Allegations against Bill Peters while head coach of Rockford

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Yikes. Not a good look for Bill Peters, or a lot of the Hawks upper management.

Edit: Provided, as was mentioned below, that the Hawks management had any idea of this type of behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDF

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I highly doubt Peters (or even Aliu for that matter) told management about the racist remarks.

Yeah, this is all in the way too early to judge territory, but I have a hard time imagining that if what Aliu said was true that Peters would've mentioned anything obviously racist as his reason for not liking him to Hawks management.

Fair points. I'll wait to see if it's reported that McDonough/Bowman were made aware of this before placing blame on them.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
First off, why is he bringing this up 10 years later? If this happened, it was during the 2009-2010 season. He's been all over the place since then, why is this just coming out? A kid who refused to be hazed, spoke out about it, and got his teeth knocked out for it in juniors, had n-bombs dropped on him, and didn't say anything for a decade? I find this hard to believe. To say the least.

Second, this has what to do with Babcock? Babcock is accused of .....being a jerk off. He's accusing Peters of racism here. How are these two linked at all, aside from Peters being Babcock's assistant for a couple years? Seems like he is just latching this onto the Babcock media train for exposure.

Third, he seems to be drawing some kind of correlation between that, and his hockey career? He had plenty of opportunities, all over the AHL and NHL, and stuck with nobody. Peters didn't ruin your hockey career. You did. Probably because of the following...

Fourth, this guy is a known head case. He had the crap in Blackhawks camp in 2008, where was being a POS and attacking fellow prospects. I remember him getting in a couple fights because he was cross checking or slashing guys for absolutely no reason. And he was picking those fights with little guys, to boot. He broke his hand in a bar fight in Toronto. He got kicked off IK Pantern just last year, after trashing a bunch of stuff in the hallway after the game, and then hitting the AIK goalie in the face when he confronted him.... He went on to deny that happened, even though his contract was terminated.

There's absolutely no reason to believe this, as of now. This looks like a guy who knows his window is closed, his 15 minutes is up, and is trying to get back into the spotlight any way he can. Of course, there's always the possibility there is some truth to this, but I just don't see it.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Yeah, this is all in the way too early to judge territory, but I have a hard time imagining that if what Aliu said was true that Peters would've mentioned anything obviously racist as his reason for not liking him to Hawks management.
Right? It's not like Peters was like "Hey, Stan. I'm a piece of shit and called one of our prospects a racial slur. Send him down please."

He probably lied and said something like "Hey, Stan. Akim has been acting up and I think he should be sent down."

Hard to blame Stan here when he was probably left in the dark and nobody spoke up about it. He could very well be hearing about this now for the first time, and I wouldn't be surprised if an apology was issued.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Obviously I don't know hat was between Aliu and Peters, but one questions that I have is why Aliu has not been able to stick ANYWHERE for a full season since his draft?

Saw him at his 1st Hawks camp and wasn't impressed, but there must be something to his bouncing around for such a high pick.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Obviously I don't know hat was between Aliu and Peters, but one questions that I have is why Aliu has not been able to stick ANYWHERE for a full season since his draft?

Saw him at his 1st Hawks camp and wasn't impressed, but there must be something to his bouncing around for such a high pick.

From everything I have heard, he's a POS. Apparently in juniors he kept getting kicked out of his billet homes because of his behavior. On top of everything else that has been public as a pro. That's not to say this didn't happen, but it isn't far fetched to think he's lying. Who knows. Certainly interesting to see how this plays out.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yikes. Not a good look for Bill Peters, or a lot of the Hawks upper management.

Edit: Provided, as was mentioned below, that the Hawks management had any idea of this type of behavior.
thing is this was the mentality of the NHL back then .... am i justifying it, NO but i bet there are more stories like this.

i have alway like Alui

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
thing is this was the mentality of the NHL back then .... am i justifying it, NO but i bet there are more stories like this.

i have alway like Alui

We're only talking about a decade ago.... dropping the n-bomb wasn't really considered a-okay in the way back time of the aughts...

I feel like if this wasn’t true Bill Peters would have denied it by now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames have him cloistered and are in the middle of a marathon discussion about every memory he has of being mean to players to cover their bases before letting him talk. The last thing the Flames would want would be to back him with the claim that he never said anything racist to black people only for whoops now here are allegations of him being homophobic or racist to other groups.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
We're only talking about a decade ago.... dropping the n-bomb wasn't really considered a-okay in the way back time of the aughts...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames have him cloistered and are in the middle of a marathon discussion about every memory he has of being mean to players to cover their bases before letting him talk. The last thing the Flames would want would be to back him with the claim that he never said anything racist to black people only for whoops now here are allegations of him being homophobic or racist to other groups.
the point being is the nhl had that attitude and it was changing.

what compounded the situation is Akiu is a super hot head and maybe a team willing to work with him in identifying his anger issues ...... they just discarded him.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

i have alway like Alui

You're saying 10 years ago it was the mentality of the NHL to allow coaches to call players racial slurs? WTF? I'd have to say no... no it wasn't. If you remember, there was a black guy on the Hawks 10 years ago, goes by the name of Dustin Byfuglien...

I highly doubt the Hawks upper-management, or FO, had any idea that this happened the way it did... They've even come out with a formal statement that they had no idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad