Maxim Isaev
Ondrej Rusnak

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North

One of your questions that didn't really get addressed is that, yes, in the NHL (and HFNHL) players are draft-eligible from age 18 to age 20. The specific birthdates at each extreme will be listed in the detailed draft rules, which should be posted shortly, but I'm pretty sure they'll be January 1, 1989 to September 15, 1991. So depending on where their birthday is players can pass through as many as three entry drafts. Players who have not been drafted, but who choose to go pro, can be signed as UFAs in the HFNHL, but generally speaking most players who are undrafted at age 18 simply re-enter the draft at age 19, so you'll notice some birthdates from '89 and early '90 in this year's draft eligibles, as well as the late '90s and early '91s.

You're right, it is different from the NFL and MBA in that way, but those leagues both tend to be drafting players right onto their rosters, rather than drafting players who may (with a few notable exceptions) reach the big league in 3-5 years.

Hope this helps!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad