All Time Top 3 Best Winning World Cup Teams - Voting.

Best World Cup Winning Team of all time is..

• 1930, Uruguay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1934, Italy

• 1938, Italy

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 1950, Uruguay

• 1954, West Germany

• 1958, Brazil

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • 1962, Brazil

• 1966, England

• 1970, Brazil

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • 1974, West Germany

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 1978, Argentina

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 1982, Italy

• 1986, Argentina

• 1990, West Germany

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • 1994, Brazil

• 1998, France

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • 2002, Brazil

• 2006, Italy

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 2010, Spain

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • 2014, Germany

• 2018, France

• Total voters

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, 2014 Germany wasnt even the best team in the final...not deserving based on their performance in that game alone. Just saying.

Reactions: BMann

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I find it helpful to carry out a process of elimination.

Argentina 1986. If you say Maradona won the tournament on his own, all you're doing is admitting you didn't watch the final, where a legitimate case can be made that he was Argentina's fourth most important contributor. This was, for me, a 'last man standing' story of the type cup football inevitably throws up from time to time - they navigated the easier half of the draw. The victory against England is so famously controversial it needs to be emphasised that overall the spectacle was rotten - both teams played in mortal fear of leaving space. In that game, it is valid to say Argentina pretty much left it to Maradona to win it on his own, yet his mere presence spooked Bobby Robson into silly levels of caution that wasted Glenn Hoddle and Beardsley, as well as starving Lineker of service for above 70 minutes, by which time the match was as good as lost.

That team was very well rounded with Maradona the special ingredient. In the final he was closely marked but his mere presence disturbed the German pattern of play. And of course he provided the assist for the third with a perfect through ball with a little backspin. Teams had to adjust for him including Bobby Robson because he knew if left unchecked he could run riot. Fenwick had already been booked and therefore did not bring him down for the free kick. Watching the game again recently Argentina had the better of the play for most of the match before easing off at 2-0 up.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
That's pared us down to:

Mind, it's a pity that Argentinian politics denied us sight of a team that could have included Di Stefano and Omar Sivori. Instead, Di Stefano was playing for a Spain that failed to qualify past Scotland, despite his having Kubala, Luis Suarez and Gento for a supporting cast. Still, none of that was Brazil's fault. I've listed my nominees (taking account of the competition they faced) in reverse order, with Brazil 58 at the zenith.

Referring back to the South American Championship of 1957 refereed entirely by European officials it is interesting to think of what might have been. Argentina beat Brazil in the penultimate group game (the format being all seven sides played each other - no Paraguay, Bolivia or Venezuela) 3-0 with relative ease and in addition to the three fine young attackers had Sanfillipo as well and twenty one year old Corbatta whose talent was equal to Garrincha and Messi and a similar style of player. Brazil had most of their 1958 squad there barring Pele. Didi, Garrincha, Nilton and Djalma Santos and central general Zito among others.

There is very little footage of the game but it was an enthralling encounter.

h

Brian Clough the greatest manager England has produced regarded the FA as standing for something but not Football Association. It has been pretty shambolic for many major decisions going awry but it is nothing compared to the incompetence of the AFA. They struck off all the players that went to Europe. managed to lose di Stefano and refused to go to Brazil in 1950. di Stefano might have been on the wane in 1958 as the senior statesmen among a youthful squad but it would have been a magnificent sight to see him in midfield orchestrating Angelillo and Sivori with Corbatta darting down the right. As it is Sivori ended up like other oriundi before him for Italy but never at a World Cup. Argentina at full strength in 1958 may well have been in a great position to take the title. As it was they fell out at the group stage with a whimper.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
In the final he was closely marked but his mere presence disturbed the German pattern of play. And of course he provided the assist for the third with a perfect through ball with a little backspin. Teams had to adjust for him including Bobby Robson because he knew if left unchecked he could run riot. Fenwick had already been booked and therefore did not bring him down for the free kick. Watching the game again recently Argentina had the better of the play for most of the match before easing off at 2-0 up.

I agree completely with the bolded. As we both appreciate, but too many people choose to ignore, his disruptive presence would have counted for nothing had none of the others been able to play.

I wouldn't say Argentina 'had the better of the play' against England - as I wrote, I don't think there was much play. However, they gave me the impression of having extra gears they could access if they needed to throw off caution, whereas (and this is a classic national failing) England didn't seem to have the first clue how to commit to attack without leaving themselves exposed (consider how Peter Reid pushed upfield early on - which had ruinous consequences in the second half when all he could do in response to Maradona beginning his famous dribble was break into a weary trot). Given the team contained a fair few players with good technique, my perspective is that represented a signal failure of organisation on Robson's part.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Yeah, 2014 Germany wasnt even the best team in the final...not deserving based on their performance in that game alone. Just saying.

My memory of the final is a that it was pretty even, and that I always felt Germany the likelier winners. (I can't remember whether our post histories still go back that far, allowing me to test whether I've rewritten my past thoughts). Admittedly, aside from Gotze's goal I recall Argentina's chances more clearly than Germany's.

Perhaps I'll have to add it to my dangerously expanding list of games to review.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It was a tight game with a lot of caution on both sides, but Argentina weren’t the better team. They had some chances but none better than Höwedes’ open header that hit the post.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
My memory of the final is a that it was pretty even, and that I always felt Germany the likelier winners. (I can't remember whether our post histories still go back that far, allowing me to test whether I've rewritten my past thoughts). Admittedly, aside from Gotze's goal I recall Argentina's chances more clearly than Germany's.

Perhaps I'll have to add it to my dangerously expanding list of games to review.

I watched it during our Covid footy starvation. It only confirmed what my initial thoughts were. Argentina had the more and the better chances up until Gotze. Leading up to the final German were heavy favorites on here and especially after the 7-1 game. While Argentina were playing defensive footy and getting bailed out by Messi on offence. Most didnt give them a chance but it was never going to be an easy game.

It was a tight game with a lot of caution on both sides, but Argentina weren’t the better team. They had some chances but none better than Höwedes’ open header that hit the post.

Howedes who should've been sent early in the first half... and From a corner. Argentina had 6/7 chances with the obvious one going to Pipita. There was also Palacios, Messi's among others.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Howedes who should've been sent early in the first half... and From a corner. Argentina had 6/7 chances with the obvious one going to Pipita. There was also Palacios, Messi's among others.

It was a perfectly executed corner with an open header going exactly where it was meant to go. 9/10 times that's in the back of the net, that time it hit the post. The Argentinian chances weren't sitters, they required the application of technical skills in snap situations which is never a sure thing. They were also not the result of superior team play either.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It was a perfectly executed corner with an open header going exactly where it was meant to go. 9/10 times that's in the back of the net, that time it hit the post. The Argentinian chances weren't sitters, they required the application of technical skills in snap situations which is never a sure thing. They were also not the result of superior team play either.
No one said they were sitters. With the exception of Higuain's chance they is a goal 99/100 from a German give away the rest were created by Argentina.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Italy 06 was hardly exciting.
And Brazil 70 is the greatest brazilian side.
Agreed on all counts, I was going for Italia that year but they were a defensive club first and foremost. Honestly the most amazing aspect in that series was the corner goal and Zidane's headbutt.

I voted 1990 West Germany, 1970 Brasil, and one of the random Argentina squads. LOL at the people voting for 2010 Spain, nahhhhhhhhhh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad