Celebrity Death: Allan Williams, The Beatles' first manager, dies

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/31/entertainment/allan-williams-beatles-manager-obit/index.html

While Brian Epstein gets all the credit--Williams was the manager that booked the band into Germany--he was also their driver. He gave the Beatles to Epstein--depending on the source because he knew he did all he could do or the Epstein conned him out of it.

Not a well known name, but he was the first guy to see something special in the then fab five(Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best were still in the band)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'm not really sure I would consider him a "celebrity".

I think we are really reaching now to try to throw as many names in as possible in 2016 to make it look worse than it was.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'm not really sure I would consider him a "celebrity".

I think we are really reaching now to try to throw as many names in as possible in 2016 to make it look worse than it was.

here in the UK he more or less invented the Liverpool scene and that is one reason I waited for CNN to post his obit. Why would CNN and other us agency report his death? this was not just the UK guys reporting it

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Read his book "The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away'. Maybe not 100% accurate, but very entertaining.

600816_arnhem-war-memorial.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Read his book "The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away'. Maybe not 100% accurate, but very entertaining.

he was on English TV a few years ago and said he thought the Beatles were ****. But that is when they had Best on drums and Stu in the band.

But he does get credit for on big thing--sending the Beatles to Germany and Paul, George and John is said that is what made them a band(and of course they became better friends with a guy named Ringo--who Williams called the luckiest SOB to live)--when he sent the Beatles to Hamburg many other bands there were pissed because the Beatles at the time were not taken seriously and the bands truly thought they would screw things up for the other Liverpool bands there.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
here in the UK he more or less invented the Liverpool scene and that is one reason I waited for CNN to post his obit. Why would CNN and other us agency report his death? this was not just the UK guys reporting it

They are reporting it because of the Beatle connection. What percentage of the population ever heard of the guy? 3%?

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Are you guys really arguing if someone was a big enough celebrity to be included with the group of 2016?

Caring about someone's status over remembering their impact on the earth (however small it is) is pretty awful.

RIP Allan Williams & thanks for recognizing the amazing talent in Liverpool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad